Syria

F  CHARLIE

Many of you know what has been happening in Syria but you may not have heard the most recent news. In an act of desperation, the anti-Assad forces have allowed Alqaeda in to fight on thier side seeing as no one else would come and help. The West must now become engaged and similtanously help the oposition as well as removing Alqaeda feom the country.

Wasn't Al-Qeada involved for longer? I'm pretty sure 3 boys from my city (1 from my school) went to Syria to fight for Al-Qeada and 2 of them died.

The amount I care about things that don't effect me is minimal.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this one. ;~;

Wasn't Al-Qeada involved for longer? I'm pretty sure 3 boys from my city (1 from my school) went to Syria to fight for Al-Qeada and 2 of them died.

I think you are right but it is recently confirmed and new to most people here.

The amount I care about things that don't effect me is minimal.

It does.

Regardless of whether Assad is overthrown or not, Alqaeda has found a new base of operations. They have already began taking control of the oposition in part. In the end winning the war against Assad is less important to Alqaeda than having a new base from which to draw recruits and gather resources.

The new resources will allow them to execute thier larger goals of international terroriizm. Eventually the West will have to enter Syria to remove the threat but by then nation will have been ravaged by conflict between Hezbollah, now working for Assad, and Alqaeda. It will be much more costly and be a far less succesfull rebuilding process than if the West had acted two months ago or even now. So yes, these things effect everyone.

Let me explain myself in form of gifs about caring.

7BAlUdd.gif

xq3HlyY.gif

THZ3Gva.gif

That is sad and pathetic.

I cared what happened over there (in the Middle East as a whole) when my brother was in firefights day in and day out. But since then, he and my friends have returned and now its just one big blur together of rebels fighting militants and I stopped caring. Part of me says let em destroy one another and in the end they will see it was pointless loss of life. The other says help them fight oppression, but that would involve us in an already illegitimate war.

• 1 month later...

How do all of you feel about the proposed strike in order to limit/dismantle Assad's ability to use chemical weapons in the wake of his most recent usage? Before you respond, consider this, chemical weapons have been internationally banned since 1899. There use in WW1 solidified the need for this ban. Even Hitler did not chemical weapons and none were used on the battlefield in WW2.

How do all of you feel about the proposed strike in order to limit/dismantle Assad's ability to use chemical weapons in the wake of his most recent usage? Before you respond, consider this, chemical weapons have been internationally banned since 1899. There use in WW1 solidified the need for this ban. Even Hitler did not chemical weapons and none were used on the battlefield in WW2.

"Even Hitler did not chemical weapons"

concentration camps beg to differ.

although what you said about the battlefield is correct. 

7BAlUdd.gif

xq3HlyY.gif

THZ3Gva.gif

7BAlUdd.gif

xq3HlyY.gif

THZ3Gva.gif

Adam Scott u hotty 

EDIT: fuc i effed up. could a mod delete this please?

I dunno, I've never personally been the type of person who can ignore or be apathetic about conflicts of this scale.  Glad to see I'm not the only one like that.

My only concern is whether or not the US should be involved.  On one hand, our "valiant leader" told the world we'd intervene for a while now, so if we back down (which is looking likely to happen) we look like chickenshits.  And, people are dying.  On the other, this is like Iraq 4.0; and whether we enter the war or not, people will die anyways.

So I'm split.  If the US wanted to mend things they should have joined the conflict 2 years ago, not now.

America should be using the money for America rather than using it to fund another war we don't need.

Stop sounding so much like a business man and less like a politician. 

Besides, i think its a good idea to arm the rebels; i mean it wouldn't be fair if, 5-10 years down the road, they had to fight us without weapons. 

Yay. It's now clear that the U.S.A. has no proof Assad did the chemical attack, which isn't surprising at all. Assad wouldn't benefit from the attack, he'd be attacked foreign nations and most likely killed. The rebels had so much to gain from a chemical attack. The man they're fighting would be overthrown, and they would get the power. I hope America doesn't intervene. Not because I like Assad, I really dislike him and he's a bastard. Sadly the rebels are worse. So leaving him saves money, people and a lot of trouble. Let them fight out themselves. I feel bad for the normal Syrian, but the only thing "we" can do is support the refugees and build good camps.

We should NOT give the rebels weapons, as we don't know who we are giving them to. The CIA already once gave weapons to a certain man called Osama Bin Laden to fight the Russians. That didn't really go well.

Until the Jihadists are gone from the rebel army, no support for the rebels

We should NOT give the rebels weapons, as we don't know who we are giving them to. The CIA already once gave weapons to a certain man called Osama Bin Laden to fight the Russians. That didn't really go well.

Thats actually what i was referencing, albeit not very clearly.

Damn internet...Y U NO HAVE SARACASM TEXT.

Thats actually what i was referencing, albeit not very clearly.

Damn me why don't I know the difference between serious (gen. discuss +pol/rel/science) and the rest of the forums.

ftfy

I know I should always expect sarcasm on the internet, you just didn't seem like the person to do it, and certainly not here

I'm sarcastic like 95% of the time :S 

/not sarcasm

I am sarcastic 99.95% of the time, just stay serious here and in gen. discussion. Now back to topic: Obama is pussying out of his "red line" and "ultimatum" now that it has become clear he has no proof. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/09/john-kerry-syria_n_3892719.html but he's canceling that already, but only got the Dutch article (of which I couldn't find the source, but uhm for chrome auto-translate http://www.nu.nl/buitenland/3570758/ultimatum-syrisch-regime-was-niet-letterlijk.html . Also Assad is now threatening America. Sigh, will he ever learn? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/09/assad-interview-charlie-rose_n_3893510.html

Archived