Ceramics

Charity

As I posted earlier about my Ceramic All-Father, I'm taking a ceramics class my senior year in high school. It's been a lot of fun, and I've made some awesome things. I'll just post this to showcase what I've made and what I'm making simply because it's fun to gather feedback and even show off a little. 

I make most, if not all of my projects on the wheel. 

As of right now, I'm working on a ceramic chip-and-dip bowl. It took me around 3 hours to get it to where it is now, and I still need to remove it from the plastic "Bat" (The black plate it's sitting on), and run it through the kiln once before I can begin "Glazing" (Painting it with special paint that gives it a nice glossy feel). 

http://imgur.com/a/ZMUfW

I'll continue to update this after its first trip through the kiln, and its coat of glaze. RIP

Update #1:

http://imgur.com/a/HRHr5

Update #2:

http://imgur.com/a/hiPFD

Update #3:

http://imgur.com/a/3XIwJ

Adding a special bonus to this update, a timelapse of myself working on the wheel! The angle is trash, so I plan on making another in the future to correct it a bit. 

If anyone else is in a ceramics class, feel free to post your creations. I'd love to see what everyone else is working on at the moment.

Oh man that looks great! I took a Ceramics class in my senior year, and made a Choochoo Train, a Lion, a Fish, some Henna'd hands! I'll see if I can get any pictures. 

That dip bowl looks really nice, any thoughts on designs / glaze coloring ?

I plan to take a ceramics class next semester :3

Oh man that looks great! I took a Ceramics class in my senior year, and made a Choochoo Train, a Lion, a Fish, some Henna'd hands! I'll see if I can get any pictures. 

That dip bowl looks really nice, any thoughts on designs / glaze coloring ?

I plan to take a ceramics class next semester :3

Thanks a bunch! I'd love to see your work, that sounds awesome! 

I'm thinking about trying a seaweed green for the interior, and maybe a dark gray for the exterior. If not that, I'll go with a very colorful colorburst, "Mardi Gras" (White with Blue and Green speckles). I really like brooding dark colors for my project, but I'm not sure if it'll look as good on my dip bowl. I'm thinking I may also try to paint the dipping bowl a different color than the platter, but I'm not too sure. I'm up for suggestions, I really don't have any idea what to do, haha. 

You should! I'm taking it again during my freshman year of college. I'm in love with the wheel, but I'm not too sure I have the cash to buy one for personal uses. :P 

Thanks a bunch! I'd love to see your work, that sounds awesome! 

I'm thinking about trying a seaweed green for the interior, and maybe a dark gray for the exterior. If not that, I'll go with a very colorful colorburst, "Mardi Gras" (White with Blue and Green speckles). I really like brooding dark colors for my project, but I'm not sure if it'll look as good on my dip bowl. I'm thinking I may also try to paint the dipping bowl a different color than the platter, but I'm not too sure. I'm up for suggestions, I really don't have any idea what to do, haha. 

You should! I'm taking it again during my freshman year of college. I'm in love with the wheel, but I'm not too sure I have the cash to buy one for personal uses. :P

If you do plan on doing the Mardi Gras style with speckles, also try the cracking technique. It makes it look extra good with speckles and splotches.

I'll see if I can find some photos, if not I'll take some tommorow. And I'll let you know how college ceramics goes :D

Most of my projects took a long time, because they were super detailed, I know most ceramics teachers would get pissy if I didn't keep up with the class, but I was lucky enough that my teacher let me do whatever for the most part.

If you do plan on doing the Mardi Gras style with speckles, also try the cracking technique. It makes it look extra good with speckles and splotches.

I'll see if I can find some photos, if not I'll take some tommorow. And I'll let you know how college ceramics goes :D

Most of my projects took a long time, because they were super detailed, I know most ceramics teachers would get pissy if I didn't keep up with the class, but I was lucky enough that my teacher let me do whatever for the most part.

Good call, I'll have to give that a shot; it's been a long while since I gave that method any thought. 

Please do to both of those- I'm curious as to how college ceramics is run, and I'm also super curious about these masterpieces you've made! 

My Ceramics teacher gave up on me VERY long ago. He kept assigning us projects and when it was time to turn them in, I'd bring him 5 - 10 Bowls instead of whatever else it was that we needed to work on. He couldn't fail me since I'd stay after school with him and work all the time. He's probably fed up with me draining all of his clay by now. :P

Sorry your first go didn't turn out the greatest, but at least you got a bowl out of it!

And good luck to your future attempts, despite the cracks and all I'd say it turned out pretty well.

Sorry your first go didn't turn out the greatest, but at least you got a bowl out of it!

And good luck to your future attempts, despite the cracks and all I'd say it turned out pretty well.

Very true! The bowl at least turned out pleasantly. 

Thank you very much, that means a lot to me. I'll give it my best for another one on the wheel before I get lazy and use clay slabs. :) 

That new bowl looks amazing! 

This is some pretty good stuff you're doing here.

Thank you so much! It's been a ton of fun to me thus far, so I'm absolutely flattered to hear that it's turning out well. :)

Cool. Practice makes progress.

Indeed it does! I've learned that the hard way, haha.

Archived