Random Med question...

♠Derpeh♤

Assuming the total volume of blood in an average adult (70kg) is about 6 litres. The heart pumps at 5L/min and the haematocrit is 0.41. How much oxygen is carried by the blood? Answer in milli moles oxygen per min per kg body tissue.

Im dumb so anyone have any idea how to do this /(O_o)/??

im guessing your working on a paper/project/homework..

It's a stupid quiz i gotta do but the lecturer keeps screwing up the Qs has already changed like 4 questions because he gave the wrong infomation...

i saw that :D

Apparently it's wrong cuz it makes too many assumptions :S #notenoughinfomation #stupidquestion

Ha, I just so happen to know a thing or two about health (doing a science degree, one of my units is haematology). You have to make an assumption; partial oxygen pressure. I'll presume it's 100mm Hg , that way the large majority of Hb is fully saturated with oxygen atoms. I think this is a valid assumption because even at the lowest partial pressure of oxygen in tissue (40mm Hg) three oxygen atoms are bound for every haemoglobin molecule instead of 4, and it wouldn't drastically change the final answer if it was taken into consideration.

Ok, so the haematocrit tells you that 41% of the blood consists of red blood cells (the rest being plasma/white cells/platelet). Therefore the volume of blood that contain red cells: 0.41 x 6 = 2.46L

My Anatomy and physiology book says the reference ranges aren't the same across genders, but the mid-value is about 15 grams of haemoglobin per 100 millilitres (assumption number 2). Therefore the average is 150 g/L of haemaglobin: 2.46 x 150 = 369g of circulating Hb

It is stated that the molar mass of haemoglobin is 4 (iron atoms per molecule of Hb) x 16,000 = 64,000

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemoglobin

369/64,000 = 5.8 millimoles

Now because Hb has 4 Iron atoms per molecule we know the millimols of oxygen (5.8 x 4 = 23.2 mmols) This calculation is a bit redundant if I had just used 16,000 when working out the mols. 

23.2 / 5L per min= 4.64 mmols of oxygen per minute

Now divide that by the kilogram weight: 4.64 / 70 = 0.07 mmols oxygen per minute per kg of body tissue

Note: If I presumed all Hb had 3 molecules of oxygen I'd get 0.05 mmols oxygen per minute per kg of body tissue

Hope that was well explained. 

Edit: I laughed at the "No living person has a 0.41% hematocrit." comment in that yahoo answer. I believe the normal reference range is 0.37 - 0.47 in females here in Australia. 

Archived