Just got scammed. Yay.

RNG_Wizard

>Bought unusual quicksell, planned on selling it and starting off as an unsual trader, hopefully finally getting my dream hat.

>Wait all night

>Bump trades in the morning

>Someone adds me

>Acting kinda shifty, but hey, I'll be careful

>Asks to see the history and all that

>Get him the history, show him the stats, it's a good deal, clean hat

>Asks that I use a close friend as a middleman

>I choose a close friend, tell him not to give the hat to him no matter what, tell him not to trade unless I say so in the chat window we've had open for about 10 minutes

>Wait 5 minutes of silence

>He gave le scammer's fake of my account the hat, not heeding any of my warnings

>He's sitting there screaming when he realized what he did

>I'm sitting here falsely 'idgaf'ing

>Crying inside

>My friend is dead to me

>Kill my friend later that day

~Fin

question: why did you need a middleman. for a 1:1 trade? i mean. if you get his items. and he gets yours. at the exact same time? yeah sorry no remorse from me, thats just not thinking straight

question: why did you need a middleman. for a 1:1 trade? i mean. if you get his items. and he gets yours. at the exact same time? yeah sorry no remorse from me, thats just not thinking straight

Good question. I've learned today that I'm not the smartest person.

This is the oldest trick in the book. You should read up on common scams before you start trading.

Eh, I've got a few hundred hours worth of trading, and I told my friend not to trade under any circumstances, even if I told him to, and he ignored me. I felt as though I used every safeguard I had outside of completely closing the trade, which was certainly the best idea.

Sorry for your loss, hope you can trade up to it.

Thanks, but that was all my backpack except 5 keys :/ 

Oh well, I heard Payday got a new update...

Eh, I've got a few hundred hours worth of trading, and I told my friend not to trade under any circumstances, even if I told him to, and he ignored me. I felt as though I used every safeguard I had outside of completely closing the trade, which was certainly the best idea.

Guide to scamming/phishing techniques http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/27624-guide-phishing-and-scamming-techniques/

Hopefully you wont get scammed again.

That's the point where you see if they are going to scam you or not. If they ask you that, remove them (or mess with them). Look out for it.

rip

Never have a middleman unless you're gambling or doing a trade where someone goes before the other IF YOU REALLY NEED ONE.

No need to end a friendship over 25 keys.... even if you should be a younger kid, you can just work 2 or 3 hours and you'll have enough cash to rebuy... ;)

>Bought unusual quicksell, planned on selling it and starting off as an unsual trader, hopefully finally getting my dream hat.

>Wait all night

>Bump trades in the morning

>Someone adds me

>Acting kinda shifty, but hey, I'll be careful

>Asks to see the history and all that

>Get him the history, show him the stats, it's a good deal, clean hat

>I choose a close friend, tell him not to give the hat to him no matter what, tell him not to trade unless I say so in the chat window we've had open for about 10 minutes

>He gave le scammer's fake of my account the hat, not heeding any of my warnings

>He's sitting there screaming when he realized what he did

>I'm sitting here falsely 'idgaf'ing

>Crying inside

>My friend is dead to me

>Kill my friend later that day

~Fin

Also, is this the wrong place for this? I can't really find where to put this, so if this isn't the right place, tell me and I'll try to get a mod to move it. Thanks.

It's not your friend's fault, it's yours.  This scam is so common that all you had to do was google "trusted friend TF2" and it's literally the first fucking search result that explains the scam.  Take responsibility for your own actions (or lack thereof) and don't blame others for your fuck-ups.  

Middleman needs to be neutral. It makes no sense to pick your friend. The other guy wouldn't allow it if he was actually interested to trade with you.

Your "close friend" is a real life buddy or a virtual guy whom you hang out with?

I'm asking this because, looking from outside:

* scammer asks for a "close friend middleman" in a 1:1 trade

* you "close friend" makes a mistake to beneffit the scammer

Its only your fault and you deserve what you got. If you care about your items you must research all the risks involved. Your friend has nothing to do with the scam, its not his responsibility.

Laughed. Sorry.

You have had an unusual, you know better than this mate.

*Blames friend* Now I don't like you. You don't blame him for you being a tard. I hope to Gaben you have screenshots or video. Seriously. I record even text conversations just to keep proof of people being asshats. Please, PLEASE post screenshots and then move on. You messed up, sucks, but oh well.

Good luck on your future trading. Safe travels.

Edit:

I assume this is the Unusual: http://backpack.tf/item/2155335624

Which would make this your friend: http://backpack.tf/u/76561198025975155

Which would make this the scammer: http://backpack.tf/u/76561198083570878

And would explain why he is QSing the hell outta the hat.

PS EDIT:

You need to contact an admin with the proof you have, along with the links I just posted. Good luck mate.

PPS EDIT:

Two(of four) of the guys who +Trusted that profile are marked on SR...

PPPS EDIT:

Banned on TF2OutPost: http://www.tf2outpost.com/user/76561198083570878

-Thanks CrAb

Just wanna say thanks to everyone replying here, even those just calling me an idiot, you guys are certainly teaching me a lesson here. Aethroz, big thanks to you for grabbing all those links, I hadn't actually made the connection between the alt and the actual individual behind it all yet, and thanks for pointing out that the hat was already being resold. I've gone ahead and reported both the alt and the main account on steam, so thanks for everyone's help. Even if I don't get my hat back out of this, it's just a hat, and I've certainly learned something about trading here today. Hopefully this could be an example or even a warning for anyone that's in a situation similar to me, being new to unusual trading.

Here is a tip, add a tag to a friend I gave (IRL) to my friend Ronstig. So it helps identify who is the impersonator and who is your friend.

Here is a tip, add a tag to a friend I gave (IRL) to my friend Ronstig. So it helps identify who is the impersonator and who is your friend.

I've actually already done that with all my closer friends, but it would seem as though he hasn't. Can't blame him though, not many people do that apparently.

I remembered a guy added me for my unusual and he asked 'who is your trusting friend we can do for middleman?' and I referred my husband. I knew the scam so I decided to 'tag' along with him.

After giving my unusual to my husband, the scammer consequentially asked me and him "do you trust me", "do you trust him" crap and BOY (to make it sure) did we got his ass banned in a day. x'D (according the profile) Don't ask how was it fast.

Considered me snobby to play around with scammers makes a day worth it though.

Anyways, be careful next time and I hope you can rebuild profit again.

this is because the scammer is saying that he thinks ur hat is duped. but you show history of the hat to him and he saying "nah im not convinced i think its still duped"

its pretty dumb of a scam

Archived