Warning system improvements.

Trollerai

The warning system is a very useful tool on the site to help keep people in line when they comment on the site, as normal if you get a warning you lose contribution points and risk getting a temp ban, however I do think there are a lot of improvements that should be implemented into the site.

1. Displaying total warning points.

We will know that we have received a warning but we do not know how many we have been given, showing the total number of warning points on a person's profile could be useful to display for both users and admins, Users can use the total warning points for when someone comments n their suggestion (check their total warnings against their total comments to know If they are a troll or not)

2. Compare warning points against comments.

slightly mention in the 1 idea, On the users profile, you can see how many comments they have posted and compare it against how many warning points they have Collected in total, This can be handy for users to see if people are known for saying without thinking or are the genius of the market, Admins can also use this to Possibly create restrictions on commenting for example, banning the user from commenting on major items like keys, bill's and buds.

3. Rules on dishing out warnings for admins (prevent admin corruption).

I do see sometimes where admins dish out a warning where none was intended and to be honest it is just not fair on the user who made the comment, yes this does normally happen on suggestions like keys and admins are more harsh when dealing with people who make comments which results in a amount of innocent commenters to suffer, So a few rules should be put into place for admins when dealing with this.

1. If a lot of people agree with the comment but the comment may seem somewhat warning worthy, its not the grounds for a warning (let them make and keep their fair point)

2. If a fair comment has caused somewhat of a flame war, warn the people making the flames not the origin (I have seen this too many times)

3. GET A SECOND OPINION, One admin's word should not be law on people (that is a dictatorship in slight terms) If both admins agree, fair game but If there is a disagreement, Then Perhaps just leave a message bellow their comment informing them that they are risking a warning (and why)

4. Display warnings left until ban.

Simple feature to make users be more careful with their words, If they have 0 warnings left until ban, then it is a instant 3 day ban like normal, (this should also be displayed on their profile page)

5. Passed suggestions remove a warning.

If a user has a suggestion passed and has some warnings on their profile, 1 warning should be removed, they have contributed to the market and should now be rewarded with more than just 10 contribution points, Also as a bonus, every 50 correct votes removes a warning.

I will probably have more Ideas on this later but for now that's what I got.

Warnings In my opinion feel like they are shoveled out for little reason sometimes and have little effect on a few people so make the warning more hard hitting and make receiving them more reasonable.

Warnings make users lose contribution points? Didn't know that.

I do see sometimes where admins dish out a warning where none was intended and to be honest it is just not fair on the user who made the comment, yes this does normally happen on suggestions like keys and admins are more harsh when dealing with people who make comments which results in a amount of innocent commenters to suffer, So a few rules should be put into place for admins when dealing with this.

1. If a lot of people agree with the comment but the comment may seem somewhat warning worthy, its not the grounds for a warning (let them make and keep their fair point)

2. If a fair comment has caused somewhat of a flame war, warn the people making the flames not the origin (I have seen this too many times)

3. GET A SECOND OPINION, One admin's word should not be law on people (that is a dictatorship in slight terms) If both admins agree, fair game but If there is a disagreement, Then Perhaps just leave a message bellow their comment informing them that they are risking a warning (and why

This, this so much.

btw cleverpun I'm kind of ok with the ban

I won't bother appealing because it's just temp

but I miss repwhoring so much.

3. GET A SECOND OPINION, One admin's word should not be law on people (that is a dictatorship in slight terms) If both admins agree, fair game but If there is a disagreement, Then Perhaps just leave a message bellow their comment informing them that they are risking a warning (and why)

He is saying this to the Admins.

Kinda disagree with number five. Everyone knows. long218

He is saying this to the Admins.

Kinda disagree with number five. Everyone knows. long218

He may be saying this to the admins but I don't really see it in effect.

Your guidelines need to be fixed.

• 1 admin is enough to make decisions. That's how the site works, it works well, no need to fix non broken stuff.
  • Any posts that do not have proof or not actually giving helpful comments to proof needs to be warned.
  • Downvote you have x amount, good proof upvote, random predictions, comments on how the economy is crashing, grammar lessons,lol(lel or any other form), need warns.

You know who I really don't like, cleverpun. He warned me for saying the truth about a key suggestion that the person suggesting it is losing the "war" he is fighting. I got a warning for that. I think they should really tell you why you were warned. He also warned someone for saying something that got 8 likes.

Look at most of the people he warned, some didn't deserve it:

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/5220f4d24f96f432358b4568

I think we should put a stop to this and form a petition saying that they should give a reason for us being warned. We should also form a rebellion against cleverpun for being Warning Crazy.

