College internet.

AwesomeMcCoolName

So, the internet here is pretty much complete crap (shocker, ik). 

Currently getting <1mbps DL, 1.5mbps UL. 

Thinking about getting Xfinity hook up. What plan should i get....

25mbps should be good for gaming. (Also might share it with suitmates to cut the cost, so maybe the bigger 50mbps plan would be better?)

i got by on 8/1 with 4 people when gaming without trouble.

25mbps is kinda extreme if you're the only one using it

i got by on 8/1 with 4 people when gaming without trouble.

25mbps is kinda extreme if you're the only one using it

$40 for 50, $30 for 25, $20 for 3.

So 25 probably makes the most sense. Especially if I'm gonna share it with 2 other people.

Also, sharing could be a bit problematic. For one, I can't get a wireless router. Secondly, they might not want it.

$40 for 50, $30 for 25, $20 for 3.

So 25 probably makes the most sense. Especially if I'm gonna share it with 2 other people.

Also, sharing could be a bit problematic. For one, I can't get a wireless router. Secondly, they might not want it.

pretty much any router today is wireless.

but with that priceplan, id go with 25, sharing would be fine with like 6 people

pretty much any router today is wireless.

but with that priceplan, id go with 25, sharing would be fine with like 6 people

the wireless part wouldn't be sn issue, but at most it would be 3 people. As I'd have to run the wire through a bathroom, to a room with only 2 people.

pfft. DD-WRT a wrt54G and hide it with AES256 encryption. Also be sure to select a different channel on the 5GHz freq that theirs isnt.

Easy peasy.

the wireless part wouldn't be sn issue, but at most it would be 3 people. As I'd have to run the wire through a bathroom, to a room with only 2 people.

I had a 20 meter cable through one room then straight in the middle of my room under the carpet. That was really no fun. Glad we installed it way better later, along the walls and under rails. If you really plan on using cables, install it good if you live there longer than 1 or 2 years.

A way better solution is where you just get your network connection through the circuit, but not sure if you can do that: http://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Network-Adapter-adapter-CM3-NW-032/dp/B00D1BVQU8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377109700&sr=8-1&keywords=socket+lan

There should be cheaper ones but that was the first I found on amazon.com (I doubt that german links would help you. :P)

PS: Took me like 10 minutes to make this post, just realized I hardly used any of those words in English before...

Assuming I don't end up sharing it with a roommate, is 6 fast enough for gaming (up to 6)?

Also,what's xfinitys position on tpb?

Alright, so I might just get 6 then if I'm by myself.

@woifi how do those things work anyway.... Where do they get the service from? (also, do they work well?)

As for a more permanent solution, I'm in a dorm so it'll only be like 9 months.

Xfinity might not be able to hookup in my dorm....haven't gotten a straight answer yet.

So, i have three choices. 

1. Pay $20 (i think its $20) and get a hotspot on my phone, or just tether it to my gaming computer for free, and then use the dorm's wifi for my other computer. (Getting around 5.5 mbps DL, 3mbps UL according to speedtest) [still have unlimited Data on my phone]
  2. Get the thing Woifi mentioned (someone do explain that)--I've seen multiple commercials relating to it (MagicJack, but it never made sense to me, plus is it reliable/fast?).  Thought it was like MagicJack (i.e. internet source), but its just a range extender, so nvm.
  3. Get a dedicated Hotspot (i'd assume its faster than my phone, and probably similar in price). Turns out a 4gb hotspot would be $50 a month (20 for the line, 30 for data)...Too much, probably going to use my phones tethering/hotspot. Does the Monthly Line Access fee get merged with my smartphone fee (i.e. there ends up being no additional fee other than data for the hotspot). 

I meant if you pay for the internet and have problems with cables, use my solution. :?

Yea. Figured that out. At first i thought it was like Magic Jack...

As of now, i'm pulling around 3mbps. (Dorm is less than half full atm). 

Yea. Figured that out. At first i thought it was like Magic Jack...

As of now, i'm pulling around 3mbps. (Dorm is less than half full atm). 

3 mbps as in actual download speed or the bs that speedtest tells you? 

3 mbps as in actual download speed or the bs that speedtest tells you? 

^

Plus, to make things worse, theres a daily 2gb cap (and 350mb throttling point, if i'm correct) 

Archived