Unusual Pricing

F  CHARLIE

All the various discussion about Unusual pricing made me realize something.  It is pointless to have a price list at all.  If you want to know what you could get for your hat go to OP and see what people are offering for a hat like yours.  If you like their offer just add them.  If you want to trade it, just spam your offer on other hat sales, that you like, until someone accepts.

The method we use to price an Unusual is a joke.  We take the lowest serious offer as low end and the highest sale/ offer for the high end.  So one Smoking Festive Tree sells for 2 buds and bang, new high range set.  Hat gets a price increase.  Do you really believe that the eleven guys trying to sell theirs on Outpost right now will get that anytime soon?  What about the other 29 owners of said hat, will they get that?  Crack smoking delusional.  Just because one meat-head paid much more than anyone else, we are supposed to believe that the hat is worth that.  When we do suggestions for other items, it is standard to throw out high-balls and low-balls except when we do Unusuals.  It is useless information to let owners know that one wing-nut paid a junk-load for a hat like theirs.  The best thing that we can do for owners is to let them know what people are offering for a hat like theirs.

Just look over the "Latest Changes" section.  Stroll through the pages and you will notice that a vast majority of all of the Unusual suggestions are getting price bumps.  That is not logical if you consider that 16 new effects have been added and 40 some new hat options.  It is more logical to see demand drop on older styles/types as people move to newer hats or prepare to get a newer hat when they see it come out.  In addition to that, demand for buds is also dropping.  This indicates a decrease in the overall demand for Unusuals as buds are the primary currency of Unusuals.

Here are some thoughts:

- 200~ Different hats with 49 effects = 9,800 different types of Unusuals, WOW.

- There are around 89,000 Unusuals in the game.  So if you assume that there are 150,000 active players worldwide, than there enough Unusuals for 59% of active players to own one.  Although most are held by traders trying to squeeze max profit out of them.

- Over 400,000 robo-crates have been opened.  That should mean there are about 26,000 Unusuals from that alone.  Don't know if that is true tho, I don't think so, but just another reason that Unusual prices in general should go down. 

Would support the part about not having a pricelist for unusuals at all. But do you thing Brad cares? Sad fact is that people here think that everything should be going by a table of prices, which is really sad. It's ok if we're talking about unique, vintage or genuine items. But unusuals is a completely different thing. I never liked the way unusuals are priced here but who cares anyway.

You charlie have a real problem with unusuals or something. 

And same can be said about every item if all the sellers try to sell it they will obviously drop since theres an increase of supply and not a increase in demand. 

Edit: Unusuals aren't always going to keep going down. And most of them arent going up in value they are just moving back to what they were because people dont care about $$ of hats they offer 1 bud for 1 bud unusuals even if buds go from 30$ to 40$ So thats why it looks like they are going up. 

People who deal in high tier stuff like the status of having their backpack values visible to all. That's honestly a huge draw for this website among the high rollers and traders in general. Unusual prices are a big part of that and ought to be included. 

And I'll admit, that's one thing that keeps me trading. Dropping unusual values would make my bp value drop 40x. And I'd probably not find trading interesting any more.

Would support the part about not having a pricelist for unusuals at all. But do you thing Brad cares? Sad fact is that people here think that everything should be going by a table of prices, which is really sad. It's ok if we're talking about unique, vintage or genuine items. But unusuals is a completely different thing. I never liked the way unusuals are priced here but who cares anyway.

There are hats out that should even be priced at a Bills;  Handy Handle, Football Helmet, Steel Toe Shoe, Doctor Sack etc.  People Also, did you miss the numbers, 9,800 different Unusuals.  Large amounts of them would be beat out by a non-unusual, seriously.  I agree some Unusuals are irrelevant to price but cmon, why do you treat them so highly when you have to agree a lot of them are junk?

And same can be said about every item if all the sellers try to sell it they will obviously drop since theres an increase of supply and not a increase in demand. 

The price we list is to signal to current owner what their hat sells/trades at.  By showing the outlier highball we have misrepresented what their hat is worth.  Its not that all the hats would go on the market, its that people may be considering it but are mislead to believe their hat is worth more than what they get at the moment they want trade out.

