Can RAM degrade fps?

TimaHawk

Here is my build:

Intel i5 quad-core 2.8gHz

Nvidia GTX 760

Not sure about mobo - but it's second hand from a friend who hasn't had any problems relating to it, and has been playing games like BF4 and Arma 3 on high setting with good fps.

And here's the punchline:

2x2gb of RAM, which is unbranded, and one stick doesn't match the other.

So far my assumption has been that this RAM is the cause of me getting very inconsistent frames on CSGO, from about 30-70, on all low graphics, on 1680x1050 res.

You can imagine my disappointment, new pc - bad fps.

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the fault of my RAM?

If it results in your swap file (page file) being used commonly, yes, very much. You can try using the Resource Monitor, tab Disk. If you see pagefile.sys high up the list then yes, that's the problem.

Make sure that you have the monitor plugged into the graphics card, not the motherboard. A lot of people mess this up, lol

I assume you have all the correct drivers. Have you tried monitoring GPU usage in programs like MSI Afterburner? Or RAM/CPU usage in task manager?

If task manager says you have 4 GB RAM, they're probably working... though I wouldn't expect them to run in dual channel mode. Even then the performance hit is pretty much insignificant

Good luck

You can't use ram sticks that arent the same and expect great performance.

They need to be the same speed & CL

Or else performance will be capped by the lower performing ram

Go to bios and check how much ram you actually have to see if it detects both 

are you saying you only have 4gb of RAM total? 2x2gb unbranded sticks that don't match?

this pretty much sounds like the most rinky dink mickey mouse RAM setup of 2015

are you saying you only have 4gb of RAM total? 2x2gb unbranded sticks that don't match?

thank you for valuable input.

And yeah, the sticks not matching is probably your main problem.

I'd be happy to get thirty frames in TF2, why complain about having great frames in CS:GO?

And not having matching ram sticks means nothing to me, but I'd assume it's a problem.

it also isn't really a new pc, it's second hand. what OS is it running?

also your friend may have lower standards for game performance if he says he didn't have problems with it, or maybe he swapped out the RAM and kept the good stuff for his new pc.

im guessing the ram could be the problem, I found this video as it shows that in TF2, it never drops below 190 FPS as the description says,

im pretty sure CS:GO would run similar, right?

cs:go is a newer game, so I'd imagine it requires better specs.

also i didn't see a fps counter anywhere in that video, even though all that requires is show_fps 1 (or 2 for the same thing but it only updates every second or so) so it could have been 30 fps, like it was recorded at.

Make sure that you have the monitor plugged into the graphics card, not the motherboard. A lot of people mess this up, lol

Yeah, there's a HDMI straight into the GPU

I'd be happy to get thirty frames in TF2, why complain about having great frames in CS:GO?

Well, I bought a 'new' PC with much better specs than my laptop (apart from ram ofc), expecting 100+ frames on all high graphics. Instead I'm getting worse frames on worse graphics. 

Bit disappointed that's all.

also your friend may have lower standards for game performance if he says he didn't have problems with it, or maybe he swapped out the RAM and kept the good stuff for his new pc.

Windows 7.

His standards are pretty high - so it isn't the mobo.

You can't use ram sticks that arent the same and expect great performance.

They need to be the same speed & CL

Or else performance will be capped by the lower performing ram

Go to bios and check how much ram you actually have to see if it detects both 

Thanks I did not know about the performance being capped by the shittier ram

How do I check ram in bios?

Yeah tell me about it - the ram was going to be temporary since I was going to buy ram from a friend, but he pulled out of the deal

Well, luckily for you, RAM is not hella expensive to fix, just get two new sticks. 4GP is too low anyways, try at least 8GB

And not having matching ram sticks means nothing to me, but I'd assume it's a problem.

why would you be happy with 30 fps, unless you have never seen a higher framerate before? for real though, anything around 30 fps is actually irritating to play on.

post a Speccy screenshot to show us your ram speed, 4GB isn't great but shouldn't be messing up source games, as ram is typically only a bottleneck if you run out of it.

post a Speccy screenshot to show us your ram speed, 4GB isn't great but shouldn't be messing up source games, as ram is typically only a bottleneck if you run out of it.

RAM is 1333mHz I believe - both sticks

Nah, if he said he could run BF3 and Arma III on high settings with high FPS, the machine should easily be able to handle any source game on low settings. 

why would you be happy with 30 fps, unless you have never seen a higher framerate before? for real though, anything around 30 fps is actually irritating to play on.

Dude, I can dominate on ten FPS, I barely get five usually. It's why I dont even bother playing games. I can't run anything on my computer, not even minecraft. Though minecraft is actually just fine at around fifteen FPS. Thirty FPS is godlike for me.

Dude, I can dominate on ten FPS, I barely get five usually. It's why I dont even bother playing games. I can't run anything on my computer, not even minecraft. Though minecraft is actually just fine at around fifteen FPS. Thirty FPS is godlike for me.

minecraft is a surprisingly demanding game.

but wow. 10 fps is an interactive slideshow, not a game.

RAM doesn't matter for gaming really, if you've got 4 GB with 1333 hz then you should be able to play games with no problem, obviously gettting 8 GB would be better, as it is generally recomended and usually the best soloutions without going too low or high on RAM.

1333 hz is fine, you can get some at 1666 hz which are a small bit better (depending on fabricator), it will only make bigger differences if you go heavy and take something like 2444 hz, then it'll be and improovement that you can feel, but not really matter in gaming.

Though, get two RAM sticks that match each other, I will be that is what is causeing your problem, as the RAM may not be able to work together, and you actuallly only have 2 GB of RAM. Though it's still a bit confusing, you should be able to get more frames a second with that build regardless of your  RAM.

Archived