Hi guys, new to tf2

Mozzarella

Don't trade right now and ask this community for anything you want to know. It's trustworthy.

You can start with engie to learn how the battle front works and moves for any map.

Don't trade right now and ask this community for anything you want to know. It's trustworthy.

You can start with engie to learn how the battle front works and moves for any map.

Well I can learn that from my friend. Btw, here's his Steam profile:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Spissassin/

He's been playing for about 3 years and such. Told me he started trading last April 2013 since a friend gave him premium for his own.

Well if your friend has a premium account and gives you something as your first tradable item, DON'T EVER SELL IT. Even if you use bp.tf stay away from trading until you get a good 50 hours in TF2. Maybe then you could buy some keys from the Mann Co. store for $2.49 each. Following on Sugarcube's tips, visit this link https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Unusual to know more about this "hat with purple text." Stuff like these have a value as high as $20.000 IRL. Some reading on the TF2 wiki and scams/sharking/phishing wouldn't hurt either.

If you ever get the Gibus hat, wear it with pride. Don't let those elitists bring you down just because you use the Gibus. They say getting the Gibus doesn't require skill. Well you dominated another person to get the Gibus. Dominations = 3 kills on the same opponent without being killed back. That requires at least some skill right? And please don't believe that being premium = insta pro/skills, for me it's actually premium = more understanding about the game and the community, especially in the trading part. Remember, you CAN be a pro F2P. Good luck!

He does teach me how trades do work(see above link) and how bp.tf works but right now I'm just interested in playing the game.

He does teach me how trades do work(see above link) and how bp.tf works but right now I'm just interested in playing the game.

That's a smart thing to do for right now. Remember that offline mode is your friend for the first couple of days. Start online once you get the hang of whatever class you main as. If you don't know what your main is, here's a few things you'll eventually learn about each class to help you pick:

Scout: The scout is the fastest class, but also one of, if not the weakest. His job is fast recovery, meaning he gets in, captures points/intelligence, and gets the hell out ASAP, while also annoying a few enemies here and there. If you've got a serious need 4 speed, and can safely deal some damage while taking little yourself, I suggest the Baby Face's Blaster, but only after you get used to using the stock scattergun.

Soldier: The second slowest movement and second-highest health class. Deals big damage at medium to long range. Aim for people's feet to send them flying, and don't use the direct hit unless you've spent too much time perfecting your aim (kinda pointless when the soldier is perfect for those with shit aim like myself).

Pyro: Pressing W (forward) and holding down M1 (fire) is frowned upon by some in the community (called, appropriately, WM1-ing), mainly because you're a walking fire storm chasing down enemies. The pyro is the best class for spy-checking (checking to see if a fellow teammate is actually an enemy spy) because he sets enemies on fire, which only takes 1/200th of your ammo and leaves a temporary mark on the bastards, until they either die (or dead-ring, which is annoying as hell) or run into water/health packs. Keep burning them once they're exposed and eventually they'll die (afterward, still burn the surrounding area as a Dead Ringer fakes their death). Overall, the pyro is an engineer's best friend as he protects buildings from spies (a few weapons destroy sappers too). Also, two words can easily describe the pyro: schizophrenic pyromaniac. Don't believe me? Google "Meet the Pyro."

Demoman: The demo is the token black character a good camping class, meaning he's good at defending one spot and either exploding his sticky bombs (think C4 in that they stay in one spot until detonated) or ambushing enemies with grenades and/or his melee. The demo also has a Demoknight version, which is when he replaces his explosives and melee with a shield, sword, and (optionally) a peg-leg or metal booties. Demoknights are for people who love the element of surprise and are totally willing to charge (literally) headlong into enemies and slicing off their heads.

Heavy: Heavies are the slowest class, but also have the most health. They're much, much better at short range, making them best at defending a control point, bomb, or intelligence. In short, they're walking sentry guns. Also, heavies tend to have medics nearby due to their high health and damage per second output, so if you love having a medic on you like zits on a virgin, be a heavy. However, heavy isn't really a good class to main as due to that speed. He's more of a secondary after your main isn't good enough at defending.

Engineer: Engies are built for protecting one spot and staying there. They build sentries for killing, dispensers for healing and supplying ammo, and teleporters for getting your team to the front line faster. Never be an attacking engineer unless you have a gunslinger and want to be annoying as hell by spamming mini-sentries. Watch out for spies, because they can sap your buildings, leaving them useless until you destroy the sappers with your wrench. Never, I repeat NEVER remove a sapper from a teleporter exit while standing on it; spies can do what's called telefragging, where they sap a teleporter entrance, wait on top of it for you to destroy it, then teleport and kill you instantly, all without the need for a weapon. Then the spy simply saps your buildings most likely nearby without you there to kill them.

Medic: As the name implies, medics are team healers. Please, I repeat PLEASE don't just pocket (heal only one person) a heavy or soldier unless there's another medic on your team; medics that pocket only while the team dies are the reason God stopped talking to us. I main as medic mainly because I suck at actual combat, and I'm much better at helping teammates than killing people (plus I get lag more often than others, so head-on combat isn't always an option). Good medics are always a great addition to a team, even if they just pocket (although that, like I said, can be quite annoying).

