Should I Buy Old Xbox Games on Steam?

Chief Wiggum

Rebuying XBox Games  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Buying Old XBox Games for Steam Worth It?

• Yes
    • No
    • Better to spend elsewhere
    • I have no strong feelings either way
    • I only chose this option on the poll to make me feel like my vote meant something.

I have recently been feeling nostalgic and sort of want to play the games I used to play when I was younger on my Xbox, so I thought I might rebuy them on Steam (PC master race) since I had sold my Xbox years ago. I noticed a lot of old games I used to love playing had been ported to Steam and I was wondering if it might be worth the money to purchase them again.

I realize this is sort of a personal question, but I am curious what you guys (and gals) happen to think about the idea. I have heard old games ported to Steam often have poor controls or crash often, so I'm curious if any of you have personal experience or feedback on the matter.

For those curious, here are some of the games I plan on buying:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - http://store.steampowered.com/app/12110 (please no buy GTA V, I am too poor :()
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell - http://store.steampowered.com/app/13560

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath - http://store.steampowered.com/app/15750

Psychonauts - http://store.steampowered.com/app/3830

I would say yes those are good games look on TF2Outpost for good deals to save some money

I went through the reviews for all games and seen no one complaining about the controls or crashing

Some old games might not support 16:9 so just be aware of that

Yes, when they're on sale or part of a humble bundle.

Alternatively, you could likely find an old xbox + games for rather cheap and physically collect your nostalgia.

Me, I do both. I collect games for my consoles (primarily focusing on Xbox 360 which is 43% complete) but also don't turn away a good steam sale.

Alternatively, you could likely find an old xbox + games for rather cheap and physically collect your nostalgia.

Ohhh! That's actually a really good point! I hadn't thought of actually just going out and buying another one...

Ohhh! That's actually a really good point! I hadn't thought of actually just going out and buying another one...

We are like two console generations past the old Xbox, so finding one for cheap shouldn't be much of a hassle.

Stranger's Wrath doesn't work on a lot of PC's because of shitty GPU drivers/compatibility. I own it and I can't get it to work. Psychonauts is still funny, but the gameplay has not aged very well. Can't speak to the others, as I don't own them.

If you want to preserve your nostalgia, then don't replay them; they will not have aged well, and it can only tarnish your memories of the original. If you want to replay them for fun, then they are certainly good value for money (particularly the ones that can be gotten for a pittance from a bundle). Newer games might serve you better, though, both because they will be new experiences and because they aren't using such dated game designs and graphics.

>take money

>go to walmart

>buy steam gift card

>go home

>type in code

>get more hats

>profit

If you want to preserve your nostalgia, then don't replay them; they will not have aged well, and it can only tarnish your memories of the original.

I'd disagree there. To me, games only don't age well when the core factor about them upon release is the graphics. If the game was fun because of great gameplay, story, and the like, it will still retain most, if not all, of it's charm from years ago.

I'd disagree there. To me, games only don't age well when the core factor about them upon release is the graphics. If the game was fun because of great gameplay, story, and the like, it will still retain most, if not all, of it's charm from years ago.

Ugly graphics are still ugly, regardless of other parts of the game. Aesthetics are only one part of the experience, and great gameplay can be hampered by bad graphics and vice-versa. I didn't play Brutal Legend until well after its original release, and the good writing/sound design/voice acting, didn't make up for or soften the fact that the gameplay was bland and outdated. I replayed Psychonauts back when the HIB first included it, and the aged graphics did dampen my experience.

Admittedly, how well a game's looks age depends on the art style that the game uses. I started playing Prince of Persia (2008) a week ago, and the game's bright cel-shaded art style did age fairly well, and the clothing physics are actually incredibly detailed and realistic. Though some of the bugs and visual derps when it comes to lighting effects are still noticeable. And the the hair physics are garbage.

Obviously each person has a separate tolerance for these sorts of things, but the game industry has evolved over time. Newer games are more likely to be better, in many areas.

Archived