present from [unknown]

trikster

Yeah, it kinda sucks since I have signed items and it shows up as 'Gifted by [unknown]'

I dunno why it happens but I think they have to be on your friends list or on the server or something for it to show their name.

The unknown tag only appears if the person who gifted it isn't on your fiends list; if they are on your friends list, it shows their name to you, but not to others who don't have them as a friend. If you unfriended them or they unfriended you, their name will simply just show as unknown.

The unknown tag only appears if the person who gifted it isn't on your fiends list; if they are on your friends list, it shows their name to you, but not to others who don't have them as a friend. If you unfriended them or they unfriended you, their name will simply just show as unknown.

Wow, that must suck. Doesn't that mean signed items are done for? Because selling them to someone would just make it say unknown...

Wow, that must suck. Doesn't that mean signed items are done for? Because selling them to someone would just make it say unknown...

Bazaar, Outpost and Backpack.tf still show the Gifted By Tags as normal, so the market isn't dead

but, that market should be dead

Bazaar, Outpost and Backpack.tf still show the Gifted By Tags as normal, so the market isn't dead

Probably will be once people realize it just says unknown and most likely ask for what they traded for it back. But I dunno, maybe it is just a glitch and Valve will patch it soon.

1250852526_kermit_bale_emma.jpg.gif

True, true...

Cottonbonbon, then why could i see the name before if the person isnt on my friend list? 

It may had been a glitch, or possibly your inventory/friends list didn't update for a while after they were off your friends list.

Technically I think that was what valve was thinking of when they implemented the feature, more specifically in regards to items that were being resold after being signed by popular tf2 players/members of the community. From what I heard, they added the feature to gift tags to try and discourage that part of the market, which they somewhat did succeed in doing since, like I said earlier, if the person isn't on your friends list it just appears as unknown, making reselling of signed items kind of pointless.

Meh, the only "signed" items I have are some crates and a couple of Accell crafts I picked up for their regular price.

Archived