Backpack view - Major changes incoming, feedback + ideas needed inside.

Brad Pitt

I'm currently re-writing the backpack viewer to handle multi-game better. There are a few major changes that have occured because of this:

• New item filter box replaces Quality Distribution and Item Usage graphs ( benefit: more compact view )
  • Usage of new item hovers for backpack view ( benefit: faster browser rendering )
  • Class / Slot icon filters replaced by a drop down selection as part of the filters ( benefit: easier to use, more complete )

Since the item hovers are not DOM elements anymore, they make viewing backpacks a lot faster to be rendered. Scrolling a backpack doesn't lag, etc.

The Quality Distribution and Item Usage charts are "cool", but in reality don't really serve much of a purpose anymore. With the amount of items that exist in the TF2 universe, the "unique" pie takes about 75% on every single account. It lost its meaning. Same thing for the equipped graphs. These graphs just don't mean a whole lot anymore. Instead the new "filter" section will show exact numbers for each of these as well as allowing more space to show accurate counts for each of those.

Here's a sample of what the filter box could potentially look like:

48gVF.png

And clicking on one of the options would reveal the amount of each:

48h26.png

The item slot is no longer limited to weapon slots:

48hjx.png

The backpack view itself would stay identical, other than the hover box being completely revamped.

About the two filters listed as "All Items" in the filters: one is for craftable items and the other is for tradable items. So you can select to show all or only craftable or non-craftable, same for tradables. I need some help figuring out a better way show "All Items" in a better, clean fashion so you can understand what each box is for and not something that looks like a bug showing a duplicate drop down when it's not. "All Trade & Non-Tradable" and "All Craftable & Non-Craftable" is quite long. Maybe "No Craft Filter", "No Trade Filter" ?

Any other filters you would like to see and use? What do you think about these changes?

btw Brad, what happened to the home page design competition ?

Giving it a rest since we picked 2, maybe next month when/if I'm done with these crazy changes... :D

I have an idea to suggest. Could there possibly be a way to sort Unusuals like they used to via spreadsheet style. It could be an option to change from block to bar view. Anyways, that's just my suggestion.

If it is possbile then I'd ask to add to search multiple items at the same time. For example if you only want to search red and blue summer cooler keys, you cannot do that.

Oops, this isn't for backpacks but classified filters.

It wouldn't help me (See: poor) but can we get a pure buds/bills counter like the pure keys/ref counters? This could help a lot of users. 

It wouldn't help me (See: poor) but can we get a pure buds/bills counter like the pure keys/ref counters? This could help a lot of users. 

buds yes, that's very helpful for sure

"All Trade & Non-Tradable" and "All Craftable & Non-Craftable" is quite long. Maybe "No Craft Filter", "No Trade Filter" ?

Any other filters you would like to see and use? What do you think about these changes?

"Hide untradeable" / "Show Untradable"?

I would like a "minimum price" and "maximum age" filter.  Don't need much granularity or precision on max age; something like "last hour" / "last day" / "last week" would be fine.

I would also like the history dropdown to sort newest first, and for the title of a backpack page to show name, total value, and key/ref counts.

Better yet, have like three flex-counters in options, and display totals for those 3 items in the header on any backpack viewed.

"Hide untradeable" / "Show Untradable"?

I would like a "minimum price" and "maximum age" filter.  Don't need much granularity or precision on max age; something like "last hour" / "last day" / "last week" would be fine.

I would also like the history dropdown to sort newest first, and for the title of a backpack page to show name, total value, and key/ref counts.

The untradable / uncraftable filters are like this right now:

• All Items
  • Tradable
  • Non-Tradable

• All  Items
  • Craftable
  • Non-Craftable

"All Items" being the default option that appears in the filter section above. =/

• All Items
  • Tradable
  • Non-Tradable

ok I missed that.

"Tradable or not"?  It's only 1 em wider than "Non-Tradable". 

"Tradable&not"? "Tradable+not"?  Narrower still!

Could there be a sort by quantity option? I would love it as a guy who does that whole scrapbanking/selling weapons business :D

That's an interesting option -- showing items that you have many of first, instead of the current "highlight duplicate" function. I like it.

Dont think that will be much helpful. Because those with multi buds or bills know for a fact how many they have.

Not exactly a filter, but I think it would be wonderful to be able to more easily compare what changes have been made to a backpack through the backpack history. Like if you choose to compare backpack history from 2 dates, you can easily and visually see what changes have been made along with perhaps the items that have left the backpack in a red transparency and items that have entered the backpack (in that timespan) in a green transparency

Archived