Chapel Hill shooting ..

Karam

So a guy, his wife and her sister (Muslims) got shot down dead in the head in North Carolina .. mainstream media ofcourse won't say anything because they are Muslims (omg terrorists) 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/chapel-hill-shooting-three-young-muslims-gunned-down-in-north-carolina-at-their-family-home-10037734.html

So my question .. why when a so called "muslim" kills someone everyone blames the religion and when someone kills a muslim we only blame the guy ?

So a guy, his wife and her sister (Muslims) got shot down dead in the head in North Carolina .. mainstream media ofcourse won't say anything because they are Muslims (omg terrorists) 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/chapel-hill-shooting-three-young-muslims-gunned-down-in-north-carolina-at-their-family-home-10037734.html

So my question .. why when a so called "muslim" kills someone everyone blames the religion and when someone kills a muslim we only blame the guy ?

It's also interesting that the best source you could find covering an American shooting is a British paper. And this, I must add, also popped up on my BBC news app.

As someone who has a naturally-formed dislike of America in general I couldn't possibly give an unbiased view. I'll bring in my biased view when necessary.

Muslim kills people -> viewed as radical terrorism

Some guy kills muslims -> viewed as hate crime

pretty much

Because usually when muslim (extremists, not just any muslims) kill people, it is for religion and we only blame the guy in that situation because he has no beliefs to blame.

Because usually when muslim (extremists, not just any muslims) kill people, it is for religion and we only blame the guy in that situation because he has no beliefs to blame.

Regardless, if a Muslim had shot three white guys in America, even if not for religion, it'd be all over the news.

Regardless, if a Muslim had shot three white guys in America, even if not for religion, it'd be all over the news.

I won't deny that, American media is horrible like that

not Panthers fans, that only leaves a few dozen of us left!

because mainstream American media tries to stay away from "offending" people by portraying hate crimes the other way around

You can blame all of the xenophobia propaganda that occurred after 9/11 in Americia, especially spewing from the mainstream media and the Bush Administration. (MSNBC used to actually be quite conservative during the bush years.)

To be quite surprised, the shooter is actually an atheist. (Shocker, eh?) Fox News would have a field day with this towards atheists, but then they have to defend muslims. I probably see Rachel Maddow or probably Chris Hayes picking this story up tonight, but not any of the daytime mainstream shows.

And fun fact, since I'm a news junkie: There are more right-wing terrorist attacks than Islamic-related terrorist attacks since 9/11 in America.

Also, local and best news source: http://www.wral.com/chapel-hill-police-parking-dispute-may-have-led-to-triple-shooting/14438074/

To be quite surprised, the shooter is actually an atheist. (Shocker, eh?) Fox News would have a field day with this towards atheists, but then they have to defend muslims. I probably see Rachel Maddow or probably Chris Hayes picking this story up tonight, but not any of the daytime mainstream shows.

not remotely surprised that the shooter is an atheist, i'm surprised this hasn't happened more often (to my knowledge, thus far) given America's tendency to produce disaffected young white male lone gunmen. I'm thinking disaffected white young male and I'm thinking that at this point, perhaps they're finding homes in online communities, perhaps they're following a model, a model which teaches them to hate women in a particular way, to hate religion in a paranoid and irrational way. perhaps they're bronies, redditors, 4chan users. i've seen enough shit on /r9k/ to believe that there will be a lot more stuff like this.

maybe i'm going too far.

oh, and i'm not surprised that when faced with the shooters facebook post about hating religious people and the fact that he chose 3 muslims in islamic clothing (correct term?), the cops line so far is that it was probably a parking dispute. i'm also not surprised he's been taken into custody and not shot in the back, shot without warning, choked to death, etc etc as would have happened had he been black.

not remotely surprised that the shooter is an atheist, i'm surprised this hasn't happened more often (to my knowledge, thus far) given America's tendency to produce disaffected young white male lone gunmen. I'm thinking disaffected white young male and I'm thinking that at this point, perhaps they're finding homes in online communities, perhaps they're following a model, a model which teaches them to hate women in a particular way, to hate religion in a paranoid and irrational way. perhaps they're bronies, redditors, 4chan users. i've seen enough shit on /r9k/ to believe that there will be a lot more stuff like this.

maybe i'm going too far.

oh, and i'm not surprised that when faced with the shooters facebook post about hating religious people and the fact that he chose 3 muslims in islamic clothing (correct term?), the cops line so far is that it was probably a parking dispute. i'm also not surprised he's been taken into custody and not shot in the back, shot without warning, choked to death, etc etc as would have happened had he been black.

I was actually somewhat shocked when it happened, but I shouldn't been. There are radicals with all religions and there are actual websites for this type of behavior now. Some of the website names you've mentioned resembles where I've found some of these hateful people before. I don't check reddit, but I've mainly seem them hanging around on the odd and bizarre pages on Tumblr or on the political or random pages on 4chan. I'm shocked there isn't more of this shit, especially with the shit that spews out of these discussion threads.

And no, you're not going too far. You're about spot-on with the problem, actually.

