Unbox naughty crates - yay or nay?

JudgementalAlpha

Should I unbox 10 naughty crates this year?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Should I unbox 10 naughty crates this year?

• Yes
    • No

Welp the hype train already derailled, I guess you could say it's

*puts on shades*

The end of the line

Anyways, price reflects on sellers not sales, with a one week cool down, everyone will sell, price plummets over the next six months. SF's 1-2 keys easy

My bet is tomorrow, last year's smissmass update happened on a friday.

I was actually referring to the trade lock that was on Steam's market, but yes, I do speculate that the update's today as well.

>buys keys

>unboxes hype

>hype is untradeable for 1 week

>hype dies

>profit dies

>player cries

added..

>get off the trade train son.. it's the End of The Line

>buys keys

>unboxes hype

>hype is untradeable for 1 week

>hype dies

>profit dies

>player cries

This is the very first thing that came to mind when Valve announced the purchase restriction.

Playing devil's advocate here - It also means that people would be forced to buy what the early unboxers unbox, as they can't unbox anything untradable without planning a week's in advance.

hue, if you think this update was to help us out imo you are mistaken.

The true reason valve made this update is that everyone would buy more keys to unbox the new items, resulting in more cash flow.

Since obviously no one wants to wait a week to get the new items, everyones going to be unboxing.

hue, if you think this update was to help us out imo you are mistaken.

The true reason valve made this update is that everyone would buy more keys to unbox the new items, resulting in more cash flow.

Since obviously no one wants to wait a week to get the new items, everyones going to be unboxing.

No one is going to unbox because what's the use in getting a Christmas item on Xmas day or later? The value in a holiday item is having it before the holiday, so the post event price drop will start the items price at a considerably lower price than if you were able to sell it today. Plus in the past when you opened a crate you stood a chance of getting 1/2 of your keys investment in the form of a craft hat, now unless you receive an unusual it is 1/15. So the wise economic decision is to not even bothering with unboxxing. 

I dont think uncrated items will be untradeable for a week.

How about I give you 5 naughty crates, and if you get over 3 rare/valuable items you give me one. (if not you can have 5 for free)

I dont think uncrated items will be untradeable for a week.

How about I give you 5 naughty crates, and if you get over 3 rare/valuable items you give me one. (if not you can have 5 for free)

Change that to keys and deal.

I think I'll buy $25 of keys and get the experience of unboxing.

The worst thing that can happen is I get 10 unusuals and get obsessed and lose all my profit right?

1 week after the update, either EVERYONE is going to try and get the new items causing the prices to sky rocket, or people will just forget about it causing the prices to drop a ton.

The hype is stronkest in the first 2 or 3 days. I don't think it would be a good idea to uncrate this year. I am personally going to sit this one out to a degree and just uncrate to satisfy my want and not to profit.

hopefully a lot of ppl will go with your mindset and let the profit to the rest of us.

hopefully a lot of ppl will go with your mindset and let the profit to the rest of us.

The whole hype thing usually occurs because the market is not yet flooded with items, i.e. the first 3 days.  Then once everybody calms down and realizes that the new demo coat (or whatever) isn't actually very rare at all.   This update, there will be nothing for a week and then all of a sudden the market is going to be flooded with Christmas items with everyone trying to undercut eachother (see EOTL and Late Summer).   The window for profit will be small, save for strange festives maybe.  But the highest of those last year was the black box at 6 keys hype price so it's not anything fantastic either.  

Archived