Computers

Mr.Mem

Should I go with this build or this build? My main goal is for games, but I would like a decently fast computer either way. I would greatly appreciate opinions and reasons.

Note: I designed neither of these.

I recommend a build with an FX-8320/50. Cheaper and get a better GPU to boot.

He already has a amazing GPU in there.

He already has a amazing GPU in there.

Just save some ca$h for more games.

Just realized there was an R9 290 in the other build

Just save some ca$h for more games.

Just realized there was an R9 290 in the other build

If he can get a i5 within his budget without the rest of his build suffering he should. AMD isn't bad but it isn't great either.

If he can get a i5 within his budget without the rest of his build suffering he should. AMD isn't bad but it isn't great either.

Hey, the FX 8320 is relevant in games. It's extremely relevant in GTA, ditto to BF4 and Hardline.

Hey, the FX 8320 is relevant in games. It's extremely relevant in GTA, ditto to BF4 and Hardline.

If a game is designed to run on a FX it will run amazing, if it isn't it will run like crap. Most games won't even use all of it's cores.

If a game is designed to run on a FX it will run amazing, if it isn't it will run like crap. Most games won't even use all of it's cores.

The ONLY upper hand the i5 has is in emulation. It will pounce the FX in CPU-intensive PCSX2 games.

Other than that, most games won't suffer from an FX.

The ONLY upper hand the i5 has is in emulation. It will pounce the FX in CPU-intensive PCSX2 games.

A lot of games (Arma 3 etc) use <4 cores so most of the FX's cores are just idle. The i5 works much better on games like these, the FX will run like crap.

neither have nvidia graphics cards, so neither :)

Nvidia is gay anyways. He's smart for not picking them.

Nvidia is gay anyways. He's smart for not picking them.

orly

at least the performance is better so amd is gay

orly

*COUGH*GTX 970

*COUGH*WOODEN SCREWS

Ignorant... that and AMD does better in OpenGL/CL-related things

orly

AMD didn't release a single chip flagship card since 2013 so it isn't a fair fight

AMD also didn't pay developers to make their games run like shit on nVidia rigs.

however, the opposite is true.

thanks Ubisoft, you're great and your games are certainly not a diarrhea water balloon.

AMD also didn't pay developers to make their games run like shit on nVidia rigs.

however, the opposite is true.

thanks Ubisoft, you're great and your games are certainly not a diarrhea water balloon.

THIS SHIT

On Intel's side, Cinebench is actually made to run worse on comparable AMD rigs

Seems like the only real difference is the GPU and both are good for most games. What are you going to be playing?

lol, no no and no. 

An i5-4440 will outclass an FX9590 in virtually every game/task with the exception of the heavy virtualization/rendering and one or two titles which are beyond poorly optimized. In everything else, an i5 will win. 

@OP 

I'd go with the R9 290 build if money isn't an issue since it is the better of the two...but the 280x is still a very capable card (depending on what settings you want to play at -- at 1080p it's the perfect card). 

Archived