And I'm an atheist myself and I hate the Islamic and Christianity fundamentalism, but I respect the moderates and the ones that respect every other person's religion. If it takes someone to get easily triggered over a parking dispute to put bullets in someone's head, then we have a major society issue. A society issue that needs to be address or taken cared of immediately, but it might be too late. Several years late too.

I prefer to keep racial issues out of this, but I do agree the cops should've beaten the shit out of that asshole for what he did.

I see some rumblings going on...  so i just want to nip this one in the bud and point out that the funny thing is you can't blame atheism for this because there's no belief structure in atheism to blame.  So you can try to blame atheism all you want, but you can't point to any scriptures or doctrines or beliefs because atheism doesn't actually have any.  At the very least it's an absence of belief in a god or gods; some people do take it farther than that, but really that's all it is at the very minimum.  So you're really kinda stuck if you want to go after atheism since everyone who is atheist is ultimately an individual with their own separate opinions and philosophies that have nothing at all to do with any kind of required common central core or belief structure.  This is in contrast to religions which do have those things.  Atheism isn't a religion, despite what some intellectually dishonest people assert.

Anyway, now that I got that out of the way...  it's a fucking disgrace what happened.  There's no reason to go and gun down 3 family members in their own home.  It doesn't make any sense.  From what i can tell they were fairly normal people and certainly could not have deserved to be shot in the head in their own home.  I'll be interested in just exactly what motivated the guy; there's probably more to the story than what we've been told so far.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the guy was probably crazy.  That much seems obvious.  I guess there's not really much else to say for now.  Maybe he'll make a statement.  Who knows.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

edit: On closer examination of the article, it hasn't yet been established that the guy is guilty yet.  He was arrested on suspicion and then formally charged.  He may have done it, he may not.  Obviously the police must think they have the right guy if they charged him.  I just thought that should be pointed out.  I didn't notice this detail earlier because I only skimmed through the article before replying (hey, don't judge me; more than half of you probably didn't even read it at all judging from my experiences on these forums). 

-snip-

Correct.

Please always confuse atheism and anti-religion... ism, and it, gets my goat.

However I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts on the media coverage side of the issue.

i'm not blaming atheism. i'm an atheist and i am 100% in agreement that there is no belief structure inherent in not believing. i'm blaming a type of libertarian, neo-liberal, racist, sexist, religionist(?) generally anti-white, almost exclusively white male culture which holds atheism as one of its central tenets. it's linked to the euphoric stereotype which is made fun of in many places but it goes deeper and further and is pretty visible in a lot of nerd/internet spaces, most notably 4chan but also elsewhere.

i feel that the need to identify as atheist, the need to identify in opposition to what feels like the dominant culture which "oppresses" you, can lead people (my 14 year old self included) to a place in which religion in any form is actively hated and demeaned, and believers are dehumanised. this obviously doesn't necessarily lead to violence, it doesn't lead necessarily to anything, but it enables and encourages to some degree the harrassment, degradation and ultimately the """cleansing""" (to borrow the phrase) of religious belief.

i'm not blaming atheism. i'm an atheist and i am 100% in agreement that there is no belief structure inherent in not believing. i'm blaming a type of libertarian, neo-liberal, racist, sexist, religionist(?) generally anti-white, almost exclusively white male culture which holds atheism as one of its central tenets. it's linked to the euphoric stereotype which is made fun of in many places but it goes deeper and further and is pretty visible in a lot of nerd/internet spaces, most notably 4chan but also elsewhere.

i feel that the need to identify as atheist, the need to identify in opposition to what feels like the dominant culture which "oppresses" you, can lead people (my 14 year old self included) to a place in which religion in any form is actively hated and demeaned, and believers are dehumanised. this obviously doesn't necessarily lead to violence, it doesn't lead necessarily to anything, but it enables and encourages to some degree the harrassment, degradation and ultimately the """cleansing""" (to borrow the phrase) of religious belief.

From the interview of the father I've seen on Chris Hayes' All-In show, the victim's father said that his daughters approached him about that specific neighbor and said the neighbor hated them for their religion and how they looked. A religious hate crime may have occurred, but that's why we need to let the investigation solve that speculation for us.

Again, as I mentioned before about 4chan and such, these websites have been spurring this shit for a long time. Shit that has been causing society issues and it might take a long while to fix these issues, especially the propaganda that gets spread on extremist websites that makes people radical. Hence, why some hate groups (like the KKK or Neo Nazis) are still around and/or forming new groups to spread hate across the word. Groups that uses religious or political views to assert their dominance over another group of people, enslave them, degrade them, and 'cleanse them' from their beliefs or from this world.

Saddest thing is... in 2010~2012, Christians used their money and resources to indoctrinate Ugandan lawmakers to pay the most Draconian law that discriminates and imprisons homosexuals for just being a homosexual. For just even a minor offense in some decent civilization, it would be the life or death penalty for that person. All because Christians lost the fight against the LGBT Community in the United States and pushing their propaganda elsewhere.

