Bad Pokemon moves and how they could be made better

Aria Heavy-Hand

OR great moves that probably need a debuff. I'm always posting something about Pokemon, aren't I?

Better being usable, competitively viable, etc.

I got really bored. Nobody's gonna look at this... yay. I'll start with a few.

Constrict - Same BP, but would lower enemy Speed drastically (like an opposite version of Cotton Guard but for Speed. I feel like it could be used to effectively shut down most non-Curse sweepers, or to assist teammates, as it would still be a weak move, to function more effectively in a Trick Room environment. Maybe?)

Rock Smash - Same BP, but guaranteed to lower enemy defense by 1 stage (sort of the same as Power Up Punch really, but can be used to assist teammates too, even if you can't use it to buff up yourself)

Absorb, Mega Drain - Absorb 100% and 75% of the damage done, respectively, boost powers up to 25 and 50, respectively (only for the sake of fairness on Absorb really, mostly thinking of Mega Drain being sort of the same move as Draining Kiss except Grass type. Could be useful, especially on... you know. Grass types.)

Knock Off - No longer doubles power on item knockoff (because let's be honest. The move would still be great even without that ridiculousness. I mean, if you knock an item off the BP of this move is 130. That's nuts. I'd also be okay with debuffing the power to 60 so Technician users could use it more effectively. In all honesty this one's just a little pet peeve of mine.)

Hyper Beam/Giga Impact/Rock Wrecker/etc. - 100% accuracy (because the moves are already bad enough without them missing occasionally, yet good enough that I feel this could help the. I use Hyper Beam as a surprise finishing move on Aurorus, and Giga Impact has some use on Slaking. Still, though, the 90% accuracy on moves with that kind of downside seems like a pointless addition.)

Smack Down - Causes Flying/Levitate Pokemon to be affected by any entry hazards they otherwise would have missed by switching in (but only once per switch in of course. Feel like this could be useful to get some bonus damage out of an otherwise weak and underused move.)

Bubble - 100% chance to lower the enemy Speed by 2 stages (maybe buff the BP too. I dunno. Or it could be a Water type variant of my idea for Constrict, but that seems pointless on such a weak move.)

Rock Tomb - Accuracy to 100% (so it could be like Bulldoze)

Electroweb - BP to 60 and accuracy to 100% (so it could be like Bulldoze. Not sure why Bulldoze is the best move of its nature. I actually quite like Bulldoze personally. Great on Krookodile IMO, slow something down and weaken it with the move then finish it off with a Moxie boost with something else. Also a way you can otherwise run Adamant nature on something of the sort.)

Water Pulse - 100% chance to confuse (So kind of like a slightly weaker Chatter, which is a great move. Would also give a reason to use it on Mega Launcher Pokemon, rather than Scald or Hydro Pump.)

Those are my some ideas. Thoughts, criticism, tell me how little you care, etc.

Kinesis - 100% accuracy, harshly lower's foe's accuracy

Not only does it currently have the exact same effect as Sand Attack, but it has a chance of missing, whereas Sand Attack doesn't.

Kinesis - 100% accuracy, harshly lower's foe's accuracy

Not only does it currently have the exact same effect as Sand Attack, but it has a chance of missing, whereas Sand Attack doesn't.

Accuracy moves are already annoying enough. But a better accuracy would be just fine IMO. The whole accuracy system really needs a revamp unfortunately. 

Oh my gurd, pl0x nerf judgement.

Ghost judgement on arceus is insanely OP.

On the other note, give harden a buff, its painful to watch my metapod level up.

Healing wish on celebi is pointless as well

Accuracy moves are already annoying enough. But a better accuracy would be just fine IMO. The whole accuracy system really needs a revamp unfortunately. 

A whole bunch of gen 1 moves need revamps. I bet everyone forgets they even exist.

Barrage, Comet Punch, Rage, Spike Cannon, Pay Day, Vice Grip, Fury Swipes, Fury Attack, Horn Attack, Dizzy Punch, Hyper Fang, Mega Punch, Razor Wind, Slam, Egg Bomb, Mega Kick, and Skull Bash.

A whole bunch of gen 1 moves need revamps. I bet everyone forgets they even exist.

Barrage, Comet Punch, Rage, Spike Cannon, Pay Day, Vice Grip, Fury Swipes, Fury Attack, Horn Attack, Dizzy Punch, Hyper Fang, Mega Punch, Razor Wind, Slam, Egg Bomb, Mega Kick, and Skull Bash.

Skull Bash isn't too bad at all with Power Herb, free Defense boost and you can instantly use a damn powerful move. But yeah, a lot of these moves, especially some of the old link ones, would definitely need revamps.

