Fps/pixel rate preferences

CrafterofGenius

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you complain when your fps drops beneath 80?

• Yes
    • No
    • I use a toaster, is that above 30fps?
  2. 2. What Pixel size is "good enough"?

• 240p
    • 360p
    • 480p
    • 720p
    • 1080p

Which FPS are you comfortable with at a minimum? Do you complain when your FPS drops below an "unreasonable threshhold"?

Is 480p enough for you or do you need 720p? 1080p? 4k?!!?!?!? 

I hear common arguments about how moronic people are for being upset when their perfect 120fps is disturbed by a stutter and goes down to 60-80, and it made me wonder; what's the common acceptable fps/pixel rate on games/videos?

Discuss your arguments on why a certain selecting is good enough and why other people are brain dead.

Inb4flamerino

1080p with no dips below 60fps.

Ideally no dips below 100fps.(Also, ideally, 4k...but I'm not dropping $500+ on a monitor when I still can't handle 4k properly in all games)

720p and/or terrible frame timings is an awful experience. 

With my current specs i can only pray to get more than 30 fps. So i'll explain things in spoiler basing on capabilities.

Which FPS are you comfortable with at a minimum?

Depends on genre. But i'll say that 30.

Do you complain when your FPS drops below an "unreasonable threshhold"?

Of course, try to play any shooter with 20 fps.

Is 480p enough for you or do you need 720p?

For streams? Again, depends on game's genre. If it's a game like hearthstone - 480 is more than ok.

Of course, if i get a better pc, 50-60 STABLE fps and 720p is the best i can dream of.

If it drops below 100 (average is 200 or so) I feel like I start to notice it, even if I don't, and it gets annoying. My screen resolution is 2560 x 1440 so if I did my math right thats a little over 1080.

If it drops below 100 (average is 200 or so) I feel like I start to notice it, even if I don't, and it gets annoying. My screen resolution is 2560 x 1440 so if I did my math right thats a little over 1080.

Unless you have a ROG Swift, or have overclocked your monitor, you won't notice a difference between 60, 100, or 200 fps -- the only thing you could technically notice is a change (i.e. fps drops). 

2560x1440 is also "a lot" over 1080. It's almost twice as many pixels. 

I get 130+ fps when playing starcraft 2 on ultra settings.

I can only really notice a difference when it goes below 80, and it isnt truly disturbing until it goes below 60.

My monitor can go up to 75hz before fucking up, so I typically try to play games at 75fps. 60fps is fine if it's demanding or if vsync is being a dick and locking it at 60.

I can only play at 720p due to shit specs, but when it becomes affordable I'm totally getting a 2K monitor.

In all, stable FPS > resolution tho

My monitor can go up to 75hz before fucking up, so I typically try to play games at 75fps. 60fps is fine if it's demanding or if vsync is being a dick and locking it at 60.

I can only play at 720p due to shit specs, but when it becomes affordable I'm totally getting a 2K monitor.

In all, stable FPS > resolution tho

4k* 

2k will never become affordable -- well...I should phrase that better, 4k will become more affordable than 2k (or only a bit more) due to 2k being produced in very limited quantities. 

As long as my games are at least 50 fps, I usually don't notice much decline in quality. I actually chose to turn TressFX on in Tomb Raider, because the hair animations were worth the 10 fps to me.

That said, even without a conscious/noticeable change, higher FPS is always better. George Weidman did a very good video about it.

My monitor is 1080p, and frankly anything lower than that looks blurry or terrible. I've played a few ps2 emulated games, as well as older titles with poor scaling, and the aliasing and blurriness is a severe distraction from the gameplay.

As a bare minimum, I would want at least 30 fps when playing any game. Resolution I honestly don't care about since I usually sacrifice it for some frames, but I honestly prefer 480p as a minimum.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, 720p60 is the ideal settings for me.

I can go all the way down to 1024x600 on Grid 2 before I notice the actual resolution decrease on my laptop.

Archived