Ross Ulbricht Jailed for life

dabaers

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32941060

Dread Pirate Roberts got jailed for life for operating the Silk Road. For those who don't know what that is, it was a website where you could buy any drug you wanted, credit cards, fake bills, weapons, you name it. Very popular for what it was, shut down by feds. Now sites like agora fill the void.

Thoughts?

He deserved it. He operated pretty much an online black market and he paid the price for it. Good.

he was a fucking idiot anyways.

"How can I connect to a Tor hidden service using curl in php?"

He asked that using his real name. (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15445285/how-can-i-connect-to-a-tor-hidden-service-using-curl-in-php)

He later changed his name to "frosty".

oh and guess what else... the encryption key on the silk road server ended with "frosty@frosty." what a fucking moron

Not surprised. The Silk Road always seems to get shut down or their staff jailed by the most stupidest mistakes that could have easily been avoided if they were smarter.

iirc, a previous Silk Road admin/staff was caught and jailed because he used his personal gmail account on the onion site for his login or something. 

Trial was TOTALLY fixed. The feds don't want a transparent drug market because that ruins their grip on the drug market (if you don't know how they have control over drugs, look it up. It's not hard to find). Four of the six murders-for-hire he was allegedly involved in were scams. The other two were undercover agents.

If you believe "justice" was served, you are wrong. Whether you think the sentence was correct or not (personally I think he should be a free man...), the man was framed and he has not got a fair trial... he's been set up by the FBI, DEA, CIA.

Also this guy made drugs so much safer to use... finally people could get drugs that were actually confirmed quality, lab-tested, and pure. The guy was basically a hero for drug harm reduction.

The fake credentials that were sold on SR were a problem, but ultimately I believe the site did more good than harm.

Trial was TOTALLY fixed. The feds don't want a transparent drug market because that ruins their grip on the drug market (if you don't know how they have control over drugs, look it up. It's not hard to find). Four of the six murders-for-hire he was allegedly involved in were scams. The other two were undercover agents.

If you believe "justice" was served, you are wrong. Whether you think the sentence was correct or not (personally I think he should be a free man...), the man was framed and he has not got a fair trial... he's been set up by the FBI, DEA, CIA.

Also this guy made drugs so much safer to use... finally people could get drugs that were actually confirmed quality, lab-tested, and pure. The guy was basically a hero for drug harm reduction.

The fake credentials that were sold on SR were a problem, but ultimately I believe the site did more good than harm.

Good thing you have the tin-foil hat on, don't want tha government reading your thoughts!

He's a "hero" because he sold drugs? Who cares if they were "pure" or "lab-tested"... Do you know how many lives he's ruined? Can you imagine the agony he's caused to countless children, parents, siblings, relatives, friends as they've had to watch their loved ones turning slaves to addiction?! I hope you're joking, because if not, I seriously just lost some faith in humanity. 

Good thing you have the tin-foil hat on, don't want tha government reading your thoughts!

He's a "hero" because he sold drugs? Who cares if they were "pure" or "lab-tested"... Do you know how many lives he's ruined? Can you imagine the agony he's caused to countless children, parents, siblings, relatives, friends as they've had to watch their loved ones turning slaves to addiction?! I hope you're joking, because if not, I seriously just lost some faith in humanity. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Webb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_involvement_in_Contra_cocaine_trafficking

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/23/dea-controversies_n_5992324.html

... you were saying? Why don't you criticise me instead of ad-hominem calling me a tin-foil hat man. Jesus.

He didn't sell drugs, idiot. He just gave people who wanted drugs a safe place to get them without shooting up on shitty street china white or snorting glass shards from bunk coke. Silk road SAVED lives. If people used street drug vendors instead of SR, I guarantee some of those people would die who wouldn't have if they'd used tested drugs. I don't see you picketing outside bars for giving people alcohol, a drug. Or shouting down the man at your newsagents for selling cigarettes, which are more lethal than any drug. Or signing petitions to ban pharmacies. Stop shouting people on the internet down by using tropes and actually make a fucking argument against me.

He just needed more internet safety. Looks like someone didn't listen during 3rd grade internet safety classes.

>HE SHOULD BE A FREE MAN BECAUSE THE HITMAN HE TRIED TO HIRE WAS FAKE

LOL

Being jailed for life is never okay.

Right, because re-offending isn't a thing. Prisons like Guantanamo Bay are the problem, not the sentences.

He just needed more internet safety. Looks like someone didn't listen during 3rd grade internet safety classes.

Duh, just use incognito. No one can find u, gugle sayz so.

>HE SHOULD BE A FREE MAN BECAUSE THE HITMAN HE TRIED TO HIRE WAS FAKE

LOL

THANK YOU I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT LOGIC WAS STILL BEING ARGUED

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Webb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_involvement_in_Contra_cocaine_trafficking

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/23/dea-controversies_n_5992324.html

... you were saying? Why don't you criticise me instead of ad-hominem calling me a tin-foil hat man. Jesus.

He didn't sell drugs, idiot. He just gave people who wanted drugs a safe place to get them without shooting up on shitty street china white or snorting glass shards from bunk coke. Silk road SAVED lives. If people used street drug vendors instead of SR, I guarantee some of those people would die who wouldn't have if they'd used tested drugs. I don't see you picketing outside bars for giving people alcohol, a drug. Or shouting down the man at your newsagents for selling cigarettes, which are more lethal than any drug. Or signing petitions to ban pharmacies. Stop shouting people on the internet down by using tropes and actually make a fucking argument against me.

First link- Publicly admitted to greatly overstating his claims, literally in like sentence three

Second link- The situation here is understood that the U.S. was funding the rebels, and as with any situation when large sums of money are pumped into chaos to restore peace/provide humanitarian aid, some of it ends up in less-than-desirable places. There's been more than enough research into this to assert that.

Third link- Not reading it. Link me to something that's not biased bullshit, then we can talk. If I linked you to Fox News or CNN, you wouldn't appreciate it and shout me out for providing biased sources. I'd expect you to provide the same courtesy then to everyone else.

Right, because re-offending isn't a thing. Prisons like Guantanamo Bay are the problem, not the sentences.

/thread Brutal psycho-prisons are a problem. Life sentences are reserved for those who have committed such heinous crimes society lacks a place for them, especially given they lack remorse for said crime.

Right, because re-offending isn't a thing.

Am I understanding you correct here; do you believe people should be sentenced for offences they have not done - or as you put it, not yet commited? 

Regardless of whether or not it's just, what the fuck did he think was gonna happen? You open an unregulated black market and think that someone WON'T come after you? To the Feds, I would argue shutting him down and making an example of him was far more important than justice or rule of law.

Am I understanding you correct here; do you believe people should be sentenced for offences they have not done - or as you put it, not yet commited?

No, but if sentences become too lenient murderers (for example) will be able to commit murder every x years, as soon as they are released (some may be rehabilitated, not all).

No your twisting what his rational statement was into some brutal police-state. He's saying that people who have already committed a heinous crime and are determined to be remorseless and fully able and willing to do it again shouldn't be allowed out after x number of years repeatedly.

Archived