Life, Death and Everything Between

Grimes

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/statuses/user/4782-grimes/?status_id=96994

Following on from this status; What is the point of life, when there is death at the end? Nothingness, Blackness, non-existence.

For those of you who are religious and believe in an afterlife, forget about that for a moment, and assume there is no after-life and try to answer the question accordingly. 

Note: No, i'm not suicidal. 

inb4 so edgy

It is very difficult to imagine, but when you imagine it, it is very frightening.

I believe there is no point in life, just to survive and reproduce. Well, thats when I think about it scientifically. But when I think about it from another perspective, I view my life as an opportunity to help others, and make their lives better.

Also:

"Life is nothing but a big distraction from death"- Grimes 2k14

Believe it or not, up until you said this, I never thought of death as much. I get really scared at times, but thinking about death and acknowledging death is very important. It might sound cheesy but you changed my perspective on life.

Just being alive and in good health is its own reward.  I also take pleasure in and benefit directly and indirectly from the happiness and well being of others, and so I have an interest in behaving in accordance with that.

So what's the point?  The point is to be alive for whatever amount of time you have and to enjoy it while it lasts.  Part of that enjoyment comes from being nice to other people and in some cases animals.  Of course, some people are sick fucks and tend to go the opposite way... they're bad for the rest of us and so we tend to lock them up.

What else can I say?  *shrug*

Also:

"Life is nothing but a big distraction from death"- Grimes 2k14

I read that quote in a terrible Mathew Reily book funnily enough. I had almost an identical reaction to you.

When I first read it it scared the absolute shite out of me.

There's no point in life, only reproduction, but that's just a biological pre-set objective

Just have fun while you're alive and try to make your life experience a good thing, it may not matter after you're dead, but i'm sure that the people that you spent time with will remember it (if they're still alive)

There's no point in life, only reproduction, but that's just a biological pre-set objective

Just have fun while you're alive and try to make your life experience a good thing, it may not matter after you're dead, but i'm sure that the people that you spent time with will remember it (if they're still alive)

But they will just die as well. 

but i'm sure that the people that you spent time with will remember it (if they're still alive)

"another 6 months and i'll be unknown"- Blink-182 "Adam's Song"

I doubt people will remember you that much, unless you did something great. It is sad but true.

When we think about other people dying, we think: "Oh, that is really sad, i wish he/she was still here"

But when we think about or deaths, we get a lot more serious

I don't believe there's a meaning of life, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Scientifically won't it mean to reproduce?

What is the reason for existence at all? It is impossible to describe nonexistence in english, there can never be words to describe something we can't understand, but maybe to identify.

Why do particles exist? Why is there not just nothing? Science says matter cannot be created or destroyed. This has never been proven false. yet, at some point, there had to have been nothing. I can't imagine infinity, because infinity can't exist. It's impossible, in a physical sense, for there to always have been matter and therefore never a beginning or a creation. 

If god exists, who created god so he could create the universe?

By our understanding of the universe, this is impossible. Everything is impossible, because nothing should exist.

Scientifically won't it mean to reproduce?

But your offspring will just die as well.

The way I see it, the meaning of life is to make life a little bit better for the next generation, slowly improving the human civilization. The individual means nothing.

This creates a new question, why are we living for the next generation?

Ugh, too complex to comprehend in my mind.

Something is coming? Earth will be destroyed; humans will have to colonise another planet? Keeping the human race alive, possible human-evolution that allows us to adapt to new situations?

The way I see it, the meaning of life is to make life a little bit better for the next generation, slowly improving the human civilization. The individual means nothing.

By your logic, improving the human civilization it's irrelevant as well, 99% of all human beings that have ever existed have done nothing remarkable for the improvement of the whole species.

Hell, even for some sadistic and twisted individuals the whole meaning of their lifes is to make someone else life miserable

The meaning of life isn't something absolute and objective, it's subjective

By your logic, improving the human civilization it's irrelevant as well, 99% of all human beings that have ever existed have done nothing remarkable for the improvement of the whole species.

Hell, even for some sadistic and twisted individuals the whole meaning of their lifes is to make someone else life miserable

The meaning of life isn't something absolute and objective, it's subjective

It's not really my logic, more of an observation. 

And yes, in my opinion, doing anything is pointless. This does not mean I don't enjoy life, but... yeah.

civilization improves because people are trying to improve their own lives.  it naturally tends to get better over time as a result.  if you ask the average person if the reason they are living is for future generations, they would probably either stare at you blankly or possibly say something about their children and grandchildren.  ultimately it is biological self-interest that drives people.

Yeah when you think about it there really is no point to human life all life brings is pain, suffering, heartache, jealousy, ect

Life is really just an empty void of nothingness hours just blend into days, which blend into weeks, and so on until guess what your dead, sounds like fun eh?

We humans wake up everyday not knowing what the day will bring. Will today finally bring happines? Will that girl finally notice me? or maybe it won't maybe today will be another boring shitty day like all the others. Maybe I will get tired of all the shitty days maybe I should do something about it. These thoughts definalty creep into my mind on occasion I try to shut them out, but the truth is its just there what are you going to do about it? suicide? Cause that's not the answer believe me I have thought about it, and realized it is selfish for me to do that so I shouldn't. I will just live my shitty life until I can't live it anymore. I will endure I WILL endure. The shit cause I have to. Now when you are saying the point itself well I guess everyone has their own ideas on what the purpose of their life, most want success sure but success means different things to different people. For me I mean success would be to honestly just have a steady life. If I could have a steady wife with some good kids, and a steady job I could be one of the happiest men around

just putting my thoughts down sorry for shitty grammar.

Yeah when you think about it there really is no point to human life all life brings is pain, suffering, heartache, jealousy, ect

Life is really just an empty void of nothingness hours just blend into days, which blend into weeks, and so on until guess what your dead, sounds like fun eh?

We humans wake up everyday not knowing what the day will bring. Will today finally bring happines? Will that girl finally notice me? or maybe it won't maybe today will be another boring shitty day like all the others. Maybe I will get tired of all the shitty days maybe I should do something about it. These thoughts definalty creep into my mind on occasion I try to shut them out, but the truth is its just there what are you going to do about it? suicide? Cause that's not the answer believe me I have thought about it, and realized it is selfish for me to do that so I shouldn't. I will just live my shitty life until I can't live it anymore. I will endure I WILL endure. The shit cause I have to. Now when you are saying the point itself well I guess everyone has their own ideas on what the purpose of their life, most want success sure but success means different things to different people. For me I mean success would be to honestly just have a steady life. If I could have a steady wife with some good kids, and a steady job I could be one of the happiest men around

just putting my thoughts down sorry for shitty grammar.

Suicide is a very shitty option imo.

Yea I agree with you.

Sometimes people don't fully understand what commiting suicide really does to family, and friends

Good thing I really thought about it, or......

If you're a burden to your family, and you do nothing but pester them, it is the best option for all parties involved. I know this from personal experience, there is no greater relief than not having to come home to a dreaded relative every day because they ended themselves.

From a Scientific standpoint, a person is a brain that controls a meat bicycle. Once that brain is destroyed, you cease to exist, and that's true death.

Thus I plan save my brain and live forever.

Life gets some meaning if you can't die.

Archived