Maybe Manipulation?

Eric M

-snip-

Medal please, preferrably golden.

-snip snip-

No intention of defending my actions, or to bother disputing your points. I'll let readers judge for themselves the flaws made apparent by my actions.

-snip snip snip [feel like a barber]-

-strokes your ego too- Hey if it weren't for you, this would have never been noticed by the masses who look at the forums :D Give yourself the credit you deserve, despite the ease of the alts I am glad someone actually picked up on it.

You are most certainly right, there are many more people out there who are sick of seeing classifieds being manipulated by restockers who use scanners, being ignored by bp.tf mods, and are willing to undertake such actions despite the risk of a bp.tf ban, which lets be honest here, for those who don't suggest, or list classifieds.. is not much of a big deal. If it causes mods' a headache having to ban them, maybe they will take action against the issue they have, talking to them doesn't seem to work. At least that is the way people I have spoken to see it.

But I'd disagree with you on the inverse correlation between scanners buying up a low end, forcing a higher price shown in classified, and lowering a price floor by faking listings. There is evidence suggesting over the past 120 hours that lowering a floor on classifieds causes people to react at least in some degree to the classified price. It is not a stretch to fathom that scanners which create a determined floor causes people to react to that specified price. While creating a bankrun does not solve the issue as you say, it does highlight for all to see how easily it is, in either respect, to cause a change in price based on classified listings.

No problem, no forgiveness asked for, we have done our best to highlight this point through backchannels without having to take action deemed wrong.. but eventually you have to actually show it to people so they can see it for themselves. Happy to fall on the sword for it, and I am positive I won't be the last until it is resolved.

>supplemental from edit: Thanks, wouldn't of had the necessary points to make a suggestion anyway ;)

http://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198066595932 has been online pretty much 24/7. He had 2 keys for sale yesterday when I was going through the list, online the whole time, for "competitively low" prices. He's sold one since relisting today. It's hard for me to imagine that he hasn't had any adds for them.

Anyway, I sent an add, I'll see if he ever gets around to dealing with it.

http://backpack.tf/u/76561198143240192 This key has been around since yesterday, with him online most of the time [ayy guess who finally went offline]. I sent an offer, we'll see if he get's to it.

The first still hasn't accepted my friend request, the second still hasn't accepted the trade offer.

Are there any plans in the works to auto-cancel high supply / high demand listings after a set amount of time, for instance key listings after 24 hours unbumped? If you can't sell it within 24 hours of bumping, nor bump it within a 24 hour period, it's likely that you're either offline for a while and probably shouldn't have the listing up, you're doing it on purpose, or you really aren't one to deal with the whole "trading" thing. If anyone would like to chime in on that suggestion, whether for or against it, lay out your thoughts.

Sounds like a suggestion.

Sounds like a suggestion.

We don't have the time to peruse the thousands of classifieds listings. We deal with what gets reported to us. Keys get reported frequently, and we remove listings made by people offline for more than a few hours. Same thing for buds. 

For the record, Mr. Onion Knight is far from the first person who has been banned for these sorts of manipulation attempts. 

Archived