Realizing I have abandoned everything else...

Engi Desu

Lately, when I've been doing a ton of paperwork with college (since it's that time of the semester again), I realized I have been spending so much time on Team Fortress 2 and other MMOs than other games that I had planned to play. Games that I have been playing, but just abandoned in the past few months. (These games range from League of Legends to Animal Crossing to Tales of Xilla.)

I'm not entirely sure what to do. I really been itching to pick up Tales of Xilla (1 and 2) or Animal Crossing as of late, while I'm still in the bulk load of paperwork that has been throwing upon me like crazy. Especially this week, I have an art project, an art paper, a sociology paper, proofreading English assignments (doing this during my break period today), two psychology papers, and labs from my Calculus class. So many assignments that I'm swamped with, but I'm half-attempted to ditch them for video games I have abandoned for a long time.

Does anyone have any tips to give? I've been swamped with papers for the past few weeks and it is finally getting on my nerves.

Don't throw your life over some shit video games.

Yet, I'm getting quite burnt out of doing papers. It has been like two papers/projects minimum per week since early March.

Yet, I'm getting quite burnt out of doing papers. It has been like two papers/projects minimum per week.

You are doing this to achieve something in life. Do those papers with music and try being positive as fuck. That always works for me at hard times.

Video games will make it worse, after you get bored of video games you'll realize that you fucked up by not doing your Papers.

You are doing this to achieve something in life. Do those papers with music and try being positive as fuck. That always works for me at hard times.

Video games will make it worse, after you get bored of video games you'll realize that you fucked up by not doing your Papers.

Yeah. I probably just need to shut off Skype and Steam for a while and just focus on most of these papers this evening.

End of semester bulkloads are horrible.

Plan out a bit of time to play between working on stuff, it helps with getting burnt out doing school work. I usually plan like one game of CS:GO comp every three hours if I have that much work.

Burning out is a serious issue you have to avoid. Make some time for a break now and then. Work for a few hours and then take an hour to yourself.

Absolutely do not take that time out from working, however.

You could ask for bans here to help with concentration. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend going back to video games unless you have a lot of extra time. However, if you have exttra time but know a paper is coming up, get it done instead.

go for a run. absolutely take a break from tf2 if you feel like it's becoming a commitment rather than a pleasure.

more than once i've stepped back from it for weeks or months, only coming on to show my face on strife's server and make sure that nothing needs doing there. i'm currently filling applications for internships in summer, revising for exams, reading books for my current term's work, preparing for essays and presentations and generally trying to keep up with my other interests at the same time. tf2, trading, sitting on backpack all now need to take a backseat for the next month and a bit and that's fine. it takes some dedication and rewiring of what you expect to use your time for.

Id say focus on the important but make sure you have some stress relief. One of the many few reasons why violent games are still allowed by government is because they have shown to relieve stress. Obviously, dont be an idiot and imitate IRL, but for stress relief...yes.

When I get annoyed and frustrated, I play some zombies. Blasting brains and the sense of dominance over my undead enemy brings me peace.

video games are so we can relax and havw some fun. play a game for 1 hour do a project for 2 hours take a brake play a game work out.meet some friends.don't play game dont workout dont get on homeworks and just chill with some friends. in general just have fun not school either video games are so important.

You could ask for bans here to help with concentration. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend going back to video games unless you have a lot of extra time. However, if you have exttra time but know a paper is coming up, get it done instead.

Highly doubt a ban would work. It seems most of the workload is actually going to be today. If anything, I may need to do one paper tomorrow.

go for a run. absolutely take a break from tf2 if you feel like it's becoming a commitment rather than a pleasure.

more than once i've stepped back from it for weeks or months, only coming on to show my face on strife's server and make sure that nothing needs doing there. i'm currently filling applications for internships in summer, revising for exams, reading books for my current term's work, preparing for essays and presentations and generally trying to keep up with my other interests at the same time. tf2, trading, sitting on backpack all now need to take a backseat for the next month and a bit and that's fine. it takes some dedication and rewiring of what you expect to use your time for.

