New Currency?

ItsPieTime

I'm no way saying that this is a good idea but i was thinking about what would happen if people started using tokens as a form of currency instead of metal. The way I see it there's not a huge supply of them, they are technically worth about a scrap, and now that idling is being delt with they won't as be flooded as metal. Now I'm no expert in economics but i thought it was interesting and I wanted to know what the rest of you thought about it.

Tour of Duty Tickets would be a better currency. They're currently ~2.33 ref, the price of a key in 2011.

Tour of Duty Tickets would be a better currency. They're currently ~2.33 ref, the price of a key in 2011.

good old 2011

What would be the point of using a token instead of a scrap. Seems like a pointless change especially since scrap is tied to the greater currency of metal. It would really only effect people trading small things such as cheap stranges no one wants or other stuff worth less than a refined. Also you cannot simply 'make' something a currency. It has to be able to hold the same relative value among almost all traders and be accepted as a form of payment. That's why people are willing to trade TVs, Cars, Houses, etc all for pieces of paper that have no other purpose then to be 'traded' again for something else.

i actually thing the tour of duty should be a currency it's used more regularly than keys and is "cheaper", Can be like the new "hat" back in the day when 2 craft hats = 1 key

i actually thing the tour of duty should be a currency it's used more regularly than keys and is "cheaper", Can be like the new "hat" back in the day when 2 craft hats = 1 key

Its a commonly traded item as well, though the demand for them means they now sell easily for 2.44. 

There are no currencies anymore, other than refined.  Keys, Buds and Bills are commodities.  They have variable market prices just like tickets, BMOCs, name tags, etc.

There are no currencies anymore, other than refined.  Keys, Buds and Bills are commodities.  They have variable market prices just like tickets, BMOCs, name tags, etc.

No currency in real life or in TF2 has a set value. The exchange ratios between countries' currencies is ever-changing.

Example:

With the Euro currently being more 'expensive' than the US Dollar, in theory that attracts more Europeans to invest in the US because of the cheaper goods that can be purchased here which is great for the tourism industry. Thus economy continues to grow and strengthen increasing the value of the US Dollar to the Euro and in-turn causing it to be more 'expensive' leading more US citizens to travel to Europe and spend their money there.

Fix exchange rates are rare in the real world and what we are used to seeing is a floating exchange rate which is better for an economy as a whole. Stating that the variable price of keys and buds does not make them a currency is invalid.

No currency in real life or in TF2 has a set value. The exchange ratios between countries' currencies is ever-changing.

Fix exchange rates are rare in the real world and what we are used to seeing is a floating exchange rate which is better for an economy as a whole. Stating that the variable price of keys and buds does not make them a currency is invalid.

I was thinking more in terms of a national economy than a global one.  There is a fixed exchange rate between quarters and dollar bills.  The same concept applied to Metal -> Keys -> Bills for a long time.

I was thinking more in terms of a national economy than a global one.  There is a fixed exchange rate between quarters and dollar bills.  The same concept applied to Metal -> Keys -> Bills for a long time.

Except that only truly existed on a webpage. People were still easily able to buy refined for a penny less and sell for a penny more, they able to buy keys for a scrap less and sell for a scrap more, buy Bill's Hats for a refined less and sell for a refined more. It wasn't truly fixed unless you're transfixed with the idea that spreadsheet had to be the end-all price, yet do you see any quicksellers in the real world having any luck paying $19 for a $20 bill? Buying quarters for 24 cents? TF2 never had a fixed exchange rate.

Except that only truly existed on a webpage. People were still easily able to buy refined for a penny less and sell for a penny more, they able to buy keys for a scrap less and sell for a scrap more, buy Bill's Hats for a refined less and sell for a refined more. It wasn't truly fixed unless you're transfixed with the idea that spreadsheet had to be the end-all price, yet do you see any quicksellers in the real world having any luck paying $19 for a $20 bill? Buying quarters for 24 cents? TF2 never had a fixed exchange rate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buying ALL $1 bills for 95 cents

NO DUPES!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

!DO NOT OFFER HIGHER! PRICE IS FIRM!

Dollar bills bought: 1

Money in stock: $4.56

People who didn't read: 4

Mail me: 1234 Brickwood Lane, Longstocking, New York, 14529

1. I have seen in the past, when cash was more common, some places would charge a small fee to break bills. I think its illigel tho.

2. Trade.tf shows that on actual item for currency trades, people will go with generally accepted rates. Those trades would out number the people doing a scrap below or above on currencies.

1. I have seen in the past, when cash was more common, some places would charge a small fee to break bills. I think its illigel tho.

2. Trade.tf shows that on actual item for currency trades, people will go with generally accepted rates. Those trades would out number the people doing a scrap below or above on currencies.

Except trade.tf uses medians which means that the same number of trades could be happening a scrap below and a scrap above a price and the median would still be in-between. Those max and min don't actually show the highest and lowest keys are sold at because there are more than enough sales at 5.77+ for it not show. I've asked him about it before, it had something to do with uncertainty.

Except trade.tf uses medians which means that the same number of trades could be happening a scrap below and a scrap above a price and the median would still be in-between. Those max and min don't actually show the highest and lowest keys are sold at because there are more than enough sales at 5.77+ for it not show. I've asked him about it before, it had something to do with uncertainty.

For most items, yes, but u check the key price its min/max r most commanly at rec lvl points for some time until forced to move to the next rec point. The vast majority of trades involving the "currency" items will show a simular graph. Key, buds and others show this movement to regular points. In this way we could see bills losinf currency status. Its graph is all over the place. Nothing like key or buds.

Archived