Edit: Unusuals aren't always going to keep going down. And most of them arent going up in value they are just moving back to what they were because people dont care about $$ of hats they offer 1 bud for 1 bud unusuals even if buds go from 30$ to 40$ So thats why it looks like they are going up. 

There is no "looks" about it.  They are going up.  Keys are more expensive to trade for, remember.  You keep shoving that BS line about bad programing but they are price bumps.  Keys are more expensive and by association, so are buds.  The buyer has to pay for that increase when it was not as expensive a little while ago.  Just look at how many keys are entering the market weekly (6000 new keys a week).  People aren't trading for keys anymore, they are spending real money and we are misrepresenting the value of what they are spending on.

People who deal in high tier stuff like the status of having their backpack values visible to all. That's honestly a huge draw for this website among the high rollers and traders in general. Unusual prices are a big part of that and ought to be included. 

And I'll admit, that's one thing that keeps me trading. Dropping unusual values would make my bp value drop 40x. And I'd probably not find trading interesting any more.

I have no response for this.

Edit: Also, I have one suggestion I would like to make.  I would like to have only pure offers be accepted as proof in Unusual suggestions.  If we are going to display a price in pure then that should supported by proof showing pure offers.  Hat offers, even with overpay calculation, is invalid as main proof as people value these differently.  If we are communicating a price to current owners based on hat offers that they themselves would not accept, based on taste, than again we have mislead them.  They see a pure price, they may not understand what is based on.

Dammit was typing a lot and it got deleted.

Anyways, tl;dr: prices will make sharking harder and the main problem is that people feel the need of getting more rep so they update any minor change. The prices are a guide and should not be taken as fact.

Dammit was typing a lot and it got deleted.

Anyways, tl;dr: prices will make sharking harder and the main problem is that people feel the need of getting more rep so they update any minor change. The prices are a guide and should not be taken as fact.

You can say that but it doesn't really work like that.  As this site has no acceptable competitor in this field, no one can compare prices to weigh the sites validity.  Also, this site has the power of consensus.  These two components grant it authority.

Rep whoring is bazaar and would lead to unusual price suggestions designed to satisfy traders who then vote.  Anyway, I want opinions about requiring pure proofs only.

All the various discussion about Unusual pricing made me realize something.  It is pointless to have a price list at all.  If you want to know what you could get for your hat go to OP and see what people are offering for a hat like yours.  If you like their offer just add them.  If you want to trade it, just spam your offer on other hat sales, that you like, until someone accepts.

The method we use to price an Unusual is a joke.  We take the lowest serious offer as low end and the highest sale/ offer for the high end.  So one Smoking Festive Tree sells for 2 buds and bang, new high range set.  Hat gets a price increase.  Do you really believe that the eleven guys trying to sell theirs on Outpost right now will get that anytime soon?  What about the other 29 owners of said hat, will they get that?  Crack smoking delusional.  Just because one meat-head paid much more than anyone else, we are supposed to believe that the hat is worth that.  When we do suggestions for other items, it is standard to throw out high-balls and low-balls except when we do Unusuals.  It is useless information to let owners know that one wing-nut paid a junk-load for a hat like theirs.  The best thing that we can do for owners is to let them know what people are offering for a hat like theirs.

Just look over the "Latest Changes" section.  Stroll through the pages and you will notice that a vast majority of all of the Unusual suggestions are getting price bumps.  That is not logical if you consider that 16 new effects have been added and 40 some new hat options.  It is more logical to see demand drop on older styles/types as people move to newer hats or prepare to get a newer hat when they see it come out.  In addition to that, demand for buds is also dropping.  This indicates a decrease in the overall demand for Unusuals as buds are the primary currency of Unusuals.

Here are some thoughts:

- 200~ Different hats with 49 effects = 9,800 different types of Unusuals, WOW.

- There are around 89,000 Unusuals in the game.  So if you assume that there are 150,000 active players worldwide, than there enough Unusuals for 59% of active players to own one.  Although most are held by traders trying to squeeze max profit out of them.

- Over 400,000 robo-crates have been opened.  That should mean there are about 26,000 Unusuals from that alone.  Don't know if that is true tho, I don't think so, but just another reason that Unusual prices in general should go down.

Yure not alone. Ive felt the same way for a while. Unusuals are highly subjective and they arent traded in enough volume to get an accurate price.

Archived