Can matter REALLY not be created or destroyed?

сιρнэя

What are your guys' thoughts on this? I believe that Black Holes do in fact destroy matter AND energy.

this is probably gonna be a pretty boring thread because it's all theoretical and not very controversial

nah, matter can't be created or destroyed

Black holes displace and crush matter but they cannot destroy it. It just gets stretched so thin that its nothing like its original form

Black holes are incredibly dense regions of space where matter and energy are compressed and warped.

Matter is still there, but as Flame said, stretched incredibly thin.

Black holes displace and crush matter but they cannot destroy it. It just gets stretched so thin that its nothing like its original form

I agree with this completely. 

If black holes were to destroy matter and energy, what would create more of it to balance it out?

Whenever I get wrapped into this sort of mental dialogue I always begin to question what in fuck's name actual created all of this. It's so bizarre to imagine such a vast space filled with so many insanely different things. Where does it end? Where did it begin? All we've got are theories, it's such a fascinating subject.

From the replies, thats what I learnt in school but...

What about anti-matter? Won't stuff like positrons and antiprotons destroy the electrons and protons? Or reduce them to nothing because of the opposite charges?

What about anti-matter? Won't stuff like positrons and antiprotons destroy the electrons and protons? Or reduce them to nothing because of the opposite charges?

they'll annihilate each other, but will produce energy doing so, which is the mass-energy equivalence

I WAS ABOUT TO POINT THIS OUT! Yes! I have learned in school that there was once an ALMOST equal amount of antimatter and matter, but somehow, there is more matter in the universe... Nobody knows why. So, in my eyes MATTER CAN BE CREATED AND DESTROYED!

According to field theory (and I'm paraphrasing here), particles do pop out of random localized fluctuations in field density.  Of course, they appear with their own antiparticle and cancel eachother out almost immediately.  Interestingly, if this were to happen at the event horizon of a black hole, it could lead to something called hawking radiation.  The particle and antiparticle become separated by the event horizon so they can't annihilate.  This doesn't violate conservation, because the particles don't come out of nothing and don't vanish into nothing.

The important thing to note is that matter and energy are interchangeable, and when they do change form from one to the other, the overall sum total of matter and energy remains the same.

Now if you want to talk about dark energy and the expansion of the universe, that's where things start to go south...

Archived