Is Sharking Dead?

TheVenomWithin

With all of Valves new updates to protect traders, With their one week till it can be trading thing, to automatic private inventories, it really does bring up the question. Is sharking completely dead?

Discuss

Probably not seeing you still exist

Sharking will always be a thing. It isn't hard to do, and there aren't always wait time. Where there are hats, there will be sharks.

With all of Valves new updates to protect traders, With their one week till it can be trading thing, to automatic private inventories, it really does bring up the question. Is sharking completely dead?

Discuss

That's funny coming from one.

On a serious note, I think it's still possible. Just not with people that are really new. More like people that are just getting into trading and don't know prices very well. 

Sharking is not dead.

The game is.

Funny you should say that. Whereas I agree the game is beginning to die, I do not believe it's dead or has died yet. There are still thousands upon thousands of active players and traders, And it's still a popular and well known game. I do not believe it'll die, least, not till several more years anyway.

Now, I'm not saying anything against the OP and I'm not saying he did this but.

Yes, it does exist, but I don't think any, "community administration" should be taken against it.

Why? Because trading is dangerous by itself if you don't know what you're doing. 

It's not the, "sharkers" fault that you lost some profit. I mean if it was an unusual sold for a scrap, then that's another story of course.

But you shouldn't put the blame on someone for a mistake that YOU made.

You could have simply just said, "No thanks." and cancel the trade and go on your way.

But putting blame on someone for something you did? Really?

The biggest hit to sharking in my opinion was making keys and things unboxed with them untradable for a week after buying them. Gives people more time to figure out what the value of their hat is, or to get contacted by someone who tries to prevent sharking.

Of course, sharking will always exist as long as there is profit to be made, but I think that update hurt it the most. A shark will have to get someone to gift their hat a lot of the time, making it a pain to sell even for the quicksell flip prices that sharks sell things for.

Funny you should say that. Whereas I agree the game is beginning to die, I do not believe it's dead or has died yet. There are still thousands upon thousands of active players and traders, And it's still a popular and well known game. I do not believe it'll die, least, not till several more years anyway.

current players 52,671  60,431 peak -- stats

Team Fortress 2

15~k idle

25~k trade server

20~k actually playing.

The game died years ago. TF2 is old AF, and the updates aren't doing much good to revive it. 

Even football manager has more fckn players. TF2 used to have more players than Dota 2 and CSGO back in it's golden age.

Sharking is not dead.

The game is.

Game is dead, for sure.

I got my own cp_orange server and literally every day I see new players getting noob achievemenst like gibus grab and etc.

And I'm not talking about enourmous amount of new traders that don't know shit about the market and just pray to bible.tf (which is good for me, cause using actual knowledge against 2 years old outdated prices you easily can get profit).

current players 52,671  60,431 peak -- stats

Team Fortress 2

15~k idle

25~k trade server

20~k actually playing.

The game died years ago. TF2 is old AF, and the updates aren't doing much good to revive it. 

Even football manager has more fckn players. TF2 used to have more players than Dota 2 and CSGO back in it's golden age.

Way to just pull numbers out of your ass

And besides, even though tf2 may not be the most popular game any more, ~50,000 concurrent players at any given time is still a hell of a lot of people to be playing an 8 year old game. Though it's aging, tf2 is nowhere near dead.

Way to just pull numbers out of your ass

And besides, even though tf2 may not be the most popular game any more, ~50,000 concurrent players at any given time is still a hell of a lot of people to be playing an 8 year old game. Though it's aging, tf2 is nowhere near dead.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

If Steam was my ass, then I would be fucking rich by now, sweetheart.

You're just one of those people who has alot of unusuals, and would probably go in tears if the game was officially announced dead by Steam, which will happen really soon.

You're just one of those people who has alot of unusuals, and would probably go in tears if the game was officially announced dead by Steam, which will happen really soon.

I believe the bit coming out of your ass, as it were, was the breakdown of that player peak, not the player peak itself.

Dunno is he trolling or just stupid lol.

The believe the bit coming out of your ass, as it were, was the breakdown of that player peak, not the player peak itself.

Oh right let me re-assign it then.

40k players in Trading servers.

10k players actually playing the game.

Oh right let me re-assign it then.

40k players in Trading servers.

10k players actually playing the game.

Some games can live on ~10k players, but TF2 is definitely starting to decline and will continue to do so unless it's updated to the new Source engine.

Some games can live on ~10k players, but TF2 is definitely starting to decline and will continue to do so unless it's updated to the new Source engine.

Gaben pls.

eating popcorn, watching the flamewar about to happen most likey

If it gets updated to S2, I'll return to the game surely. It needs such update badly. But I doubt Valve would revive it.

No you don't understand! STAR QUIT TF2! :(((((((9999

I see it like the WoW situation. I hardly keep track of numbers, but I know that WoW is around 7.5 Mil and slowly falling after the Draenor hype died off, but people claim losing .5% percent in a couple months is dying.

TF2 does have a large number of less desirable types of players, but WoW has at least double that and still running strong. I think TF2 is aging, but not far enough to be considered "Dying" or "Dead" by my terms. I give at least 3-4 more years for dying, tops. Maybe less, i'unno.

Back on topic of thread, as long as there are newcomers to the trading and inexperienced players to prey on, there will be sharking.

[Removed to not hurt Venom's feelings]

I see it like the WoW situation. I hardly keep track of numbers, but I know that WoW is around 7.5 Mil and slowly falling after the Draenor hype died off, but people claim losing .5% percent in a couple months is dying.

TF2 does have a large number of less desirable types of players, but WoW has at least double that and still running strong. I think TF2 is aging, but not far enough to be considered "Dying" or "Dead" by my terms. I give at least 3-4 more years for dying, tops. Maybe less, i'unno.

Back on topic of thread, as long as there are newcomers to the trading and inexperienced players to prey on, there will be sharking.

Off topic, some mod lock or GB this quick because shitstorm approaches.

WoW got fucked when WoW coin was released. I've heard they lost a shitton of players.

WoW got fucked when WoW coin was released. I've heard they lost a shitton of players.

The WoW coin has not been out long enough to do any serious damage, and besides, it's still fairly new and for no reason will play any part in losing players. It's an in-game gold scheme, therefore you practically buy the game again in hopes of making gold in-game. And it's primarily a gift for veterans, in my opinion, who have large sums of gold. It is also entirely unnecessary since you can just gold your way into the game from your character selection screen.

[Removed as to not hurt Venom's feelings.] 

Archived