Was Jesus an actual person?

Explosion-chan

I think Jesus was a real person, but I know if he were born today, he'd probably be dead, in jail, or in a mental institution.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is plenty of historical evidence to say yes, he existed, but he was just a man. He had siblings which the bible always fails to mention, lead a normal life and whatever. Some believe he was schizophrenic and thats where the idea that he was the son of god came from.

I don't think so.  We have credible information and physical evidence of many significant historical figures that existed long before Jesus, but when it comes to the person who is supposed to be one of the most important figures to all mankind (or at least western civilization), we have basically nothing.  All we have to go on are the claims found in a few scraps from anonymous authors (the gospels) written years after the events in them supposedly took place, which aren't corroborated by ANY sources contemporary to the people and events described in them. 

Even the few non-christian references to the personage of Jesus which are held up as evidence of his existence were written several decades later by people who did not and could not have witnessed him, and one of them is widely believed to be a forgery.  That said, I think it's possible that the Jesus myth could have grown out of an amalgam of different stories of messianic figures, both real and imaginary.

Roman execution records. He's there.

Are these records available on the internet to look at?

Are these records available on the internet to look at?

Doubtful!  As I said, there is no written record of Jesus from within his own alleged lifetime.  Everything ever written about him, including the gospels, was written many years after he was supposed to have lived.  The gospels themselves aren't even known to be written by the disciples they are attributed to!  It's very strange, and I think this is the main reason for doubting that Jesus ever existed.  You'd think there would be some records from within his own life, or at least a contemporary record of his execution, but there isn't.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I have one or two of them working for me.

On a more serious note; I believe he was. 

Why does it matter?

Gives people drama. Gotta have some controversy about a religion based on faith.

Btw, cnn has a series called Finding Jesus.

Doubtful!  As I said, there is no written record of Jesus from within his own alleged lifetime.  Everything ever written about him, including the gospels, was written many years after he was supposed to have lived.  The gospels themselves aren't even known to be written by the disciples they are attributed to!  It's very strange, and I think this is the main reason for doubting that Jesus ever existed.  You'd think there would be some records from within his own life, or at least a contemporary record of his execution, but there isn't.

Interesting...when i visited israel, there were several scrolls mentioning jesus...perhaps just a mistranslation.

Also, if the romans hated jesus so much, they would have taken records of him and destroyed them. Same with the Jews. If everyone around him hated him as the records say, then, records would have been destroyed.

Interesting...when i visited israel, there were several scrolls mentioning jesus...perhaps just a mistranslation.

Also, if the romans hated jesus so much, they would have taken records of him and destroyed them. Same with the Jews. If everyone around him hated him as the records say, then, records would have been destroyed.

There are records of countless tribes/civilisations that Rome "hated", such as Carthage.

There are records of countless tribes/civilisations that Rome "hated", such as Carthage.

The Carthaginian accounts are mostly gone though, sadly we have very one-sided Roman accounts mostly. And Jesus as a historical person I believe did exist but the proof is not conclusive

We have various sources that converge and mention Jesus :

- Evangelists : St Mark, Matthew, Luke and John. Some other apocryphal gospels.

- Roman politicals, historians and philosophers : for example, Pliny the Younger, Tacitus and Suetonius.

- Jews writings : Flavius (He was jew and became a roman citizen). The Talmud.

There is no definitive evidence concerning Jesus, but as much as important figures we don't deny they existed.

Honestly, it is difficult to doubt of the existence of Jesus.

I personally believe that jesus lived, and was a real person, but that he had mental disabilities and, if born today, would have ended up in a bedlam.

I think he may be real, regardless of theological dispositions. I've heard of many differing accounts that may point to a Jesus figure, but obviously, nothing is conclusive. I also think that we may never know, chances are, we won't find remains (regardless of your beliefs) and if we were to find remains, how could we point it to one person?

I think he may be real, regardless of theological dispositions. I've heard of many differing accounts that may point to a Jesus figure, but obviously, nothing is conclusive. I also think that we may never know, chances are, we won't find remains (regardless of your beliefs) and if we were to find remains, how could we point it to one person?

Actually we haven't found remains from Jesus, which can be used to say Jesus didn't exist or Jesus has ressurected as christians believe it. 

There is still the Shroud of Turin, but people can legitimately wonder if it was the one used for Jesus.

No definitive evidence but firm conviction as far as I am concerned.

I personally believe that jesus lived, and was a real person, but that he had mental disabilities and, if born today, would have ended up in a bedlam.

I don't know about mental disabilities but maybe a con man. I don't think he was insane and got followers because he actually believed he was the son of a god but was convincing enough and maybe pulled off some good enough magic tricks to fool some uneducated people, which probably wouldn't have been too hard back then.

Of course Jesus was real, whether you believe in the Bible (I do) or not, you can't deny he was a real guy.

He didn't exist as the son of god if that's what you mean. People may have believed he was. But then, who wrote the Bible? Men. Not god. It didn't fall out of the sky did it?

He didn't exist as the son of god if that's what you mean. People may have believed he was. But then, who wrote the Bible? Men. Not god. It didn't fall out of the sky did it?

The gospels were written by the evangelists (St Mark, Matthew, Luke and John) whose inspiration came from the Holy Spirit.

If you want to call it a "fall out of the sky", yes it is what christians believe in then  :)

Nope Jesus Just Proves How Much  People Are Willing To Believe In Something That Doesn't Actual Exist

Nope Jesus Just Proves How Much  People Are Willing To Believe In Something That Doesn't Actual Exist

God in heaven its irritating when you type like Jaden. Unless...

But care to actually back that statement up with reasoning rather than just post b8?

God in heaven its irritating when you type like Jaden. Unless...

But care to actually back that statement up with reasoning rather than just post b8?

Jesus Is As Real As That Portal Turret On Your Profile Picture

Archived