Well, that's what I need to start doing. I only started to drown myself into online games, because I had a former roommate who would be excessively obnoxious and loud and would consistently break my concentration at every given moment. Luckily, he has moved out, because he just eventually falling face-first into the ground and dropping out of college. Yet, this has been going on for a while now that I'm just out of shape and just exhausted when I come home from college. I probably need to switch up my schedule during the summer to adjust for the fall semester.

Yet, I do hold my work at higher value than what a good majority of my classmates do.

Id say focus on the important but make sure you have some stress relief. One of the many few reasons why violent games are still allowed by government is because they have shown to relieve stress. Obviously, dont be an idiot and imitate IRL, but for stress relief...yes.

When I get annoyed and frustrated, I play some zombies. Blasting brains and the sense of dominance over my undead enemy brings me peace.

Yeah. I need to have some healthy balance between the such.

Since I was out two weeks for a major blizzard in February, they have been rushing so much work onto everyone that it isn't funny. That's why I've been having problems keeping up with the pace, because it is consistently like two projects or papers due every week now. This isn't even considering the lab assignments I have to do in my Calculus class at all, which they have been steady at one or two assignments per week.

(This isn't even considering the book work they have been sending us home with, so we have a better understanding of the lesson.)

You need to take time for yourself. Treat yourself with little bits like one round or 15-20 minutes in Animal Crossing per assignment completed. (Don't go for the Tales games though, they'll suck you in for too long. Instead, make those an end game reward). Another thing I'd suggest is just going to a park and just zoning out for an hour or so, let yourself unwind and let the stress wash away.

Another thing that could alleviate some stress would be your fellow students. If a small group of you can tackle some of the labs and assignments together (as in working everything out, not one person does the first half and the other does the second), you'll find that they'll go quicker and can be easier to understand. Of course, everyone would need to be study-oriented, as otherwise a person could lead the group astray and wind up wasting a lot of time.

Otherwise, in a worse case scenario, you might have to perform triage on your assignments. If it means keeping your sanity and stability, sacrificing 1-2 assignments in the short term may benefit you in the long run. However, this should be a last-resort option and only should be taken if you are willing to accept the consequences.

You need to take time for yourself. Treat yourself with little bits like one round or 15-20 minutes in Animal Crossing per assignment completed. (Don't go for the Tales games though, they'll suck you in for too long. Instead, make those an end game reward). Another thing I'd suggest is just going to a park and just zoning out for an hour or so, let yourself unwind and let the stress wash away.

Another thing that could alleviate some stress would be your fellow students. If a small group of you can tackle some of the labs and assignments together (as in working everything out, not one person does the first half and the other does the second), you'll find that they'll go quicker and can be easier to understand. Of course, everyone would need to be study-oriented, as otherwise a person could lead the group astray and wind up wasting a lot of time.

Otherwise, in a worse case scenario, you might have to perform triage on your assignments. If it means keeping your sanity and stability, sacrificing 1-2 assignments in the short term may benefit you in the long run. However, this should be a last-resort option and only should be taken if you are willing to accept the consequences.

I ended up doing the triage scenario yesterday on the assignments and finding out one of them were due tonight, not last night. At least that was done.

And yeah, Tales games are normally time wasters and they consume a ton of time, especially in certain portions of the game. In Graces alone, I spent many hours in the desert overleveling my characters and unlocking the harder difficulties, which only helped for a bit before I had to grind later on in the game. At least Animal Crossing is a small game that you can probably spend 30 minutes a day playing and progressing the town. (Unless you have it so built and even then, it would only take you a hour.)

Parks and extra stuff are via bus, which by the time I get home in the afternoon--I only have about two hours of sunlight left. I'Il end up just relaxing in bed for a bit, stretching, and just staring out the window for a bit to clear my head. If I only had more time during the evenings, I would go to the park. I think I feel very tense as of late, because I haven't spent much time to myself, but instead--trying to please everyone else.

Archived