Not sure if Pay Day counts though, since that effect is only useful in-game. Not sure what you'd do with it competitively, even if you were to change the effect of it (assuming we're looking for something usable and unique).

Actually Knockoff's basepower is increased by 1.5 times (97.5) rather than 2 (130) when a Pokemon is holding an item.

Well, I feel like some abilities should be nerfed.

Parental Bond: The second attack doesn't have an accuracy check and has the chance to trigger effects (which is why Power Up Punch is always on M-Kanghaskhan,) in addition to having a chance to crit. Make the second hit also have to go through an accuracy check.

Heat Wave: Buff it to 100% accuracy. It's pretty stupid how hot air can miss.

Dynamic Punch: Buff the power to 120 or give it 70 accuracy JK, it's already good.

MatBlock: Give it priority +1. I feel like that would justify the effect. It can be countered by anything in the +2 bracket (Fake Out) or higher.

Buff Focus Blast to 80 accuracy. It'll have less than Fire Blast (110 BP, chance to burn, 85 accuracy) but be a little more reliable.

Give Ice/Grass types better defensive properties.

Improve Pidgeot's movepool. Heatwave and Hurricane are all it can do with No Guard.

Give more things Gale Wings (specifically Staraptor.) We need more Brave Bird spam. MOAR BRAVE BIRD

Knock Off is wrong, it's not x2 onto an item it's x1.5. Still, Hitting for 92.5 base power than 6.5 is still stronger than 2 crunches, the next best well-distributed physical dark move, AND they lose an item, which can vary from annoying (Leftovers) to Crippling (Eviolite)

Hyper Beam would be improved by giving it it's Generation 1 mechanic back - no recharge if it KOs an opponent.

Your Bubble suggestion would be broken in doubles.

Water Pulse at 100% would be broken. The only reason Chatter isn't broken is because Chatot is shit.

Knock Off is wrong, it's not x2 onto an item it's x1.5. Still, Hitting for 92.5 base power than 6.5 is still stronger than 2 crunches, the next best well-distributed physical dark move, AND they lose an item, which can vary from annoying (Leftovers) to Crippling (Eviolite)

Hyper Beam would be improved by giving it it's Generation 1 mechanic back - no recharge if it KOs an opponent.

Your Bubble suggestion would be broken in doubles.

Water Pulse at 100% would be broken. The only reason Chatter isn't broken is because Chatot is shit.

Speaking of broken things, that Hyper Beam sounds entirely broken on Pokemon like Aurorus, or assuming Giga Impact on something like Mega Glalie/Pinsir would have the same effect, would also be broken as they have it at much higher powers than most other Pokemon (they get STAB and Ability boosts to it).

But yeah, you're probably right on the Water Pulse/Bubble things these were mostly just ideas I mostly had off the top of my head. 

Speaking of broken things, that Hyper Beam sounds entirely broken on Pokemon like Aurorus, or assuming Giga Impact on something like Mega Glalie/Pinsir would have the same effect, would also be broken as they have it at much higher powers than most other Pokemon (they get STAB and Ability boosts to it).

But yeah, you're probably right on the Water Pulse/Bubble things these were mostly just ideas I mostly had off the top of my head. 

Here's the thing: M-Glalie is pretty bad. It can easily get OHKO'd before firing off a hyper beam. Same goes for Aurorus (4x fighting weakness). M-Pinir caan't do much with it either. It's special attack isn't well enough to make use of it, even with aerilate.  Even if they used Giga impact, it wouldn't be the best move to run.

I read this as movies first lmao

Yes, HOW CAN WE IMPROVE THE MOVIES? I BELIEVE ASH SHOULD BE REMOVED, AND BROCK BE THE MAIN PROTAGONIST. Because Brock.

Here's the thing: M-Glalie is pretty bad. It can easily get OHKO'd before firing off a hyper beam. Same goes for Aurorus (4x fighting weakness). M-Pinir caan't do much with it either. It's special attack isn't well enough to make use of it, even with aerilate.  Even if they used Giga impact, it wouldn't be the best move to run.

Don't know if you've ever run M-Pinsir, but it's quite fast and it hits SUPER hard. With the aforementioned KO cures cooldown buff, M-Pinsir would be able to fire off Flying type, 1.8x boosted (Aerilate+STAB after type change), hard hitting Giga Impact bouncing off a base 155 Attack stat. Do you have any idea, any idea at all how extremely broken that would be? Sure, NORMAL Giga Impact isn't the best thing to run, but with the suggest buff it would be HUGELY broken. Yes, maybe Aurorus wouldn't run it TOO amazingly due to low Speed, but the same thing with M-Pinsir applies to M-Glalie, albeit to a lesser extent.

Archived