I see some rumblings going on...  so i just want to nip this one in the bud and point out that the funny thing is you can't blame atheism for this because there's no belief structure in atheism to blame.  So you can try to blame atheism all you want, but you can't point to any scriptures or doctrines or beliefs because atheism doesn't actually have any.  At the very least it's an absence of belief in a god or gods; some people do take it farther than that, but really that's all it is at the very minimum.  So you're really kinda stuck if you want to go after atheism since everyone who is atheist is ultimately an individual with their own separate opinions and philosophies that have nothing at all to do with any kind of required common central core or belief structure.  This is in contrast to religions which do have those things.  Atheism isn't a religion, despite what some intellectually dishonest people assert.

Anyway, now that I got that out of the way...  it's a fucking disgrace what happened.  There's no reason to go and gun down 3 family members in their own home.  It doesn't make any sense.  From what i can tell they were fairly normal people and certainly could not have deserved to be shot in the head in their own home.  I'll be interested in just exactly what motivated the guy; there's probably more to the story than what we've been told so far.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the guy was probably crazy.  That much seems obvious.  I guess there's not really much else to say for now.  Maybe he'll make a statement.  Who knows.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

edit: On closer examination of the article, it hasn't yet been established that the guy is guilty yet.  He was arrested on suspicion and then formally charged.  He may have done it, he may not.  Obviously the police must think they have the right guy if they charged him.  I just thought that should be pointed out.  I didn't notice this detail earlier because I only skimmed through the article before replying (hey, don't judge me; more than half of you probably didn't even read it at all judging from my experiences on these forums). 

Yet, lawyers can easily twist and turn atheism into a religious view and make it a hate crime against someone. While many atheist would love to deny there is a lack of a religion, there is still a religious viewpoint (that no religion exists) and can still be used in hate crimes for religion discrimination.

The three were executed through their skulls and something must have happened at the scene. He probably did snap and probably went ape-shit crazy. He probably went mental. There had to be some form of a motive that made him go over the edge, but who fucking know at this point?

And I actually dug deeper into the story, once the whole "religious discrimination" cards were flying off the handle. I've seen this happen many times in the past few months with the "racial discrimination" cards being thrown, so that's why I dug deeper into the story and researched the facts for myself. I've seen the Facebook postings and it's just ordinary to someone that has an obsession with religion, trying to say he's "mentally deranged." I've seen where people are making a huge deal over the gun and I just rolled my eyes over how obsessed people were to pull "gun control" card over that.

People are politicizing this story too damn hard and it makes me want to smack the shit out of a few certain people.

Muslim kills people -> viewed as radical terrorism

Some guy kills muslims -> viewed as hate crime

pretty much

Here's the thing though;

American Media (especially CNN) is portraying it right now (from my last checking) as a dispute over a parking space. They aren't even HINTING at a hate crime from this. Guy's going to get jail time (hopefully) anyway, but American Media is so fucking quick to sugarcoat something. EXCEPT when it's a white person getting shot.

And THIS is another case of white people and their lawyers trying to get the lowest punishment possible. His wife describes him as someone who wouldn't kill because of someone's faith, and his lawyer is spouting off (again, if we haven't heard this 100 times before) that mental illness plays a role.

But that shouldn't matter, of course, because murder is murder, no matter the premise, the motive, the religion, anything.

American Media is so fucking quick to sugarcoat something. EXCEPT when it's a white person getting shot.

I don't know how anyone can say this when there's been a huge amount of media coverage over the last couple of years dealing with black people getting shot by the police.  It's been one story after another, to the point that riots and demonstrations have taken place in multiple cities across the country, arguably spurred on by said media coverage.  I've spoken to a few people from outside the country who think it's ridiculous because they don't even see them as racial crimes.  They think that the U.S. media is just making a big deal out of it for no reason; which kinda blows my mind to be honest.  There's a view out there - and I'm not saying it's right or wrong - that race related problems in the US are misrepresented and exacerbated by news media.  I'm sure that it must happen to some extent but I'm not sure if I entirely agree or not.  I'm not omniscient, so it's hard for me to know.

murder is murder, no matter the premise, the motive, the religion, anything.

Too fucking right, m8.  I can agree with this much at least.  Whatever your reasoning is, murder is murder.  I don't think that the reason for murder should matter in the sentencing UNLESS it was something completely insane like "he took my pen", because that shows what a fucking unstable whack-job someone is.

Anyway, I am waiting to see what the guy's plea will be.  Will he plead guilty, not guilty, or will he plea insanity?  BTW, I read a second article where it says he actually turned himself in.  Why he did this is unclear to me.  Does this mean he's guilty, or does it simply mean that he knew he'd be a suspect and wanted to avoid being arrested in public?

source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/chapel-hill-shooting-craig-stephen-hicks-condemned-all-religions-on-facebook-prior-to-muslim-massmurder-arrest-10038126.html

"Police said 46-year-old Craig Stephen Hicks handed himself in to officers in Chapel Hill overnight"

Too fucking right, m8.  I can agree with this much at least.  Whatever your reasoning is, murder is murder.  I don't think that the reason for murder should matter in the sentencing UNLESS it was something completely insane like "he took my pen", because that shows what a fucking unstable whack-job someone is.

Current reason for murder, at least according to his defence lawyer, is, ''they were noisy and parked in my spot''.

Archived