TF2 Chat Filter?

0CAPguy0

The problem:

So I'm sure we have all had a chat stream like this on trade servers. This is not a real chat stream; it's just an example of what's pretty common.

RED = chat I actually want to see.

[RTD] Bigboobman rolled: godmode for 10 seconds.

Remember, you can view a backpack with !bp

Arandomplayer joined the game.

RANDOM EVENT HAPPENS IN 10 MINUTES!

Bigboobman (6969 points) fragged I<3lmaobox (1337 points)

Lenny: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Arandomplayer left the game.

Bigboobman: [ ] not rekt [x] reck #yoloswagg2015getshrekt

[RTD] Bigbooman's effect wore off.

I<3lmaobox: HACKER!1!!!!one YOU GOT LMAOBOX!!!11!1!

Atrader joined the game

[RTD] Lenny rolled: whatever for 30 seconds.

I<3lmaobox: GIT GOOD! GIT LMAOBOX!

I<3lmaobox: crap

Atrader: Buying Steam trading cards! Also selling page 4 of my backpack!

[sM] ADMIN banned I<3lmaobox

Randomguy1: so how was your day today

[RTD] Lenny's effect has worn off.

Randomguy2: oh it has been good

Randomguy1: blabla random talking

Randomguy2: random talking

[serverName] Remember to read the rules! And put [yoloswag] in front of your name! And join our Steam Group! And like our Facebook! And this! And this! And this! . . . (more random crap I dont want to hear about)

[hop] ServerName' Trade Plaza #1 - trade_plaza (27/32) [type !servers to join]

Lenny: Selling Bill's Hats if anyone is interested.

freindlynewb: how do i build as inventor

friendlynewb changed his name to [FTP]friendlynewb

[FTP]friendlynewb: any1

RANDOM EVENT HAPPENS IN 60 SECONDS! OMG WE'RE DOOMED

Blingblingadmin has joined the game

Lenny: BLING!!!

randomguy2: heybling

Bigboomman: sup man

randomguy1: hows it going bling

[FTP]friendlynewb: whos bling?

[RTD] Lenny rolled: explode.

Arandomtrader: hey bling, hows your day going?

[RTD] Lenny died during their roll.

Blingblingadmin: Hey all! :D

Blingblingadmin: (∩ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)⊃â”☆゚. * ・ 。゚   Magic

Bigboobman: hey did you check my friend's unban request?

RANDOM EVENT IS HAPPENING! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Blingblingadmin: no sorry, Ill get to it later tonight tho

friendlynewb: sellig guns 1 scrap each1

Bigboobman: alright thanks

OK OK, it's not always that bad. As humorous as it is though, I hope some of you can understand and relate. As can be shown by the highlighting, I only want to see messages that contain words like "buy" "sell" or "trade."

So far my research on a chat filter has been unsuccessfull. I'll categorize it in three different areas:

Default TF2 Filtering

Obviously the best place to start is with functions built into TF2. I know I can mute spammers, (like Lenny in my example) however that is undesireable because you can see he did a legit chat message. The only other thing is the built in chat filters. But those don't do very much. Also both of these methods do nothing to prevent auto message spam done by [serverName] or [RTD] in the example.

External Programs

Helpful client-side mods were plentiful on many of the other multiplayer games I've played. My only guess as to why a well-established 7 year old game doesn't have near the same is because of Big Brother. (Valve and their VAC) However server side mods are plentiful. The problem is I can't take these mods and make them clientside

Filtering on a packet level

Here is where we get a little deep. After trying the above, I thought I could perhaps filter chat packets that don't contain the above keywords. (buy sell trade) So I hopped onto a random server and started sniffing. To my disappointment however, there doesn't seem to be any plain text chat packets I could find.

The question

This long discussion brings me to my question: Does any know of a good clientside way to filter chat? If not, any ideas on where I should look next?

(Comments I don't want)

I have already posted a similar question on the Steam Forums. But one look at it (https://steamcommunity.com/app/440/discussions/0/618458030690508453/) will convince you of how immature the internet has become. (hm, maybe the topic of another forum post) So I have posted it again here, and these are the types of comments I don't want:

Don't look at chat!          (get out)

Google it!                       (what do you think I have been doing? :/)

Don't use trade server!  (I have my reasons, we can discuss that later)

Durr hurr troll lol!            (I blame your parents, anyone 13 and younger shouldn't be allowed on the internet)

OMG NECROPOST!      (I honestly don't give a crap about necroposting rules. If this post gets necro-ed for some reason, it helps me all the more)

Well that's all! What do you guys think?

I don't think clientside stuff for this exists, although you can google a solution for linux.

However, alliedmodders/sourcemod has a serverside plugin called "TidyChat", you might want to find it. I use it on my server too.

Linux IS able to hide the stuff you don't want, clientside.

I don't think clientside stuff for this exists.

However, alliedmodders/sourcemod has a serverside plugin called "TidyChat", you might want to find it. I use it on my server too.

Linux IS able to hide the stuff you don't want, clientside.

Hm, I know about TidyChat. Can you expound on the Linux thing?

Hm, I know about TidyChat. Can you expound on the Linux thing?

I'm not used to linux or other OS's than windows, but iirc linux has a command/parameter that can be used to disable messages from displaying.

EDIT: I found it.

"grep -v" 

Here's an example: "grep -v Setting\ sv_visiblemaxplayers\ to\ 6\ for\ MvM" - you must put a \ on the end of every word. The example won't display any "Setting sv_visiblemaxplayers to 6 for MvM" :^)

Don't take my word as 100% true, I haven't used linux for a damn long time.

I'm not used to linux or other OS's than windows, but iirc linux has a command/parameter that can be used to disable messages from displaying.

EDIT: I found it.

"grep -v" 

Here's an example: "grep -v Setting\ sv_visiblemaxplayers\ to\ 6\ for\ MvM" - you must put a \ on the end of every word. The example won't display any "Setting sv_visiblemaxplayers to 6 for MvM" :^)

Don't take my word as 100% true, I haven't used linux for a damn long time.

This looks interesting. How does the system know that it is grep-ing a chat stream and not just a file or directory?

This looks interesting. How does the system know that it is grep-ing a chat stream and not just a file or directory?

I dunno really, I last used linux more than 1 year ago, I rage quitted because over 50 of the plugins I used on that server I had at that time weren't working at all. 

windows ftw

hud_saytext_time 3

the best filter ever :D

honestly though it would be kinda cool if you could filter messages on or off based on keywords, like you can with servers in the server browser.

hud_saytext_time 3

the best filter ever :D

honestly though it would be kinda cool if you could filter messages on or off based on keywords, like you can with servers in the server browser.

Haha, you won't belive how much I use this. xD I even have a spray that says "Keep calm and hud_saytext_time 0

I'm currently 18 and the older I get, the younger the rest of the internet croud gets in relation to me. Perhaps thats why I've been so crazy about spam in recent months.

Archived