For the dumb people, extraterrestrial life is life that isn't from earth, so "aliens"

Extraterrestrial life. It's something there are a lot of discussions about, but none here (at least that I could find). Do you believe there's life somewhere out there? And if you do what do you think they look like?

Personally I don't believe in extraterrestrial life, but IF there is some, it would most likely be some sort of buglike thing. Simply because bugs can survive almost everything earth can throw at them whilst humans and other mammals need very specified conditions.

There's a high chance aliens exist, the only reason you can give for them not to exist is religious reasons.

It's possible, but unproven. There are certain planets that may have the right conditions required for life, and there are organisms that do not use Oxygen to respire, such as this bacteria.

We have already found life outside earth. We just havn't found intelligent life, which is the important thing. 

we have?

The moons of Jupiter and Saturn is believed to contain life based on research findings.

fo' real? y I no know this. And of course area 51 where the usa hides aliens and planned 9/11

we have?

Yea we have found single cell organisms on comets, metorite, and on mars and other moons are believed to have life on them

fo' real? y I no know this. And of course area 51 where the usa hides aliens and planned 9/11

Research has shown that life developes around heat vents on the ocean floor. The heat vents are a result magma being in contact with the water. One saturn moon is covered in an ocean with a frozen surface. It has already been proven to have large volcanic activity under the surface. So yeah, there's life there.

Edit: the question is how complex it is. Supposedly, life began in the ocean and devoloped from there. I think it can not be too complex because more developed requires better access to sunlight.

Yea we have found single cell organisms on comets, metorite, and on mars and other moons are believed to have life on them

Can you link me to articles/videos about them?

Can you link me to articles/videos about them?

Google them. I read off this science magazine (had deep sea fishes in it too) the rest in documentaries 

It's possible, but unproven. There are certain planets that may have the right conditions required for life, and there are organisms that do not use Oxygen to respire, such as this bacteria.

Implying every form of life even in outer space have the same requirements as here on earth.

If you think about how big the universe is, it's very unlikely that we're the only ones out there. The chances for a planet to be suitable for life is slim but there's enough planets out there to make up for that.

Also, Stephen Hawking to the rescue:

This has been generally accepted to be true even to the level of what we consider to be inteligent life. The debate is how developed? It is assumed that some inteligent life would be more developed and some less. I believe that much out f the inteligent life would be rather simular to us. Mammels are considered most adaptable. The dolphins show there could be ocean going inteligent life. Also, I have heard of theories about how dinisours could have evolved inteligent life as veliciraptors are considered highly inteligent pack hunters.

This has been generally accepted to be true even to the level of what we consider to be inteligent life. The debate is how developed? It is assumed that some inteligent life would be more developed and some less. I believe that much out f the inteligent life would be rather simular to us. Mammels are considered most adaptable. The dolphins show there could be ocean going inteligent life. Also, I have heard of theories about how dinisours could have evolved inteligent life as veliciraptors are considered highly inteligent pack hunters.

(IMO) Intelligent life is bound to evolve on any planet with enough resources to support multicellular life, it will most likely be the most adaptable species on the planet (in our case a mammal). The degree of development of that life will again depend on the resources of the planet and on how long it has gotten time to develop. (Again, IMO) Intelligent life is considered life that is able to think abstractly like humans and isn't driven by instincts for the most part, it should also be able to make use of tools in some way.

Anything that aren't humans and aren't from our planet could qualify as aliens. The universe is unspeakably big, so I gotta side with "I believe aliens exist".

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think most life would be similar. In perspective to the (age of) the universe, the amount of time life has existed on earth is very small, so it would be relatively unlikely life somewhere else is currently at the same level of intelligence we are.

I don't think most life would be similar. In perspective to the (age of) the universe, the amount of time life has existed on earth is very small, so it would be relatively unlikely life somewhere else is currently at the same level of intelligence we are.

lol you said "the the" if you remove the parenthesis

And how does that work? If there are extraterrestrial life forms, then they have had more time to evolve than us, then they would be more intelligent.

lol you said "the the" if you remove the parenthesis

And how does that work? If there are extraterrestrial life forms, then they have had more time to evolve than us, then they would be more intelligent.

or they could have had less time to evolve and could be less intelligent.

See answer in here: http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/3130-we-are-a-tiny-dot/

I believe there is a high probability that life somewhere else exists. There is also a high probability that this lifeform is vastly different from humans. These lifeforms may have intelligence vastly inferior or superior to our own. We may never be able to observe these lifeforms, because they are either too short for us to notice, or too long for us to interact with. It may also be that these lifeforms do not emit light waves, EM waves, or any sort of signal that we know of. Maybe these lifeforms are not even composed of carbon, which we on Earth take as the basis of life.

Just because we haven't seen it, can we rule out that it does not exist? For example, if we have never seen the Eiffel Tower in Paris, does it not exist?

On the other hand, just because we do not deny its existence, does it mean it must exist? For example, if we do not deny the existence of the Illuminati, does it mean they must exist?

or they could have had less time to evolve and could be less intelligent.

Or they don't exist anymore because they destroyed themselves in the same way we are currently doing (or went extinct for a different reason).

Archived