Balkan War

SirSkelly

The (fairly) recent one. Can someone please explain this to me, its a bit confusing for me. What I understand is that Serbia wanted to stay together but Bosnia and Croatia said no so Serbia attacked them. Also Croatia is Muslim and Serbia is Catholic, but what is Bosnia?

Croatia and slovenia are Catholic, Serbia, Montenegro and Macedonia are orthodox and Bosnia and Albania are Muslim.

They used to all be together in a single country: Yugoslavia. It was mostly held together by a single leader, Tito, and when he died things detoriated. The Serbs dominated the government which the other ethnicities disliked so they wanted more autonomy. The Yugoslav government denied them this for the most part and things came to open conflict.

The Serbians have the strongest army initially and are winning the war. The NATO intervenes by bombing Serbian cities like Belgrado. All sides commit horrible war crimes, Croatia and Serbia have the fiercest fighting between them with the Bosnians and Albanians losing pretty badly. The NATO sends troops to protect the civilians from war crimes but doesn't quite succeed because they're too ill equipped.

In the end the Serbians lose, Yugoslavia falls apart and Croatia is the biggest winner. Through the duration of the war ethnic cleansing happened on all sides. Sometimes it was just throwing all people of an ethnicity out of a country but at other times the unwanted ethnicities were murdered.

I'm pretty sure This War of Mine is based on the siege of Kosovo or someplace during the war. FYI, don't play the damn game. It's depressing af and I just stopped playing half way through.

I said you won the war, not that you run your country well. The fact that Croatia exists as an independent nation shows you won the war. 

where is your muhammad now

You are aware he is a Croat right? And that Croatia has a predominantly catholic population? In fact the Croats have done some serious crimes against humanity to make sure there wouldn't be many Orthodox people left.

And Croatia never really had a Muslim population. It was ruled by Catholic powers such as Austria-Hungary amd Venice for much of it's recent history. Bosnia and Albania were part of the Muslim Ottoman empire, which is why the population there is predominantly Muslim

It starts at the Austrian-Hungary Empire. It controlled much of Central Europe, but its states didn't work together very well due to cultural, religious, and language differences. Eventually, it split, and one of the countries created as a result was Yugoslavia. The tradition carried on there.

Yugoslavia was made up of: Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Herzegovina, Slovenia, Montenegro, Macedonia, and Kosovo. Essentially, they were all under control of Serbia. As time went on, each one split off, in what is known is the Dissolution of Yugoslavia. The Balkan War is considered the beginning of it all.

It starts at the Austrian-Hungary Empire. It controlled much of Central Europe, but its states didn't work together very well due to cultural, religious, and language differences. Eventually, it split, and one of the countries created as a result was Yugoslavia. The tradition carried on there.

Yugoslavia was made up of: Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Herzegovina, Slovenia, Montenegro, Macedonia, and Kosovo. Essentially, they were all under control of Serbia. As time went on, each one split off, in what is known is the Dissolution of Yugoslavia. The Balkan War is considered the beginning of it all.

The Ottomans also held some of the provinces in the Balkans, and this Austrian/Ottoman tension was probably the starting point for future disputes.

Archived