Inventors = Death of all of us?

Zefrom

Better read that tsunami of words, not gonna put a TL:DR

Let just say you invented a new thing like say Leaded Gasoline in 1920s. The "you" is Thomas Midgley Jr.

He founded the chemical in the 1920s. The function of the gasoline to have a silent engine knocking, stop wear and tear on engines and car performances were better with leaded gasoline. Sounds good right?

Well it is the cause of multiple cases of lead poisonings in children and air pollution. It was pretty much banned everywhere in the world except in some parts of 3rd world countries. But not only bad inventions will be the death of us, even the good ones are. I'm going to give an example, the computer. Computers are so good, help us send messages in seconds, help us with homework, video games, videos, movies, live streams and so much more but it can be damaging to your eyes, addiction and our human communications will be worse.

Handphone is another example. Pretty much have the same features as computers but you can carry it around! Isn't that great!? Well it also can be damaging to your eyes, you have less interaction with others because you are just sitting in a corner using your phone, probably dangerous as it emits radiation (low levels) and addiction

Nuclear energy is another one. Nuclear energy is an efficient source of electricity due to a it being environmentally friendly and efficient at the same time but the nuclear factories may have a meltdown and cause a nuclear fallout. Nuclear energy also created atomic bombs that can destroy mankind many times

So inventions help us solve some problems but they in return spawn even more problems. Eventually we will invent something magnificent but in return, we may die out

tl;dr

technology is evil because it can be harmful / deadly

My response: so is anything.  Literally anything.  You can die from drinking too much water FFS.

If anything, this is an excellent case for encouraging people to be responsible and educated.

tl;dr

technology is evil because it can be harmful / deadly

My response: so is anything.  Literally anything.  You can die from drinking too much water FFS.

If anything, this is an excellent case for encouraging people to be responsible and educated.

Drinking too much water is extraordinary because usually no one will do that

Drinking too much water is extraordinary because usually no one will do that

Usually, yeah.  Usually nobody will damage their eyes with a CRT monitor either, especially now that we have LCD flat screens.

It has also allowed medical breakthroughs, and other life saving technologies. Average human life expectancy is increasing, so obviously it's doing more good than harm.

It was significantly much harder to kill me people with clubs. As soon as people invented bronze and ranged weaponry killing got easier and easier.

I would however say our life is much better than that of cavemen

Yes, curse those darn evil inventors, who have provided us with a great society, technology, our ability to be sitting in our computer chairs debating this. Our fairs, locomotion, so many things we owe to inventors. They improve life far more than they harm it. For every guy killed in a car accident, three billion are living great lives due to the inventions of others. I say three billion because third world countries don't count.

I actually rather resent your statement on the isolation of a digitally savvy member of society. I know for a fact that for introverts, speaking purely through text can greatly increase their confidence. Not only does it relieve any stress to by overly active in a live conversation but it also allows one to think answers through and respond thoughtfully.

Your definition of social isolation is one of overused digital communication, seeing every situation through with a device and finding solutions solely through these contraptions. However, in essence, this is not isolating the human social system, simply transferring it to another medium for better use.

By the way, this

tl;dr

Made me lol so hard.

By the way, this

Made me lol so hard.

He said he wasn't putting a tl;dr summary for his post and so I did it for him.  I don't understand what's so funny about that.  If you're trying to say that my posts are too long, at least I have the courtesy to break them up into paragraphs and properly format them.

if there is a positive side,there is a negative side

if there is a good side,there is a bad side.

Not really a good or bad side

Pretty much more and more and more and more problems

Such as pathogens developing resistance toward antibiotics

Not really a good or bad side

Pretty much more and more and more and more problems

It's a natural process.  Sometimes bacteria and viruses can adapt to resist treatment.  It's called evolution.  It doesn't mean antibiotics are bad and it doesn't mean technology is bad.  If there are solutions to be found, they're going to be discovered through the use of technology and the scientific method.  There is no other way.  The alternative is to stop trying to treat diseases.  That would be insane.

You've obviously not thought this through very well.

However, some people have made the case that certain antibiotics have been unnecessarily overperscribed and that patients have not completed full treatment courses, which has led to the development of drug resistant pathogens being accelerated.  This is a case for handling prescription and treatment more responsibly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic_misuse

Right, we should just not use antibiotics and let the human race grow a resistance to these pathogens as they do

Wait, that would require the death of millions of people, if not the entire race, so nah, I'll stick to the antibiotics.

Right, we should just not use antibiotics and let the human race grow a resistance to these pathogens as they do

Wait, that would require the death of millions of people, if not the entire race, so nah, I'll stick to the antibiotics.

Antibiotics are often used excessively in situations where they are not needed, and pathogens are probably much more resistant to antibiotics than they should be.

Archived