Need advice for upgrading my MB/CPU.

Carnage

It's really as simple as that? I read, in multiple places, that the code was bound to your motherboard.

You will occasionally (I seriously love the lack of consistency here....) have to contact Microsoft support and transfer the copy of windows onto the new board. The only real issue I've ever read about is an OEM copy of windows in that it can't be transferred to a different model board, but I've personally done it myself with no issues in the past...

• 2 weeks later...

The time has come. Should I format my HDD before reinstalling Windows 7 once my new hardware is in?

if you have windows installed already the installer should format it for you

Well, my dvd drive is so old that there isn't a port for it on the new mobo. Booted up and Windows tried to repair itself but failed. I expected as much. Going to try and copy Windows 7 to a USB and boot from there.

Worst case is I have to buy a new key for Windows 7 since I already have a disc. Would this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-32-or-64-Bit-Full-Activation-Key-Download-/321611666729?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item4ae18c9529

Well, my dvd drive is so old that there isn't a port for it on the new mobo. Booted up and Windows tried to repair itself but failed. I expected as much. Going to try and copy Windows 7 to a USB and boot from there.

Worst case is I have to buy a new key for Windows 7 since I already have a disc. Would this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-32-or-64-Bit-Full-Activation-Key-Download-/321611666729?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item4ae18c9529

You can download the .iso file off of Microsoft's website, and then if you get an error activating it due to it being an OEM license on a new board, then you can just contact Microsoft and ask them to transfer the license. 

Also, what do you mean your cd drive can't be connected to the new board (im not saying you should because ODDs are dead and ugly). Your old board doesn't have any interface other than Sata and the sata interface hasn't changed since (or ever).

You can download the .iso file off of Microsoft's website, and then if you get an error activating it due to it being an OEM license on a new board, then you can just contact Microsoft and ask them to transfer the license. 

Also, what do you mean your cd drive can't be connected to the new board (im not saying you should because ODDs are dead and ugly). Your old board doesn't have any interface other than Sata and the sata interface hasn't changed since (or ever).

My dvd drive was connected to my mobo with what looks like a IDE Hard Drive Cable. There isn't a sata port on the drive either. 

Would this key work though? I seem to have left my Windows key at my university and it would cost more just to go get it than to buy the one in the link. 

My dvd drive was connected to my mobo with what looks like a IDE Hard Drive Cable. There isn't a sata port on the drive either. 

Would this key work though? I seem to have left my Windows key at my university and it would cost more just to go get it than to buy the one in the link. 

I didn't see an IDE port on that motherboard of yours when I glanced at it a second ago... whoops, looked at it too quickly I guess. 

Anyway...The key would work if it's a legitimate key, but I would personally avoid buying a key off of ebay. I'd suggest having a look at G2a.com; although, only w8/w8.1 keys are cheap and they are supposedly MSDN keys -- the legality of selling them has been questioned (but I'd assumed thats what the keys from that ebay link are as well). 

But, you can also find out your cd key just by doing something on the computer itself. http://download.cnet.com/Magical-Jelly-Bean-Keyfinder/3000-18487_4-10079600.html

It's alive with the new cpu, mb, ram, and wifi adapter and W7 has been successfully installed via USB! Since I have 30 days to activate I'll try my key once I'm back at school and then try to get Microsoft to validate a new one if it doesn't work.

Now my hard drive has developed a lovely grinding noise *sigh*.

Archived