Atlanta Cheating Scandal and Morality of Education Funding.

Engi Desu

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/01/us/atlanta-schools-cheating-scandal/

I read this and I do agree the educators should be put into jail for their crimes, but... I found this bit interesting:

During his investigation, he heard that educators cheated out of pride, to earn bonuses, to enhance their careers or to keep their jobs, he said.

This is what has me in a flustered right here. If these teachers were forced into doing this scandal, so they actually have a job to come back to, then this shows some really deep moral issues with the education system and how it's funded. Our education system shouldn't be based off of tiers based off of who's better and who's not for funding. This type of shit right here promotes these types of cheating scandals, corruption in the school system, and just passing people by, so they would get paid more and/or not putting up with them anymore. I'm not going to dismiss the educators that took advantage of this for greed, but this should open up to how flawed our education funding is now.

= - = - = - = - =

Hell, I'll take it back to my home state, where teachers here have been shitted out of their raises and pay for several years. (Not include the plan they're passing this year, which actually undermines the whole pay alone.) Teachers are literally considering moving out of the state of North Carolina for employment or literally abandoning their teaching job for another job, because how low their salaries are. You can make $30,000 - $45,000 a year and that's a good amount of money, but when society says "teachers need to try harder" or "teachers are shit at their jobs"... it puts stress on you. It makes you feel like your work is nothing, but a waste of time and has been nothing of value. Not only just that, teachers are putting their salary money back in to help their students, rather than the state doing that for them.

Sources on the NC Issue: 

http://www.wral.com/pay-raise-not-enough-to-keep-some-teachers-in-classroom/13936688/

http://www.wral.com/-alarming-wake-teacher-turnover-numbers-to-be-released-thursday/13576437/

http://www.wral.com/low-pay-forces-nc-teachers-to-choose-between-profession-state/12828323/

>CNN News

I don't think it really is society that is putting the pressure on teachers but rather the shit "standardized tests" and that pressure to get the scores up. Oh, your students don't have high enough scores? The governments says "ITS YOUR FAULT TEACHER". This in turn puts the pressure on teacher and promotes this kind of scandal.

>CNN News

I don't think it really is society that is putting the pressure on teachers but rather the shit "standardized tests" and that pressure to get the scores up. Oh, your students don't have high enough scores? The governments says "ITS YOUR FAULT TEACHER". This in turn puts the pressure on teacher and promotes this kind of scandal.

(I tried to get a better source, but the ones I kept finding were like "you can only read five articles, until you can pay for subscription. I was like lol no.)

I do believe society has some role in this, because if their kid isn't performing well, then the parents get upset with the teacher and cause more stress onto that teacher. Alongside, we hold teachers to quite of a high standard, so if they get students that are failing and/or the government telling them "YOUR FAULT", then they look at themselves as failures.

(I tried to get a better source, but the ones I kept finding were like "you can only read five articles, until you can pay for subscription. I was like lol no.)

I do believe society has some role in this, because if their kid isn't performing well, then the parents get upset with the teacher and cause more stress onto that teacher. Alongside, we hold teachers to quite of a high standard, so if they get students that are failing and/or the government telling them "YOUR FAULT", then they look at themselves as failures.

Pro-tip:

Unless its the WSJ, which is irritating as hell, you can just go into the website's HTML and just delete that pop-up. It's worked for me in the past.

As for the topic, I think it's everyone's fault- Teacher's often not being effective or refusing to change their methods, Parents being helicopters, Kids not giving a crap, the entire system for babying these kids up until standardized test (Which are already bullshit-levels easy, and something is wrong there) and then dropping them and the state on their asses. The students shouldn't just need to do good on tests, which need to hold less sway (Amusing they hold any, given their content- The SAT's getting turned into a joke being the prime example).

I just remembered a double pro-tip:

Use the site Rewardsurveys. It's actually legit- you fill out surveys and then get free publications, the WSJ being one of the most notable. Although I don't read about celeb bullshit, so there may be good stuff for that there as well.

Archived