Why is the TF2 Economy better than the CSGO one?

Fenrir

Some kid in my English Lit class was spouting about how the CSGO economy was so much better than the TF2 one because

A ) The entire economy is in a choke hold by a third party site; bp.tf

B ) Key prices are fucked

C ) Too much refined in the game

Any responses, or comebacks to this? Also any reasons why the CSGO economy is not doing so well is welcome too.

1: We don't control prices, we watch what happens and report it.

2: Key prices are fine for people that actually invest real currency into the economy, actually if you put 2 dollars into the economy you might say key prices are great the way they are.

3: That's just the truth.

A ) The entire economy is in a choke hold by a third party site; bp.tf

B ) Key prices are fucked

C ) Too much refined in the game

A ) SCM, do i need to say more? Except god tier knives, but who actually uses bp prices for >20 bud unusuals?

B ) Well, this point is coming from C. No comments

C ) When there's too much skins in the game, happens the same situation, they start to worth less. Not the best comparsion, i know. Nothing to say here, cause it's true.

One economy's not better than the other, they're just different. It's almost like compering a 401K to a stock portfolio.

In tf2 (the 401K), people tend to be more moderate, making safe investments and watching their portfolios grow steadily. There are some risks as with anything, but unless something really stupid is done, no one really crashes and loses it all. Also, like with a 401K, the more money you put into it, the faster it'll grow.

With CS:GO (the stock portfolio), it's more about the risk and reward. People make profit by predicting trends and buying/selling before the winds shift, or make gambles with the market (team betting), hoping that it's going to pay off. Because the pace tends to be faster, a person who knows how to read the market can make profit much faster than in TF2. However, since you're putting your investments on the line constantly, there's always a chance that fate will turn against you and cause everything to come crashing down.

I'd say TF2's low end / normal hat/strange market is better consider there is no sub-key currency really... 

I feel like keys are going to be the new ref, and buds are going to be the new keys, and max heads are the new buds.

I feel like keys are going to be the new ref, and buds are going to be the new keys, and max heads are the new buds.

Care to give an explanation of why that would occur?

I feel like I don't want to compare those two because TF2 has refined metal. Refined metal controls a majority of trading. For CSGO weapons/skins are dropped and keys are a universal currency in CSGO except maybe a few other high tier skins like Awp Asiimovs. The way the function are not too similar, and CSGO is more SCM based than tf2. Overall, I'd say the TF2 "economy" is better developed than the CSGO one and the TF2 economy can easily be controlled by valve but the CSGO one can be controlled by the users more.

You cant deny that bp.tf controls prices, i mean cmon -.-

I will quote this with this link http://csgo.steamanalyst.com/ this is why csgo is a better economy to involve with.because thats how 3rd party sites should be working like you cant suggest a price when valve itself says you shouldn't allow others to price your items.

Main reason I quit tf2 trades is bp.tf I hope more will follow then they might rethink the way they shape the future of tf2 trades.

CSGO dosen't have any bigger currencies except asiimovs, fserps compared to Tf2.

It is easier to trade in csgo though since people there likes skins more than pure yet there are 20x more douchebags in csgo compared to tf2, they don't get a deal they want they just delete you. Its a no negotiation basis unless its a very high valued item

Both economies have their ups and downs none is really better than the other.

Copying and pasting a a reply i gave to a previous thread which applies to your question about cs:go trading:

Summary:
TF2: 
- Easy to make small profit
- Easier to get started in making profit (Decent items to start flipping dont cost as much)
- Getting to high tier trading where you can make multiple buds per trade takes a while
- Stable and established economy
- No betting system (tho there is one in the works)
- Prices are a lot more consistent i.e. rather than a sharp drop or sharp increase it's gradual (unless hype/update)
- Unusuals can take a while to sell.

CS:GO
- Harder to make small profit (Compared to tf2 when you basically need a scrap to start)
- Harder to get started into trading (Things cost a lot more for you to be able to start decently flipping)
- Relatively young and unstable market (But if you know what you are doing you can make alot of profit which is a benefit of a young economy or lose everything you have)
- Betting system (Tho it is good, games can easily be rigged/thrown which is why i myself dont bet but it is a good way to make profit)
- Prices can skyrocket or drop really sharply
- There is a much larger margin of profit when you get to mid-top tier knifes compared to tf2
- Generally knifes sell much faster than unusuals 
- You really need to be on top of the cs:go market tho, my GPU died and finals so i stopped followingon my cs:go alt for a month, came back to find everything dropped to hell, it was a good thing i cashed out most of my knives on my alt haha

You cant deny that bp.tf controls prices, i mean cmon -.-

Well bp.tf can't control the economy since you need pre-existing proof to make a suggestion however, once the suggestion is made is where we "control" the prices making people either jump ship driving prices down (Buds) or everyone blindly jumping on board driving prices through the roof (bmoc)

TF2 also shoots itself in the foot with steamrep, whilst it is good that we ban scammers many times it can be unjust. Eg a hightier trader will go thorough thousands of trades each month and if he just screws up twice he will be banned condemned a scammer, and everything they own whether it was legit acquired or not is also screwed making anyone who trades with him banned. It doesnt help that steamrep only bans high profile traders when they make a mistake and let everyone else run free :L

• I like tf2 trading more.

There is more to trade. Strange Hats, Strange weps, Strange parts that count only certain kills, hats, unusual hats, different seasons of effects of unusual hats, genuines, vintages, uncraftables, glitched items, craft numbers, i could go on for much longer but i'm sure youd rather me not.

Also, the fact we have refined is good.  Instead of having to pay a key for an item we want, when its only worth 1.50, we can use refined metal, to get .7ish of a key in refined metal.

