I know dupes and gifted matters in unusuals....but is history in unusuals really that matters?

Fee Too Pee

First off, i just want to ask people around. i know dupes is already kinda weird reason, but its logical, if theres dupes and clean in market then dupes is cheaper make sense. gifted make your unusual have someone else name is kinda logical too. But is hisotry of the past owner matters too? i mean like, REALLY? 

It usually DOES matter on rare, highly desirable, and high tier hats. It occasionally matters if the hat is desired OR high tier. It rarely matters if it is none of those things.

What's the point of having an unusual? Most people want something that makes them stand out or unique. And a lot of traders don't want a hat that has been around the block a lot or a hat that has been duped and is owned by other people or has been gifted showing other people wore it before. Particularly in this day and age where unusuals are so plentiful, the idea of a rare, desirable, high tier hat with a very short history is quite appealing to a lot of high tier traders. 

No, not really except for god tier hats (burning tc, Ke...etc) because some traders prefer to have a nice short history kinda like how many collectors prefer to make the collectors items themselves rather than buy it made already from someone else.

Also worth noting dupes come from steam restoring backpacks, if the history of a hat has multiple scammers/phishers and the hat is still clean, it has a larger percentage that the hat probably will become duped down the line (steam can take a few weeks to restore backpacks) hence some traders try to avoid them however they are in the minority.

No

No

I can't disagree more. 

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/26177141- I sold my burning tossle for my b/o in pure. The guy even offered me 10 keys extra due to the history. 

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/26158144- I sold my clean scorching stash within a day due to its history

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/25815097- I sold my beams veil for more in value than other veils on the market because of the history

Note, the tossle is not a 200+ key hat. In fact, I've even had people offer me more than market b/os on hats ~50 keys in value. 

A few things to consider here. Just because two hats sell for the same amount in pure, doesn't mean they are worth the same. Time to sale is extremely important. If one hat sells in a day for 160 keys with a history of 2 and another hat sells for 160 keys in 1 month, hat number 1 clearly has more value. Also, this is highly dependent on the hat in question. Rarity, desirability are so important. Maybe more important than the value of the hat itself. I would take a clean beams, PE modest as a pure equivalent any day. They sell for pure like candy, especially if they have a short history. 

I can't disagree more. 

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/26177141- I sold my burning tossle for my b/o in pure. The guy even offered me 10 keys extra due to the history. 

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/26158144- I sold my clean scorching stash within a day due to its history

http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/25815097- I sold my beams veil for more in value than other veils on the market because of the history

Note, the tossle is not a 200+ key hat. In fact, I've even had people offer me more than market b/os on hats ~50 keys in value. 

A few things to consider here. Just because two hats sell for the same amount in pure, doesn't mean they are worth the same. Time to sale is extremely important. If one hat sells in a day for 160 keys with a history of 2 and another hat sells for 160 keys in 1 month, hat number 1 clearly has more value. Also, this is highly dependent on the hat in question. Rarity, desirability are so important. Maybe more important than the value of the hat itself. I would take a clean beams, PE modest as a pure equivalent any day. They sell for pure like candy, especially if they have a short history. 

so it does really matters.... i just do not get it about the history thing , but oh well its people i quess you cannot understand them all

so it does really matters.... i just do not get it about the history thing , but oh well its people i quess you cannot understand them all

I don't want to confuse you. Let me be clear, it only matters on certain hats. It takes a long, long time to understand what makes traders tic. I know someone offered a friend double the value on his clean burning modest just because it was the first of its kind to be unboxed. Understanding what matters and what hats sell for in pure and how quickly they sell for pure taking into account the class, hat, effect, history is what makes unusual trading what it is. It may seem difficult. It may seem illogical. But there's a method to the madness. It just takes time to understand. 

being a collector myself i commonly hunt for hats with the smallest history possible

If one is unavailable with a short history i just buy the shortest possible, often paying a small premium for the small history

it does matter somewhat

Polar will always give you the best information. I will add that, even tho this concept only effects a tiny number of hats, traders will use this to try and get a better margin in trades on a wide veriety of hats.

http://backpack.tf/item/1214381633 i-its not like I've butchered the history on my phantom or anything by letting people wear it... (not like it really matters anyway since its the only clean one that will see the light of day for a long time ^^) and yes is letting another friend wear it T___T

High tier wise, it matters. took 1 week to quicksell a scorching croc at 72 with 3 man history. I personally prefer short history halloween effects especially the overheads 1st halloween ones like cloudy moon etc,tbh i don't care about gen 1,2,3 's histories since they seem to have the same uncratable chance in #90 and above.

As others have said, it does matter on god-tiers, less so on anything else.  The reason for that though is not only that they're god-tiers and rare, it also has to do with who's buying these hats.  These buyers are the true collectors, the people that have put a substantial amount of time and in a lot of cases money into the game.  If they're going to spend 600 keys on a hat, yes, they will want the cleanest (i.e. shortest history and non-duped) available.  They are collectors, they want something that truly stands out.  Most people however are just trading hats to make a bit of profit or to have something nice to wear in-game, and here the length of the history doesn't really matter much.   Also important to note that traders will try to use anything to get more value out of their hat, however, a short history on a 40 key hat with 5 others on the market is hardly going to do anything to raise the price.  It will probably get more offers than the others though.  

Archived