Sports illustrated "Plus-size" model.

Rambro

Renowned magazine "Sports illustrated", commonly cited for their Swimsuit magazines, has recently caused a stir by including a "Plus-size" model in their magazine. However, it was not adding the model themselves that caused the controversy, it was the implication of the words "Plus-size".

The girl in question labeled is Robyn Lawley, and heres a link to a picture where she was supposedly labeled as such:

https://pmchollywoodlife.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/robyn-lawley-sports-illustrated-plus-size-model-lead.jpg?w=600

While some have argued that picture is the one labeled, others have said the actual model appears in an advertisement, and that her name is Ashley Graham. Once again, here's a link to a picture for comparison: http://static.stylosophy.it/625X0/www/stylosophy/it/img/Ashley-Graham-per-Sports-Illustrated.jpg

It's hard to tell the entire story because an internet search landed equal results for both of the models. I may also note that while Ashley appeared in an advertisement, Robin appeared in an actual "swimsuit model" or whatever you want to call it.

So, what are your opinions on this little controversy thats broken out? Has SI intentionally caused this mix up (as I pointed out above) to gain attention or are these the legitimate views of the company? Also, which model is being labeled as Plus-size, Ashley, Robin, or both (even though it's fairly easy to tell)?

I'll add more as I learn more on the issue.

It's called being overweight.  It's a medically defined term, and from the looks of it, Ashley qualifies.  In layman's terms, she is fat. Robyn doesn't appear to be overweight.  So that's weird.

I could maybe see this Ashley lady as being branded plus-sized, but either one is a stretch.

Can only echo this, but in general, the whole plus-size thing is a bit of a strechy term to me

In the modeling world, the second one could definitely be considered plus size, maybe SI considers the first one "plus sized" by their model standards

Too distracted by models to care

The first one definitely isn't plus-size. The second one, I can see it.

Also at the top of this page I got a "Curves In Bikinis" ad wtf go away

1st of all, I don't think it matters what you call these ladies, they both look hot.

2nd of all, the ad is for a swimsuit shopping site, it has nothing to do with SI, the only thing connecting SI with this is that the site took out ad space in SI and the ad in that ad space had a plus size model, it's not like the model is part of any SI swimsuit edition shoot.

realistically the problem isn't how much either of them weigh it's the relentless objectification of women's bodies and the ways in which this leads to sexual harrassment, rape, body policing and general discrimination. but hey, congrats sports illustrated. you featured someone who is larger than other models, guess we better bow to your respect for women

Coolrocks, I really don't want to get into this debate, but I'll put my two-cents forward. I am pretty positive that most men who view SI are not turned into these evil rape predators. The same applies to a woman who looks at a magazine that has the sole purpose of featuring shirtless men with six-packs, they don't instantly become evil rapists. I don't see the issue with the magazine. Many men like slim women in bikinis, that just appears to be a general fact. SI capitalizes on that fact. If you really want to go after a magazine that "objectifies" women, I suggest going after something like Maxim first, before you try to argue that SI is sexist.

Archived