Is Steam Support as useless as I think?

Winter Scout

I've been waiting 1 whole month for steam support to even actually respond to my email because my friend

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bobislove

Who got hijacked by a phisher and he locked his account. I helped him fill out all the proof of ownership and Steam support hasn't even responded other than the copy-paste message below.

========= Please enter your reply ABOVE this line =========

Hello,

Thank you for adding a message to your question. We will respond to your message by email.

Anytime you wish you can view your question online:
| Not displaying link |

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your question may already be answered in our knowledgebase:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_search.php?searchwords=

As an alternate resource, please check Steam Discussions as other users may have resolved this issue:
http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/

If anyone can help or steam support useless.

Not Just You Steam Support Is Worthless I Got My Items Hijacked Once Filed A Report And They Haven't Done Shit In 3 Months Steam Support Is Terrible

I think SS stopped caring. That's why they made email verification for trades;

If you disable and fuck up, they're not held responsible

If you enable and fuck up, they're still not held responsible as you had to verify an email to send the trade

Win-win for them, Fuck all for us

If you enable and fuck up, they're still not held responsible as you had to verify an email to send the trade

Pretty much this. If he disabled email verification for trading, he's 100% responsible for the safety of his items then. Don't even expect a reply if that's the case.

This. 

u so smart o.o

no homo!

Can't help it. Steam has so many users which equates to a shit-ton of traffic. There's so much backlog, and tons of complaints and support tickets coming in that steam support has just said "fuck it" and given up. Unless they outsource their customer support to India (which is unlikely knowing valve, they love being tight-knit and air-proof), we're gonna suffer for a long time.

This email confirmation is the best thing Valve has implemented to stop the storm of generic "im an idiot, i gave my items away to a scammer/phisher, gib me hets nao!1" tickets. It lets them to concentrate on actually related to steam and/or their games feedback. And let me remind you that SS doesn't have thousands of workers that respond to tickets 24/7.

This may sound rude, but it won't stop being true: If you got scammed/phished - it's only your fault. Period.

And you're double dumb for letting scammers/hijackers hack your email account.

This may sound rude, but it won't stop being true: If you got scammed/phished - it's only your fault. Period.

And you're double dumb for letting scammers/hijackers hack your email account.

What about people like AlexfromSecurity. He was hijacked completely outside of his own fault. I agree that ~99% of the hijacked people were doing something wrong themselves but not all did

What about people like AlexfromSecurity. He was hijacked completely outside of his own fault. I agree that ~99% of the hijacked people were doing something wrong themselves but not all did

Who is he?

Describe pl0x.

Who is he?

Describe pl0x.

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/user/146-alex-from-security/ the one who made my profile picture

Some malware got sent to him via a picturepicture in a very well hidden way. An "invisible" additional download which wouldn't show up unless you were really looking for it (note: he is/was a very good sfm artist and made/viewed loads of pictures per day).

That installed teamviewer on his pc which the hijacker used to control his pc whilst he was away and he traded Alex's items to himself.

I may have missed something/made an error as it happened over a year back but steam support has been a total dick to him as technically he traded the items from his own pc and as such they wouldn't restore anything.

I feel this is 100% not his fault and it is one of the most advanced scamming techniques I have ever seen used.

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/user/146-alex-from-security/ the one who made my profile picture

Some malware got sent to him via a picturepicture in a very well hidden way. An "invisible" additional download which wouldn't show up unless you were really looking for it (note: he is/was a very good sfm artist and made/viewed loads of pictures per day).

That installed teamviewer on his pc which the hijacker used to control his pc whilst he was away and he traded Alex's items to himself.

I may have missed something/made an error as it happened over a year back but steam support has been a total dick to him as technically he traded the items from his own pc and as such they wouldn't restore anything.

I feel this is 100% not his fault and it is one of the most advanced scamming techniques I have ever seen used.

If he hadn't downloaded that picture, he wouldn't have been phished. Ez logic.

Look closer to that people on the internets sent you, it's just basic knowledge. Also, his antivirus should've detected such things, especially a silent download from a file he didn't execute.

Though I do agree that scanning and thoroughly analyzing every link you get may seem paranoic.

And it's not just "advanced" technique. You see a lot of obvious ones just because there are a lot of, eh, I can't call them "people", that fall for that.

If you feel yourself bulletproof and go yolo just because you would never click that steancumunmety.com phish link... Don't.

If he hadn't downloaded that picture, he wouldn't have been phished. Ez logic.

Look closer to that people on the internets sent you, it's just basic knowledge. Also, his antivirus should've detected such things, especially a silent download from a file he didn't execute.

Though I do agree that scanning and thoroughly analyzing every link you get may seem paranoic.

And it's not just "advanced" technique. You see a lot of obvious ones just because there are a lot of, eh, I can't call them "people", that fall for that.

If you feel yourself bulletproof and go yolo just because you would never click that steancumunmety.com phish link... Don't.

It was somebody he knew, not just a random guy. I don't check any of the links that get posted here. not a phish link. I'd click any such linked posted by a regular if I was interested.

And if you compare it to scamcummunity links or "check this awesome picture" links it's very advanced

It was somebody he knew, not just a random guy. I don't check any of the links that get posted here. not a phish link. I'd click any such linked posted by a regular if I was interested.

And if you compare it to scamcummunity links or "check this awesome picture" links it's very advanced

I've seen all those "klik da pik" links and haven't found anything "advanced" in them. Yes, maybe a very small difference in letters or a common mispronunciation like gyazo and gayzo (kek) or puush and push/puuush or different domains. It's still a different site.

edit. I might just check if popular image hosting allow downloading pictures that have some "built-in" software or data.

edit2. My solution doesn't work with imgur at least, and I would be surprised if it actually did work - it's very easy to detect and fix. I don't wanna check other sites tho, since there's only one good image hosting, heh.

I've seen all those "klik da pik" links and haven't found anything "advanced" in them. Yes, maybe a very small difference in letters or a common mispronunciation like gyazo and gayzo (kek) or puush and push/puuush or different domains. It's still a different site.

edit. I might just check if popular image hosting allow downloading pictures that have some "built-in" software or data.

edit2. My solution doesn't work with imgur at least, and I would be surprised if it actually did work - it's very easy to detect and fix. I don't wanna check other sites tho, since there's only one good image hosting, heh.

IIRC it wasn't a picture, but something made in sfm- like a project, I would assume? I've never used SFM.

Archived