Noob PC building thread (another one :c)

dabaers

US I assume? and I would personally go for no ssd and a better gpu; also NEVER get a 32gb ssd, anything under 120gb is stupid.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($108.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($45.98 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card ($175.91 @ Newegg)

Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ OutletPC)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)

Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($131.98 @ Newegg)

Keyboard: Logitech K100 Wired Slim Keyboard ($11.88 @ Amazon)

Mouse: Logitech G100s Wired Optical Mouse ($26.39 @ NCIX US)

Total: $764.55

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-10 19:51 EST-0500

And what are you using now? Do you not have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, hdd, case, psu?

US I assume? And what are you using now? Do you not have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, hdd, case, psu?

The PC god has spoken

Yes, US. Im currently using a Mac (ikr, weep) with stock Mac keyboard and a $5 no brand mouse. (aka shit)

The PC god has spoken

Yes, US. Im currently using a Mac (ikr, weep) with stock Mac keyboard and a $5 no brand mouse. (aka shit)

A mac as in an iMac or a laptop? I actually like the chiclet keys thats used on macs (not as much as mechanical switches....but you're not getting mech switches in your budget).

A mac as in an iMac or a laptop? I actually like the chiclet keys thats used on macs (not as much as mechanical switches....but you're not getting mech switches in your budget).

iMac. Selling it for $$ towards the PC

NEVER get a 32gb ssd, anything under 120gb is stupid.

Definitely agree here. Not only is anything under 120gb stupid, but honestly unless you are rolling in dough, anything is stupid. Solid-state, while nice, is a new tech and as such is expensive. Wait a few years and get one when the tech is more readily available and as such cheaper. The only use for the SSD you have now is maybe you can partition the hard drive onto it. I mean, its nice, but not necessary.

Some other pointers (I'm building a new one myself atm)

- Power source: If you're willing to drop an extra $30, you can get a nice 750W, Gold-standard one

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

-Operating System: Check out Slickdeals, you can usually find it $20 cheaper or so

-CPU: No. Stop right there mister. Just because its Intel doesn't mean it is the best. Espicially considering you're spending 100-odd on it, for AN I3! I recommend checking out AMD's offerings. They can get you much better for less. This is what I'm getting, only around $60 more, and a LOT better, its at least as good as an i7. (AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor)

But if you really want a i7, and are willing to commit a small felony, you can go to Slickdeals, there is a deal running if you pretend to be a employee at a major corporation you can  get one for $95.

Note: I am NOT in any way endorsing committing felonies/identity theft. I am simply saying that it is a option currently available!

-Case: Nice, cheap pick. If you want a nicer one (More steel/less plastic, glowing LEDs), you don't need to spend much more, maybe 10 or 20.

-Memory: If this is a gaming computer, I suggest buying another 8GB. I know you don't have much atm, but it'll be worth it in the long run (Not to mention the fact that a few tips here could save you money)

I SHALL USURP THE PC GOD!!! MWAHAHAHAHA!

Definitely agree here. Not only is anything under 120gb stupid, but honestly unless you are rolling in dough, anything is stupid. Solid-state, while nice, is a new tech and as such is expensive. Wait a few years and get one when the tech is more readily available and as such cheaper. The only use for the SSD you have now is maybe you can partition the hard drive onto it. I mean, its nice, but not necessary.

Some other pointers (I'm building a new one myself atm)

- Power source: If you're willing to drop an extra $30, you can get a nice 750W, Gold-standard one

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

-Operating System: Check out Slickdeals, you can usually find it $20 cheaper or so

-CPU: No. Stop right there mister. Just because its Intel doesn't mean it is the best. Espicially considering you're spending 100-odd on it, for AN I3! I recommend checking out AMD's offerings. They can get you much better for less. This is what I'm getting, only around $60 more, and a LOT better, its at least as good as an i7. (AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor)

But if you really want a i7, and are willing to commit a small felony, you can go to Slickdeals, there is a deal running if you pretend to be a employee at a major corporation you can  get one for $95.

Note: I am NOT in any way endorsing committing felonies/identity theft. I am simply saying that it is a option currently available!

-Case: Nice, cheap pick. If you want a nicer one (More steel/less plastic, glowing LEDs), you don't need to spend much more, maybe 10 or 20.

-Memory: If this is a gaming computer, I suggest buying another 8GB. I know you don't have much atm, but it'll be worth it in the long run (Not to mention the fact that a few tips here could save you money)

I SHALL USURP THE PC GOD!!! MWAHAHAHAHA!

Once you're able to afford an i5+R9 280 or above, at that point is when an ssd makes sense. Anything less and the ssd money should be going towards the cpu/gpu.

An i3 will beat an 8320 in a large number of games, and an i5 will beat an 8350 in everything else. Not to mention, you can get an i5-4440+an H81 board for the same cost as an FX8320+990x/990FX board+cooler master hyper 212 -- a Haswell i5, even at stock speeds, will wreck an FX9590 (a heavily overclocked 8320).

An FX8320 isn't even close to an i7 in performance; as I said above (and as any source you'll find will show you), even a locked Haswell i5 will beat a 9590.

An i7 for $95...what do they want...my ssn? bank account? Unless you're talking about a Nalhelm i7, in which case no...just no. 

8gb is MORE than enough for gaming and doing other things (such as browsing the internet/watching videos). 

Not today you won't.

US I assume? and I would personally go for no ssd and a better gpu; also NEVER get a 32gb ssd, anything under 120gb is stupid.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($108.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($45.98 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card ($175.91 @ Newegg)

Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ OutletPC)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)

Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($131.98 @ Newegg)

Keyboard: Logitech K100 Wired Slim Keyboard ($11.88 @ Amazon)

Mouse: Logitech G100s Wired Optical Mouse ($26.39 @ NCIX US)

Total: $764.55

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-10 19:51 EST-0500

And what are you using now? Do you not have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, hdd, case, psu?

Even better, replace that keyboard/mouse with this bundle http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-Devastator-Keyboard-Edition/dp/B00DKXXAAQ

Better value, looks nice. I own it and it was definitely worth it, even though I paid nearly twice the price it is there because I'm Australian.

Even better, replace that keyboard/mouse with this bundle http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-Devastator-Keyboard-Edition/dp/B00DKXXAAQ

Better value, looks nice. I own it and it was definitely worth it, even though I paid nearly twice the price it is there because I'm Australian.

Yea, I tried a devastator in a bestbuy once while I was killing time, and I will say I liked it quite a bit for the price....but I still preferred using the G100s, but both are good mice (the devastator keyboard is no question better though)....to each their own I guess. 

I agree that an SSD is a bit beyond your budget. It is certainly nice if you can afford one--it makes things load incredibly fast and your OS runs much more smoothly in addition to being quieter, but the benefits it gives you definitely come at a high premium compared to an HDD. You'd be better off spending your money on other things since your budget is limited.

(my PC has a 256GB SSD; cost ~105 USD and I've already filled up ~170 GB on it)

Archived