Is it possible for metal to stop being a currency at some point?

Heated Bread

I suspect not, but the idea is interesting to think about, especially with the idea that endless inflation could completely devalue it if left unchecked by crafting.  Supposing that it is possible to lose its currency status (and it may not be), what might be the consequences of that, and what sort of item(s) (if any) would replace it?

I suspect not, but the idea is interesting to think about, especially with the idea that endless inflation could completely devalue it if left unchecked by crafting.  Supposing that it is possible to lose its currency status (and it may not be), what might be the consequences of that, and what sort of item(s) (if any) would replace it?

No, it will always be a currency for hats/lower tier items as it's closely tied to the value of hats. And we actually haven't seen a new currency arise in a LONG time--with the last one being earbuds/Houwars (although, I dont really consider the latter to be a currency) 

• Administrators

Nope, ref has been a currency since the time Valve introduced trading to Tf2. It will always be a currency until the end of time.

I like how you guys answered the first part of the question but not the second part.

If refined metal stopped being a currency, then probably class/weapon tokens and craft hats will replace it. Recipes requiring metal would also be hard to complete as a consequence.

Class weapon tokens? I highly doubt that. Craft hats would be a more likely scenario if it ever did happen. But metal will always be a currency, because its readily available, the supply is infinite (because weapons are always dropping which can then create metal). What is really happening is the devaluing of the currency, no different than various currencies throughout history (German Mark during the 1930s for example). The devaluing has basically turned refined from in comparison, maybe a $5-10 dollar bill in US currency comparable into a $1 or coinage. 

We have also seen the removal of the Bill's hat as a currency and earbuds have taken a serious hit, however its doubtful they will ever stop being a currency either. 

I like how you guys answered the first part of the question but not the second part.

If refined metal stopped being a currency, then probably class/weapon tokens and craft hats will replace it. Recipes requiring metal would also be hard to complete as a consequence.

Class tokens/craft hats would never replace metal as a currency. The only thing that would potentially replace metal as a currency would be something that sits in between Ref and Keys -- similar to why bills* became a currency. 

*well....less why they started out and more what they turned into. 

Class tokens/craft hats would never replace metal as a currency. The only thing that would potentially replace metal as a currency would be something that sits in between Ref and Keys -- similar to why bills* became a currency. 

*well....less why they started out and more what they turned into. 

Class tokens are between scrap and ref and hats are close to ref

Class tokens are between scrap and ref and hats are close to ref

Theres no need for a currency cheaper than ref. Theres already scrap and rec for that. 

Theres no need for a currency cheaper than ref. Theres already scrap and rec for that. 

Did you even fucking read the original post? Your statement has no place here

Did you even fucking read the original post? Your statement has no place here

I'd really suggest you read both the OP and what I wrote, as my comment is very valid; and actually makes sense. 

the OP is asking what would replace ref as a currency....Why in gods name would a cheaper item (which is closely tied to metal anyway) replace metal. It literally makes no sense. There is absolutely no reason for something that is worth less than a ref to replace metal as a currency as there is scrap, rec, and ref which covers the whole lower-end currency. 

The most likely thing to happen will be that TOD tickets (or something similar) become a true currency bridging the gap between ref and keys. 

Basically what you're saying is that quarters should be replaced with gumballs. 

I'd really suggest you read both the OP and what I wrote, as my comment is very valid; and actually makes sense. 

the OP is asking what would replace ref as a currency....Why in gods name would a cheaper item (which is closely tied to metal anyway) replace metal. It literally makes no sense. There is absolutely no reason for something that is worth less than a ref to replace metal as a currency as there is scrap, rec, and ref which covers the whole lower-end currency. 

The most likely thing to happen will be that TOD tickets (or something similar) become a true currency bridging the gap between ref and keys. 

Basically what you're saying is that quarters should be replaced with gumballs. 

You're stating that there is already metal to cover these things, the OP was asking about a situation in which metal is basically made worthless.

You're stating that there is already metal to cover these things, the OP was asking about a situation in which metal is basically made worthless.

If metal is worthless then tokens are also worthless. Tokens are tied to ref just the same as weapons are. 

If metal is worthless then tokens are also worthless. Tokens are tied to ref just the same as weapons are. 

Tokens are tied to weapons, not ref, and that's just a suggestion as a replacement without counting in the effects of metal going down.

Tokens are tied to weapons, not ref, and that's just a suggestion as a replacement without counting in the effects of metal going down.

Tokens are tied to weapons, as is ref. The two will maintain a constant in relation to eachother. So, unless valve changes the way metal is crafted or the way tokens are crafted it would literally make no sense for tokens to replace metal. 

Guys please stop arguing.

What I meant by asking about what sort of item(s) could/would replace metal as a currency is basically what you'd imagine, meaning it doesn't necessarily have to be something that currently exists.  It could be something hypothetical.

For the record, I don't think tokens could ever become a currency.

Metal will most always being a currency; if not, the market itself will take a HUGE hit, weapons may not be proportionally valued, all other currencies would experience a ripple effect, etc. 

The second question. If random craft hats aren't a currency, then that would likely fill the gap. If it is... then that would fill the role of Refined Metal.

Archived