Freedom and democracy

Tats

37 members have voted

1. 1. What is the current state of Freedom in the USA ?

• Pretty fine
    • As much as other countries
    • Low
    • As much as I would expect from an authoritarian regime
    • Don't care / Haven't got a clue

Hello everyone !

I started to watch a documentary from Aaron Russo, America: Freedom to Fascism. It deals with Freedom and Democracy in USA. It brings up many subjects such as the legitimacy of IRS to collect income taxes, the status of Federal Reserve System, the integrity of representatives, etc.

I don't know if any of you has heard of this documentary or even watched it. I'd interested to get your opinions on it, and more generally, do you think threats such as terrorism or wars can justify restrictions of freedom and to which extent ?

For the ones that haven't seen it, here is a link :

Why does this seem like a Republican video...?

Who made this video and what is his political bias?

the 2nd line of text in the original post answers the first half of your question...

Can you own property?

Already better than some places of the world.

Can you profess your political standing?

Already better than most places

I could go on all day man. People will always find some reason to complain. If you live in America, be grateful you can even post this on the internef.

I find it weird that there's only 2 political parties in murica. You just know that they're just fully going to block each other out and reverse each other's decisions as soon as they get the chance. Murica's simply not going anywhere.

I'd say that the US has a high degree of freedom and democracy, and I wouldn't be too worried about either if I lived there. 

However, I'm always annoyed when US citizens rub "muh freedom" in everyones faces, especially when there's the NSA is potentially watching them and when there were multiple attempts at restricting certain parts of the internet through e.g. SOPA. 

In terms of democracy of the US I'm not very educated, but from what I gathered I'd probably rate the democracy in e.g. Switzerland higher than the US counterpart. But there's also been recent flaws with the swiss system recently.

My vote goes to "pretty fine", but I'll have to say that I'd never classify either Democracy/Freedom of the US as outstanding compared to the rest of the world. Hence I'd love to vote on option two as well, as I see both would fit.

Archived