How does one set up two displays without a dual HDMI port?

cleverpun

As title. I have a Radeon R9 280x and an MSI Z97 motherboard. I want to have my regular monitor and my HDTV connected at the same time for splitscreen/local coop play. Do I plug the tv into the motherboard's HDMI port, or do I have to use the video card's VGA cable for the monitor? Or is there some splitter or something I can buy since VGA is lame?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

No signal will be sent to the mobo's hdmi port so you'll have to plug it to the video card. You probably want to buy a display port or a DVI cable and use it for your TV or monitor

No signal will be sent to the mobo's hdmi port so you'll have to plug it to the video card. You probably want to buy a display port or a DVI cable and use it for your TV or monitor

you cna output from both the mobo and the gpu at the same time. 

Will that affect the video quality?

Well, one will be running off the integrated gpu and one will be running off the 280x. 

If you intend to game on both monitors at the same time (co op style -- like running multiple instances of the game) then either both will suffer (if the 280x is rendering both) or only the one on integrated graphics will suffer....regardless, both will suffer a bit as the cpu will be an issue. 

On the other hand, if its a split screen game, and therefore you're still just rendering one image and just want it to be mirrored on the other monitor, then there will be no performance issue (but both should be powered off the gpu). 

Well, one will be running off the integrated gpu and one will be running off the 280x. 

If you intend to game on both monitors at the same time (co op style -- like running multiple instances of the game) then either both will suffer (if the 280x is rendering both) or only the one on integrated graphics will suffer....regardless, both will suffer a bit as the cpu will be an issue. 

On the other hand, if its a split screen game, and therefore you're still just rendering one image and just want it to be mirrored on the other monitor, then there will be no performance issue (but both should be powered off the gpu). 

Well that would be fine for Awesomenauts or some other light game, but I was also planning to use this for the PreSequel splitscreen hack, which does run multiple instances of the game in order to work. I don't expect it to look great (since it's obviously not as optimized as a properly coded splitscreen game), but I was hoping there would be some way to get it to work on multiple monitors instead of using one TV and the worse FOV that creates

I imagine you set it up as any other multi-monitor set-up.  Your GPU has an HDMI port and a display port.  You can always get an adapter for whatever you need (DVI/HDMI and display port/HDMI/DVI)

Well that would be fine for Awesomenauts or some other light game, but I was also planning to use this for the PreSequel splitscreen hack, which does run multiple instances of the game in order to work. I don't expect it to look great (since it's obviously not as optimized as a properly coded splitscreen game), but I was hoping there would be some way to get it to work on multiple monitors instead of using one TV and the worse FOV that creates

Well, you can either both play at crap settings off the 280x, or one of you plays at high while the other plays at even worse settings. In either event, you would just run one monitor as an extension of the other and its up to you to decide whether you want them both powered off the gpu or if you want one of the gpu and one off the iGPU. 

my card has DVI, VGA, HDMI and display port or something like that. i just plug them into the different ports

980s have 3 dp 1 hdmi and 1 dual link dvi

980s have 3 dp 1 hdmi and 1 dual link dvi

I only built my rig today, was waiting for all the parts to get here x) when i posted that, i was still using my old pc with some AMD HD7XXX card in it

Well, I tried plugging my tv and monitor into the GPU and MOBO, respectively, and it didn't really work. The help files for Windows 8 say they both need to be plugged into the GPU, so I guess I need to buy an HDMI splitter.

Well, I tried plugging my tv and monitor into the GPU and MOBO, respectively, and it didn't really work. The help files for Windows 8 say they both need to be plugged into the GPU, so I guess I need to buy an HDMI splitter.

You have to enable integrated graphics in the motherboard BIOS. 

Bios > Settings > Advanced > Integrated Graphics Configuration > Enable "IGD Multi-Monitor" 

You have to enable integrated graphics in the motherboard BIOS. 

Yea, a google search mentioned that, but it seems like doing more work for a lower video quality is a bad idea when an HDMI splitter only costs 6 bucks :P

Yea, a google search mentioned that, but it seems like doing more work for a lower video quality is a bad idea when an HDMI splitter only costs 6 bucks :P

It takes three seconds, and with an HDMI splitter it would also be a lower quality video....remember you're running two instances of the game, which will dramatically affect performance. 

Bios > Settings > Advanced > Integrated Graphics Configuration > Enable "IGD Multi-Monitor" 

It takes three seconds, and with an HDMI splitter it would also be a lower quality video....remember you're running two instances of the game, which will dramatically affect performance. 

Yes, but running off my integrated GPU would be even worse since it is not that powerful. I may have a gaming mobo, but I doubt the integrated GPU could handle anything as visually complex as Borderlands

Yes, but running off my integrated GPU would be even worse since it is not that powerful. I may have a gaming mobo, but I doubt the integrated GPU could handle anything as visually complex as Borderlands

What mobo you have is irrelevant...But running two instances of the game will still yield meh results, even if both are off the gpu...Just don't expect excellent results either way. 

Archived