Why do Collector item prices differ so much?

eggbot

Having not one bit of information on collector items , I am perplexed at why prices of collector weps / hats can differ so much

Is it due to the rarity of the collector sets?

Miscs are worth more due to rarity.

Although they differ in price due to hype/overpricing (E.g. C KE vs. C Rack.)

Weapons are pretty common and also easier to complete.

They differ in price to popularity of the weapon itself. (E.g. C phlog vs. C Homewrecker

It's like how I have a 25 key offer on my Collector's Brim Full of Bullets empty chem set, yet a 500 key offer on my Collector's Tuxxy set. It's all about the desirability of the item. I basically made my fortunes on Collector's Chem sets. Miscs rarities range from one of a kind to up to six - weapons can range from 250 that exist (escape plan, other generic weapons) to 25 (Bat Outta Hell, Conscientious Objector). I suppose with time they'll only increase in value (which is why I have 30 collector's miscs/chem sets at present)

If you want an idea of just how rare Collector's Misc sets are, there's a comprehensive list on this group page of all the ones that us hardcore collector's know of: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Hat_Collectors

Similar to stranges, some are more widely used and therefore well liked and therefore expensive. Primaries tend to be expensive, weapons like the degreaser or deadringer end up pricey.  New weapons also get pricey, such as the B.A.S.E. jumper (not so new now).  Some weapons can be hard to find, driving the market up.

Here's what makes them REALLY pricey:

-popular weapon

-scarcity

-hype

-can be strangified

-no other option exists aside from unique (rocket jumper, gunboats, vita-saw, etc.)

The more of those that are true, the more pricey it tends to be.  

Archived