All in all, i wouldn't say the CS:GO economy is better than tf2's, id simply say that our's dropped a bit, and weve all gotten used to it now.  As long as it will stay as is, i think we should be good for a long time after this.

I firmly disagree.  I feel like we had a slight drop, and now that weve gotten used to the change, we should be good. I think a lot of people (including you, sorry) are overracting with the whole thing.

I've been considering going into csgo trading but I have no idea where to start, it seems much more complicated with no currencies besides actual money or very specific skins

I've been considering going into csgo trading but I have no idea where to start, it seems much more complicated with no currencies besides actual money or very specific skins

every skin is a currency in cs:go prices are stable 90% of the time.

here is a good place for you to start http://csgo.steamanalyst.com/

• I like tf2 trading more.
  • There is more to trade. Strange Hats, Strange weps, Strange parts that count only certain kills, hats, unusual hats, different seasons of effects of unusual hats, genuines, vintages, uncraftables, glitched items, craft numbers, i could go on for much longer but i'm sure youd rather me not.
  • Also, the fact we have refined is good.  Instead of having to pay a key for an item we want, when its only worth 1.50, we can use refined metal, to get .7ish of a key in refined metal.
  • All in all, i wouldn't say the CS:GO economy is better than tf2's, id simply say that our's dropped a bit, and weve all gotten used to it now.  As long as it will stay as is, i think we should be good for a long time after this.

The second point is not entirely true when you count in knife conditions and patterns

I moved part of my digital wealth from CSGO to TF2, because I prefer to play TF2.

It's more convenient to trade in a game you play regularly to get in touch with trends and prices.

I earned digital money from trading CSGO items on the SCM, but it's very tricky sometimes. I was very careful because prices fluctuated very much but overall, I made some interesting profit. A general advice is to invest when prices are low and in items that have cosmetic and rarity potentials. Best period to invest is during updates (like tournaments, new unlockable crates, or new operation season). You can also get money by selling crates you drop on CSGO, they worth a lot at their beginning and keep valuable during a month or so. Buying the pass of the seasonal operation is a good plan to get interesting drops, such as the new case releases : after 2 or 3 drops, you amortize the price of the pass and get profitable.

TF2 trading is generally safer but less profitable (depends also on the period). I think there is no reason to get afraid of the TF2 economy, don't invest in the same item (it is common sense) and if not necessary, stay away from earbuds or items that are losing their value.

I firmly disagree.  I feel like we had a slight drop, and now that weve gotten used to the change, we should be good. I think a lot of people (including you, sorry) are overracting with the whole thing.

Im  not overacting, I'm saying im the future (6 months - 2 years) this will possibly happen. It is more likely than not because keys are going up, and buds are going down.

Im  not overacting, I'm saying im the future (6 months - 2 years) this will possibly happen. It is more likely than not because keys are going up, and buds are going down.

Do you have anything to back that up? That is a pretty bold statement to make. Refined is obtained without a cost, keys are obtained with money. For what your saying to work, keys would have to be boughtat the rate of refined metal, even if so that would just make it less in ref and the real world price(PayPal) would maybe dip but most likely no lower than $1.25.

"BP doesont control prices it reflects meerkat"

Haha

HAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHHA

No it doesn't. Almost everyone follows the bp.tf price, if you say that it reflects the market, then you're wrong and stupid.

Both economies have their ups and downs none is really better than the other.

Copying and pasting a a reply i gave to a previous thread which applies to your question about cs:go trading:

Summary:

TF2: 

- Easy to make small profit

- Easier to get started in making profit (Decent items to start flipping dont cost as much)

- Getting to high tier trading where you can make multiple buds per trade takes a while

- Stable and established economy

- No betting system (tho there is one in the works)

- Prices are a lot more consistent i.e. rather than a sharp drop or sharp increase it's gradual (unless hype/update)

- Unusuals can take a while to sell.

CS:GO

- Harder to make small profit (Compared to tf2 when you basically need a scrap to start)

- Harder to get started into trading (Things cost a lot more for you to be able to start decently flipping)

- Relatively young and unstable market (But if you know what you are doing you can make alot of profit which is a benefit of a young economy or lose everything you have)

- Betting system (Tho it is good, games can easily be rigged/thrown which is why i myself dont bet but it is a good way to make profit)

- Prices can skyrocket or drop really sharply

- There is a much larger margin of profit when you get to mid-top tier knifes compared to tf2

- Generally knifes sell much faster than unusuals 

- You really need to be on top of the cs:go market tho, my GPU died and finals so i stopped followingon my cs:go alt for a month, came back to find everything dropped to hell, it was a good thing i cashed out most of my knives on my alt haha

Well bp.tf can't control the economy since you need pre-existing proof to make a suggestion however, once the suggestion is made is where we "control" the prices making people either jump ship driving prices down (Buds) or everyone blindly jumping on board driving prices through the roof (bmoc)

TF2 also shoots itself in the foot with steamrep, whilst it is good that we ban scammers many times it can be unjust. Eg a hightier trader will go thorough thousands of trades each month and if he just screws up twice he will be banned condemned a scammer, and everything they own whether it was legit acquired or not is also screwed making anyone who trades with him banned. It doesnt help that steamrep only bans high profile traders when they make a mistake and let everyone else run free :L

You're forgetting that SteamRep is not just for one or the other. SteamRep encompasses all of Steam trading; CSGO and TF2

You're forgetting that SteamRep is not just for one or the other. SteamRep encompasses all of Steam trading; CSGO and TF2

Except on cs:go is like uncharted waters, there is no sharking people see it as a good deal since prices are right infront of your face it's practically your fault also it's pretty hard to check up the history of items making it a "scam for all".

Whilst I dont like scamming I actually prefer the uncharted waters since users would be forced to take responsibility for their items, that when you get scammed/phished it's all on you.

Archived