More Earthquake coming after Nepal?

Zefrom

Article about Nepal Earthquakes

So basically there was a major earthquake that hit Nepal a few weeks ago with a magnitude of 7.9, recently there's another huge earthquake with a magnitude of 7.3 that hit near Nepal. Now scientists are anticipating more earthquakes to be hitting Nepal. Read the article for more info.

Is this the end for Nepal? I feel that it's really a shame to continue the sufferings of these Nepalese. I have a lot of Nepalese friends in school and I generally sympathize with them. I wonder how will the Nepal government take action

The amount of support is going to be overwhelming, of course. A country like Nepal won't be by itself in this disaster. I don't think we're going to see the "end for Nepal" necessarily (to put this into perspective, in NZ back in ~2011 we had an earthquake slightly smaller, probably around 6.5? We had LOTS of aftershocks after that, and there were a few up around ~6, so to see aftershocks near the major earthquake in terms of size isn't uncommon, as well as what has been mentioned in that article)

The government will have no choice but to do all it can to get everyone through the crisis. What else do you do, you know?

Don't live on an active convergent margin if you don't want EQ's. You can expect lots more, not just aftershocks from this event. India's literally thrusting into China - the EQs wont end until tectonic trends (mantle flow) changes. We'll all be long dead by then.

Terrible circumstances, sure. End of Nepal? Not likely. Lets just hope the majority of support funds actually reach where its needed.

Is this going to be the first time a country is destroyed by natural calamity?

(If it did happen of course.)

Pretty sure they'll just live with it, but with the whole country half destroyed and it's economy in shatters, Nepal will be the same after a long time.

That's kinda how earthquakes work. When one hits it's like a ripple effect where the seismic activity carries on through the same plates and stuff (I think). Usually when earthquakes happen, it's not just that once. That plates never really stop moving, so it's likely to carry through. It sucks for Nepal that they're in this position, but there isn't much geographically they can do. Economically theyre going to have to find a way to get the city back from pieces (literally as well) and just carry on. Same thing happened in Haiti and you'll probably see a lot of the same support.

That's kinda how earthquakes work. When one hits it's like a ripple effect where the seismic activity carries on through the same plates and stuff (I think). Usually when earthquakes happen, it's not just that once. That plates never really stop moving, so it's likely to carry through. It sucks for Nepal that they're in this position, but there isn't much geographically they can do. Economically theyre going to have to find a way to get the city back from pieces (literally as well) and just carry on. Same thing happened in Haiti and you'll probably see a lot of the same support.

California is just as fucked when the big one happened. The town I used to live in was fucked up by the loma prieta earthquake, and that was an American city with better building standards and laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollister,_California

No, it's not the clothing store. Nice town all in all, close to Santa Cruz and San Jose . Crappy school systemthere though.

California is just as fucked when the big one happened. The town I used to live in was fucked up by the loma prieta earthquake, and that was an American city with better building standards and laws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollister,_California

No, it's not the clothing store. Nice town all in all, close to Santa Cruz and San Jose . Crappy school systemthere though.

It sucks for anyone on the coasts when an earthquake happens tbh. That's why we're always hearing about Japan, Hawaii, or other coastal areas on tsunami watch after earthquakes. 

When there is one earthquake there often comes a series of lesser ones after. But because the first one was so strong the "small" earthquakes are still devastating. Nepal has taken severe damage in this earthquake but it's not fully screwed

Archived