How to Use backpack.tf Video Tutorials

Julia Gillard the Honest

Recently I've been mentally preparing a bunch of video tutorials for using backpack.tf. I'm thinking about making a bunch of different ones, each just a few minutes. It would be something like a separate video for, say, each of the following topics.

(1) How to use the price list and how to interpret prices (the last part being especially important for unusuals). (This would be the first and pilot episode.)

(2) How to create a forum profile so as to enable you to participate in our discussions (no idea if this is necessary but I think that it might be helpful to the younger users).

(3) How to suggest a price for in the price list.

(4) How to make an unusual suggestion.

I also have a few smaller topics in mind (such as what to do to avoid being banned again if that has happened and how to respond to rude comments) but would leave them until last. I'm thinking about starting this in a few days but taking two or three months to do the main ones (the above listed ones) because I want to do a great job of it and make them of a quality worthy of publication here.

Basically I'm wanting to make video complements of all of the advice-for-using-backpack.tf comments.

To Brad Pitt, What are your thoughts about this and if you're happy for me to do this, may I have your permission to create videos showing your website and forum? To avoid offending anyone, I would only use either my own profile and suggestions as examples, or those of someone whose permission I will obtain beforehand.

Before beginning this project, I also want to make sure that I don't do anything that anyone else is currently doing. For example, I've found that LaggyLaptop (http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/1162-how-to-use-backpacktf-properly/) was planning to make a video about actually using the website, which sounds like what I would use as my pilot episode. If anyone has already made a video on any of the topics that I'm considering then instead I will refer to that video rather than make a rival.

Please feel free to give thoughts or suggestions for this idea. The only thing that I won't be doing is giving a definite time of completion because, as I suggested above, I would rather spend weeks working on each one.

many words

I think it's a good idea. Visual stimulation would be very nice for those who don't read the guides. I'm all for it.

I was just about to do this but picture based and not video.

But I know that brad would looooooooooooooooooooooooooove it. He has been wanting this for a while.

I added you, If you are good with videos I can help with content, there are a few topics I want to make sure are brought up, especially unusual history tracking and connecting the dots with unusual trades.

I was just about to do this but picture based and not video.

But I know that brad would looooooooooooooooooooooooooove it. He has been wanting this for a while.

I added you, If you are good with videos I can help with content, there are a few topics I want to make sure are brought up, especially unusual history tracking and connecting the dots with unusual trades.

Added you back. Sorry for not catching that in time! I've got a fair bit of work to do over the rest of the week and will then be traveling until the middle of next week so can't make any promises about times when I'll be around yet. My video-making skills are not professional at all (I just do the basic Google search whenever I want to learn how to do something). At the moment I'm still looking around for potential ideas/programs to use. I'm planning to start making the first one in about three weeks after collecting ideas and learning the technical requirements so that it'll be ready (as a draft) in about one month from now.

So that's my plan for now. Thanks greatly for offering to help out too! I'll say more and contact you whenever I can.

For anyone else who would like to mention anything that you would me to include on my part, feel free to let me know (within the next few weeks)!

You should also do a picture based guide like Jon said. There are plenty of times where it's one things which I have a problem with and don't want to hunt through a video to find it, and others where I just don't want to watch a video, or just unable to.

Yeah, I was thinking about this some time ago.

Because there are lots of people who needs a video, because who wants to read a wall of text anyway?

I could do commentary if needed. Videos are a hobby of mine.

Santa's commentary of wisdom and doom, if you need a partener ,, I'm in :P

This would be a beautiful idea, as there are a lot of visual learners out there, who simply don't check the forums for how to make good suggestions, or cannot understand the information provided in those tutorials. If I may add to, I would say to keep the wording as simple as possible, for others who do not speak English fluently, or do not have a very extensive English vocabulary. It would definitely be a major help to newer people or ones who simply cannot figure out how to make a good suggestion, for example, HeavyLord.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and tips given so far! Just a small update: At the moment I'm planning to use Microsoft Expression Encoder to make the video parts. I've still got a busy week ahead but will have some time next weekend to mess around with it, learn how to work it and hopefully start planning out a pilot a bit more.

This is really a fantastic idea. I have seen so many people that didnt know what they were doing when suggesting a price and honestly believed that prices were based on opinion. A video would help iron this out for them

Hello BP.TF,

Just updating about progress so far: Basically there is none to see yet. :P I'm still just messing around with what I have. Just wanted to let you know that I'm working on it.

Hello BP.TF,

Just updating about progress so far: Basically there is none to see yet. :P I'm still just messing around with what I have. Just wanted to let you know that I'm working on it.

You should contact Jon personally, he's working on a guide.

Archived