Sniper: Ah, the sniper. Specializing in headshots and no-scope-360ing. When playing a rifle sniper, stay as far away from actual combat as possible, for obvious reasons. If you're using a huntsman or fortified compound (bows and arrows), stay a little ways away from combat, but not as far as with a rifle, singe you can't zoom with bows. Spies are a threat, but not always a big one since they're more likely to kill engies and more-experienced snipers.

Spy: Spies are for cowards people who love playing facade and humiliating enemies. As a spy, it's best to kill engies with sentries, but only after placing a sapper on their sentries, since any kind of attack will get rid of your disguise. Practice a LOT offline before even considering being a spy online, because nothing brings a team down quite like a bad spy.

There's obviously more to each class than what I've said, but that's the basics of it. NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER BECOME A SPY OR SNIPER WHEN THERE'S ALREADY 1 OR 2 OF EACH ON YOUR TEAMRemember that it's not necessary to have a main. It's always better to be mediocre at every class than awful at most classes. It's also better to have more than one main in case one is not needed. I, for example, play as medic until there's another one on my team (unless my team is large), in which case I play as either scout, soldier, pyro, or sometimes heavy.

TL;DR each class has its own abilities that you should take advantage of and master based on your own abilities. This is why many people love TF2; it's tons of fun to explore your combat talents instead of being another generic soldier fighting other generic soldiers.

PS: It's also cool to prefer a class based on their personalities. The scout's an annoyingly young Boston athlete who loves women almost as much as he loves baseball. The soldier's you average dim-witted patriotic American John Doe who hates every non-American enemy class, minus the Demoman (read the comics to find out the relationship between the red demo and blue soldier). The pyro can't speak, and very little is known about him minus 3 hard facts: he loves fire, he's got the mind of a 5 year old girl, and he never removes his mask; hell, overall there's a lot of arguments that he's even male (Game Theory suggests he's a homosexual male, which I stand behind myself). The demo's a drunk black Scottish cyclops, who drinks on every day that ends with a y and blows up anything that moves. The heavy's a Russian giant whose intelligence is neck-and-neck with the soldier's, and who also loves big guns and sandwiches. The engineer is one of the smartest Texans you'll ever meet, and has that signature southern charm. The medic is a crazy s.o.b whose healing abilities are "only a side effect" (TF2 Wiki) of his actual experiments on the human body. The sniper's a polite and efficient 'Strailian assassin who talks to himself a lot due to his isolation from other classes. The spy's a classic French asshole who is constantly fighting with the scout given the spy's classiness and the scout's laid-back attitude.

What a nice friend you have there, mine gave me a G. Distinguished Rogue for the Spy and told me nothing about it. I then sold it for items worth about 1 rec total.

ocu people are horrible traders that wants to buy prices lower the bp.tf price and sell for a high amount for profit.

o.W.n are weird fanboys from a SFM that has 5 parts and counting and the group is just terrible by itself so if you see someone with the o.W.n tag, stay away from them

You are giving a new player a terrible advice.

I don't know about OWN. But my group, = ocu =, is dedicated to prevent scamming and provide traders with a friendly and safe trading environment with good prices. We buy AND sell most items less than backpack.tf prices. We don't charge for paints, parts, killstreaks. We pay way more than similar sites like scrap.tf . Most new players are better off trading safely with our bots than getting potentially getting scammed / sharked by others. We have a very clear operation, and our prices are available to public. Tell me what's bad about all of this.

As an answer to the original poster, = ocu = is a trading bot based community, with over 20 thousand members. Our members are allowed to wear = ocu = tags, after taking a pledge, that involves not scamming anyone, being polite, courteous, and basically not being a nuisance. But, some of our members are very young, and do not spend much time reading anything. Some of them are also not old enough to understand basic trading ethics. We do our best to educate our younger members, but there's always a few that go around and cause trouble, like naughty kids. We have monthly giveaways, and buy-in raffles to keep our users entertained. Other than that, our bots buy and sell a very wide variety of items, for less than backpack.tf prices.

Whoever has told you to never trust us in trading is a- either clueless about what my group truly is b-  is tired of these naughty ones (which I understand) or c- has a grudge against us due to either personal gain, or other reasons. While I cannot vouch for every single one of our members (especially because anyone and everyone can join the group), me and my staff do our best to keep our community scammer free. Our bots do not trade with scammers, and we have absolutely no tolerance for them.

Feel free to add me if you wish to learn more about us, and trading in general.

Here is our group's link, it's better if you go there and find out about it yourself, rather than listening to other people:  http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ocuTradeNetwork

-snip-

what about the fact that you give rewards to people with = ocu = in their names

its not annoying i just find it odd that you give people (who most of the time are the stuck up ones) free perks for having a tag in their name and not something more meaningful 

what about the fact that you give rewards to people with = ocu = in their names

its not annoying i just find it odd that you give people (who most of the time are the stuck up ones) free perks for having a tag in their name and not something more meaningful 

Please Google "Brand awareness" and "Customer Loyalty", and you'll have your answer.

Also, I explained the pledge that aims to educate the younger traders a bit. We are trying to help the TF2 community, but certain individuals who lack insight perceive it as harmful, based on the actions of very few.

• Administrators

My tips:

Always use BP.TF for prices

Sorry but I have to somewhat disagree with you on this. Bp.tf is a pricing guide. Sometimes bp.tf price are outdated and not correct. However, I would re-word his sentence to this :

Use bp.tf for getting idea of a price on a certain item. Don't blindly follow it. 

Archived