How many warns before you get banned or not be able to comment anymore?

11. Yeah it was quite a few, I feel like I actually deserved the ban~ (note it's temp, so it's not that bad)

I don't really dislike cleverpun, They might be the mod who hands out the most warnings (some may be even unfaiir, as pointed out before-not in my case-) but it's actually a very respectful, rational and fair person. Sure they might be a little excessive, but their job is just to make the site as clean as possible.

You know who I really don't like, cleverpun. He warned me for saying the truth about a key suggestion that the person suggesting it is losing the "war" he is fighting. I got a warning for that. I think they should really tell you why you were warned. He also warned someone for saying something that got 8 likes.

Look at most of the people he warned, some didn't deserve it:

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/5220f4d24f96f432358b4568

I think we should put a stop to this and form a petition saying that they should give a reason for us being warned. We should also form a rebellion against cleverpun for being Warning Crazy.

you said something bad

which was of course not the truth

as it had no proof

Haiku for you.

Requiring two mods to approve every warning would make the warning process obscenely slow. You are absolutely welcome to add the mod who warned you and ask about it--if you still disagree with their decision, then you can either add a different mod or start a ticket/topic here in the forums. Most times the other mods will back up the original decision, but we are not perfect and we do make mistakes. Think of it like the US Supreme Court; they only review decisions brought to them, because reviewing every decision means they would never get anything else done.

A suggestion removing a warning would give immunity to all the most active users. The idea that some users should be above the rules is never an idea I will support. A warning removes 5 rep from your profile, so getting a suggestion passed or voting correctly will clear that penalty

The rules for warnings are right over here; http://backpack.tf/vote?showrules=1

The amount of warnings before being banned is a case-by-case thing--if you spam a lot in a single suggestion then the mods are obviously going to ban you regardless the particular number of comments. By a similar token, if you receive a warning and then don't receive more until months later, the mods are going to be more lenient when processing bans based on your good behavior.

http://backpack.tf/vote?showrules=1 your most recent warning was for rules 1 and 3. Popularity doesn't imply quality--the amount of likes your comment has is completely separate from its status as spam.

Here is my thought, make bans relative to the amount of comments you've made. If more than 5% gets warned (or another % idk) you will recieve a ban. I've got loooooaaaddddss of comments and since I can't always be serious I occasionally get warned. I currently got 8 warnings out of like 1000 comments, which relatively isn't that much. Somebody with 5 warnings out of 20 comments is worse in my opinion.

I'm glad someone actually does give warnings.

1. If you want to say ANYTHING not related to the suggestion then just take it to the forums.

2. Just posting someone has bad proof isn't helpful. At least say why and say what he could do better next time.

3. Just saying if you upvote or downvote? Just press the button. No need to give that person an extra notification by commenting.

4. Telling how many a person owns isn't helping either. Everyone can see that. This suggest an accusation most of the time. Not needed.

5. All this is regardless of how many 'likes' you have or how many people agree with you. I'm sure a random joke will get a lot of likes. But it's also spam.

6. You don't need more then one mod to give you a warning, if you don't agree with the warning, add the mod or take it to the forums.

In my opinion, not enough warnings are given.

Only comments on key suggestions seems to get a warning fairly easily in my opinion. I would like to see this extended to other suggestions.

Tl:dr Give more warnings to keep the site clean.

On a side note, being able to see your amount of warnings might be positive. This keeps you aware of how many warnings you got and you might want to be more careful in the future.

I'm glad someone actually does give warnings.

1. If you want to say ANYTHING not related to the suggestion then just take it to the forums.

2. Just posting someone has bad proof isn't helpful. At least say why and say what he could do better next time.

3. Just saying if you upvote or downvote? Just press the button. No need to give that person an extra notification by commenting.

4. Telling how many a person owns isn't helping either. Everyone can see that. This suggest an accusation most of the time. Not needed.

5. All this is regardless of how many 'likes' you have or how many people agree with you. I'm sure a random joke will get a lot of likes. But it's also spam.

6. You don't need more then one mod to give you a warning, if you don't agree with the warning, add the mod or take it to the forums.

In my opinion, not enough warnings are given.

Only comments on key suggestions seems to get a warning fairly easily in my opinion. I would like to see this extended to other suggestions.

Tl:dr Give more warnings to keep the site clean.

On a side note, being able to see your amount of warnings might be positive. This keeps you aware of how many warnings you got and you might want to be more careful in the future.

Yes please, more warns on backpack.tf suggestions.

So many good proof upvotes and you hav x downvotes

Archived