The pricing of refined

puddingkip

In the past, refined has been a stable currency. When a vote would go up attempting to change the price half the comments were "omg I didn't even know you could price ref".

This indicates that refined was a stable currency, and key prices in refined also were stable. Increasing, but at a stable rate. The ref price in $ slowly dropped, whilst the key price in ref slowly rose. The price of keys in $ has remained pretty much the same ever since Long got trade banned Valve acted on carders, roughly around $1.80.

But the problem with bp.tf and the pricing in $ is that everything is based off refined, the only currency to have a $ value. The problem has been hugely brought down now that unusuals are no longer stored in $, and thus in refined, but in keys/buds. But a part of this problem still remains. As an unusual is stored as 18 keys, the value of said unusual will be 18*key price in ref*ref value in $. The ref value in $ isn't stable, and as such the $ value of said unusual isn't. But assuming that the unusual is still worth 18 keys a year later those same keys can be sold for 18*1.80=$32.40. During the year the ref-key value and the ref-$ value will have changed a lot, and as such the price of the unusual in $ varied whilst if the $ value was used for keys and not for ref the value would have been stable. This is why I am suggesting to alter the way ref is priced.

It is beneficial to the entire market if the currencies are stable. Stable currencies create a calmed down market, and people appreciate stable currencies and will show greater trust in the market when currencies are stable. Ref at it's current rate isn't very stable, and key pricing in ref most certainly isn't stable. But key-$ value has remained stable for a very long time and I have no reason to believe it would vary much in the near future. This is one of the major reasons why I would like to see keys priced in $ and not ref.

For items that are of smaller value than a key the same system that is currently in place could be used in reserve. A 1.33 ref hat could have a dollar value of (1.33/current value of keys in ref)/value of keys in $. The long term differences of the values will be negligible but the stability it creates in backpack graphs, value of unusuals and most of all peoples minds will be worth the change in my opinion.

TL/DR store the dollar value of keys, not ref

p.s. my title is pretty horrible but at the moment I couldn't find a more fitting one. This is also the first serious suggestion of the type that I am aware of, if this has been suggested before I would like to be corrected

• Administrators

-snip-

Pretty much you are saying price keys in $ not in ref? You yourself have suggested this before here  :P

Christley also made a great point on your other thread here and here

Also, few others have suggested this as well. As far as I can recall all suggestions like this has been rejected before.  :ph34r:

Pretty much you are saying price keys in $ not in ref? You yourself have suggested this before here  :P

Christley also made a great point on your other thread here and here

Also, few others have suggested this as well. As far as I can recall all suggestions like this has been rejected before.  :ph34r:

Right. How did I manage to forget?

Archived