End of Human Advancements

EvilDEATH1234

Disregarding possible prior human extinction, what is the possibility that some time in the future humans will cease to progress scientifically at the rate that is modeled by the current exponential prediction of advancement. Since humans have not been gaining a measurable amount of intelligence compared to the vast growth of technology, would it not seem as if humans will only ever reach a certain level of achievement and then plateau in development, following a logistic curve rather than an exponential curve. It's hard to say, since we haven't observed it in nature here on Earth, since humans seem to be the only species with enough drive to create beyond the necessary, but perhaps all other creatures on the planet have plateaued as well, which could possibly be a sign of a balanced ecosystem.

i thought you're one of those bots that used to post senseless walls of text on the forums at first

and yeah, it's only a matter of time until we find out how to use our brain to its full potential, one can only wonder what will be the limits of our intellegence then

also

augmentations

I've kinda wondered this too. What happens when we literally figure out everything about the universe & what is contained within it?

I've kinda wondered this too. What happens when we literally figure out everything about the universe & what is contained within it?

>What happens when we become god?

i thought you're one of those bots that used to post senseless walls of text on the forums at first

and yeah, it's only a matter of time until we find out how to use our brain to its full potential, one can only wonder what will be the limits of our intellegence then

also

augmentations

Hehe,

And for now, the knowledge of the human brain is pretty abysmal. Our knowledge of how it operates seems to be fairly sufficient, but the fundamentals of it, especially the conscious regulating side, is impossible to explain with the current scientific model. I don't know if and personally don't think we will ever understand it because it seems to transcend the human logic process.

I don't think we will ever get there. Just too many barriers in the universe that will prevent us just by nature.

If humans reach the end of their ability to advance technologically (What would that even look like?  Would we be cyborgs?), then there's still the possibility of artificial advancement of the human mind and body through genetic manipulation, which could conceivably lead to further progress in technology.

Yeah.  I opened that can of worms.

I hope that all of you have not forgotten how a plethora of human advancements/milestones/achievements have been underlooked/simply not noticed, because most...are too...ignorant.

Then life becomes meaningless.

everything is fine right now, so not much stuff is getting invented

only in real times when we have to innovate (ie war) will we truly make advancements

(also i bet the last invention by mankind will be true virtual reality)

everything is fine right now, so not much stuff is getting invented

only in real times when we have to innovate (ie war) will we truly make advancements

Have you ever looked at the middle east before

We've invented Ocular X-rays (X-ray vision), discovered Element 114 and 116, landed on a comet and found leavings of bacterial life on mars. All in the past year.

We're only a pixel in the digital image of what there is to know about the world and even the universe. If you compare what our advancements were to other generations it's not exactly a reasonable comparison

They knew as much as we did just in a smaller ratio, and things were just waiting to be discovered. They had similar opportunities but not the same to discover new things and they did so, slowly. Like we are doing, slowly.

I don't think we'd run out of things to discover at anytime in the near future so

Get your Nobel Prize while you can, kids

We've ... found leavings of bacterial life on mars.

What?  I didn't hear about this at all.  If true, that would be HUGE.  It would mean the first evidence of natural life outside of earth.  Source?  Please don't tell me it's just a few chemicals people think might possibly be the result of a biological process.  It would have to be a little more concrete than that.

It's not that we'd stop advancing, it'd be that we wouldn't be advancing fast enough

The time as of late is sometimes called The Second Renaissance since we've advanced so quickly in this century than any other. We would die out from not advancing fast enough due to overpopulation and the dwindling supply of resources, which would cause us to expire as a species. Space seems to be the only option, it seems one Earth isn't going to be enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I do believe that at one point humans will cease all advancement but nothing portends such events taking place anytime soon.

"Let an ultraintelligent machine be defined as a machine that can far surpass all the intellectual activities of any man however clever. Since the design of machines is one of these intellectual activities, an ultraintelligent machine could design even better machines; there would then unquestionably be an 'intelligence explosion,' and the intelligence of man would be left far behind. Thus the first ultraintelligent machine is the last invention that man need ever make." -I. J. Good

but now my opinion. All progress has been achieved by a subjugation of a "lesser" group of humans by humans, like slaves. However, in this politically correct world, this is slightly harder. So unless some Social Darwinist takes the world by storm (god forbid), I think we're stuck.

Charles Holland Duell said in 1899 that "Everything that can be invented has been invented."

And how wrong was he? There's so much stuff out there we don't know about.

I'm not worried about it unless I get to live for a very long time for some reason (I'm talking hundred of years)

Archived