New Phone Help

funkle

I'm sure there have been a million threads on this (I've skimmed through some), but I figure it can't hurt. But yeah, I'm looking to buy a new phone this weekend and I honestly don't know what to get. Been skimming through the Verizon and AT&T sites and all for just general options. Some of you guys seem to know of better options though. Personally, I'm pretty behind when it comes to phones and all (been using a slide one for the past few years and I need to upgrade badly lol).

Looking for:

- Cheap, but decent quality. I won't mind paying a little more for something with good quality. 

- In college, so something durable lol

- I'll probably use it mostly for web browsing, texting (group chats and such), snapchat, social media stuff, and just some other misc apps.

- If you guys know of any good plans to go with the phone then feel free to mention it.

- Kinda want to stay away from Windows phones.

- Not going to wait on a phone to release sometime this year. I'm buying sometime soon so I won't be waiting very long.

Thanks for the help :)

I'm sure there have been a million threads on this (I've skimmed through some), but I figure it can't hurt. But yeah, I'm looking to buy a new phone this weekend and I honestly don't know what to get. Been skimming through the Verizon and AT&T sites and all for just general options. Some of you guys seem to know of better options though. Personally, I'm pretty behind when it comes to phones and all (been using a slide one for the past few years and I need to upgrade badly lol).

Looking for:

- Cheap, but decent quality. I won't mind paying a little more for something with good quality. 

- I'll probably use it mostly for web browsing, texting (group chats and such), snapchat, social media stuff, and just some other misc apps.

- If you guys know of any good plans to go with the phone then feel free to mention it.

- Not going to wait on a phone to release sometime this year. I'm buying sometime soon so I won't be waiting very long.

One plus one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One Plus One ($350), and any cheap High Data Plan for your area. I don't know what you're using now, but Cricket is very cheap for what you get ($40 for Unlimited everything/1 GB High Speed Data then throttled down to 128 Kbps).

If you go with a contract, you can buy a phone for $50/100, but then you're locked into having the same phone for 2 years as well as paying insanely high prices. Honestly if it's a single person plan, and you don't use calling much. I'd suggest T-Mobile's Prepaid $30 Unlimited Data/Text Plan w/ 100 Mins. The High Speed Data is 5GB, which is quite a lot and then after that throttled down to I believe 128 Kbps. Cellular plans are like real estate, it's all about location location location (not to mention cost/benefit analysis).

Looking for:

I personally would recommend the Nexus 5 or 6. (Don't know much about the 6 so I'm gonna list the points for the 5)

- Extremely cheap for compared to some of the phones around today (200 USD around that)

- Hardy and able to with stand most drops with only scuffing (If you do loose its cheap to replace)

- Decent processor even though its old it still handles with the new ones with a great camera

- Don't really know any plans as I live in Aus

- Runs latest stock android

- Already can choose the 6 if you want :P

Doubt you will choose the nexus but the more options you get given the more it will be suited to you.

One Plus One ($350), and any cheap High Data Plan for your area. I don't know what you're using now, but Cricket is very cheap for what you get ($40 for Unlimited everything/1 GB High Speed Data then throttled down to 128 Kbps).

If you go with a contract, you can buy a phone for $50/100, but then you're locked into having the same phone for 2 years as well as paying insanely high prices. Honestly if it's a single person plan, and you don't use calling much. I'd suggest T-Mobile's Prepaid $30 Unlimited Data/Text Plan w/ 100 Mins. The High Speed Data is 5GB, which is quite a lot and then after that throttled down to I believe 128 Kbps. Cellular plans are like real estate, it's all about location location location (not to mention cost/benefit analysis).

I've looked into the One Plus One and I can say I'm not really interested. It seems like there are so many other options for cheaper that are almost identical. As for plans, most everything works here in New Jersey. But I'll honestly probably end up with either Verizon or AT&T.

moto g

Searched it because of the thread and it's probably one of my top choices now lol.

At everyone who is saying 1+1 please give a recommendation which is readily available...

Imo you should wait a month before buying anything as this years flagships are coming out very soon which will also make 2014 flagships drop in price

LG G2/G3

From what I know of the G2 based on my experience using it, it focuses a lot on multitasking capabilities, with features like "QSlide" which puts your app in a windowed view on your screen, so you can surf facebook with a whatsapp window at the side to type quick replies.

When you receive messages, the message will pop out from the top left of the screen and you can reply immediately from there. It saves you the trouble of opening your messaging app especially if it's a Yes/No question.

As for durability, the battery can't be removed so I'd guess it's pretty durable since it can't break open, but just slap on a phone case to be safe.

LG G2/G3

From what I know of the G2 based on my experience using it, it focuses a lot on multitasking capabilities, with features like "QSlide" which puts your app in a windowed view on your screen, so you can surf facebook with a whatsapp window at the side to type quick replies.

When you receive messages, the message will pop out from the top left of the screen and you can reply immediately from there. It saves you the trouble of opening your messaging app especially if it's a Yes/No question.

As for durability, the battery can't be removed so I'd guess it's pretty durable since it can't break open, but just slap on a phone case to be safe.

LG G2 isn't a bad option, but the Nexus 5 is based off of it, and is probably cheaper (though I saw G2s selling for $200 recently)

Right now I'm really leaning towards a Samsung Galaxy S5 and the LG G3. I would look into Nexus more, but the fact that it's not on Verizon and it's about 300 dollars from what I see kinda drives me away from it. The LG looks to be about 100 and the S5 is about 200. 

Archived