Anonabox

Pyrocide

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boiled down...its an anonymizer.

Oh, like an IP scrambler sort of thing.

We REALLY don't need anything like that in the public domain.

Why not just actively promote cyber-crime.

Oh, like an IP scrambler sort of thing.

We REALLY don't need anything like that in the public domain.

Why not just actively promote cyber-crime.

Well that is a grey area on if cyber-crime is really a crime or a justification of use... Corrupt cops (that are never punished - except with maybe paid leave) having their personal info leaked and life made miserable as a result is just, IMO.

Its not just for cyber-crime as I am sure you can understand. I prefer to not to have cameras in my bedroom, bathroom or kitchen put there by the government looking at my every move, why would I want them on my internet browser looking at what I do or see on the web? Regardless of what you might think, its only a small niche of the 4 million + users on TOR that do illicit activities; which Silk Road was a major contributor to that and was also shutdown last year. The rest are circumventing censorship, browsing anonymously, etc.

I also support 100% anonymity on the web.

TOR overview

Well that is a grey area on if cyber-crime is really a crime or a justification of use.

What, no. Cyber-crime is crime. I'm, not even going to elaborate on that.

What a coincidence. I just had a sparked interest in TOR and other such programs. Every technology can be used for both good or evil, and we shouldn't stop the greater good for the smaller evil. Hell, 80% of TOR funding comea from the us government.

What, no. Cyber-crime is crime. I'm, not even going to elaborate on that.

IMO that is blatantly misguided...IMO only fools agree with every law.

So what do you consider whistleblowing through evidence found by hacking and leaks?

By US law its considered crime, but is it in your opinion?

IMO that is blatantly erroneous...

So what do you consider whistleblowing through evidence found by hacking and leaks?

By US law its considered crime, but is it in your opinion?

I'm British, you can blow all the whistles you like.

It's only you and your 'freedom' that stifles people.

Whistle-blowing is a whole other argument. If your government's hiding something from you, there's either a good reason or you need to get a better government. Besides, I hardly think some little doodad is going to stop the FBI finding you if they want to. 

I'm British

If your government's hiding something from you, there's either a good reason or you need to get a better government.

1) Wtf does your nationality has to do with anything here.

2) One of the most asinine comments I have ever seen regarding government censorship. How deluded are you that the government actually benefits everyone?

You still didnt answer the question. Is it or is it not a cyber-crime for a whistleblower to leak data/information/documents that the public should know about?

ex. The Crown or PM was systematically eradicating/exterminating/gassing Muslims from the UK. Only one person knew about it and they blew the whistle.

Im not trying to stop the FBI from finding me, I have a house, a mortgage, 2 phone numbers, a social security number and a number of other things to tie me to a physical location where I am at every day.

TOR is used regularly by people in countries with much more intrusive government web surveillance to circumvent blocks imposed at a national level.  Last I checked though there was a fairly serious hole in the methodology used that allows someone operating multiple exit points to slowly discover the other users in the system. 

Using TOR for illicit activities is mostly a waste. It is too slow to be particularly effective.

TOR is used regularly by people in countries with much more intrusive government web surveillance to circumvent blocks imposed at a national level.  Last I checked though there was a fairly serious hole in the methodology used that allows someone operating multiple exit points to slowly discover the other users in the system. 

Using TOR for illicit activities is mostly a waste. It is too slow to be particularly effective at downloading/streaming/uploading/anything requiring HIGH bandwidth.

1) Wtf does your nationality has to do with anything here.

2) One of the most asinine comments I have ever seen regarding government censorship. How deluded are you that the government actually benefits everyone?

You still didnt answer the question. Is it or is it not a cyber-crime for a whistleblower to leak data/information/documents that the public should know about?

ex. The Crown or PM was systematically eradicating/exterminating/gassing Muslims from the UK. Only one person knew about it and they blew the whistle.

Im not trying to stop the FBI from finding me, I have a house, a mortgage, 2 phone numbers, a social security number and a number of other things to tie me to a physical location where I am at every day.

British matters because we don't have whistles to blow. The biggest thing our government ever lied to us about was their expenses. And that was a 'scandal'.

As a politics student, the only asinine assumption here is that the government doesn't benefit everyone. I'd elaborate, but I daresay you'd disregard everything I said. Your tone and example implies you're that sort of person.

Whistleblowing should be decided on a case-by-case basis, there is no 'right' answer. For example, I recall a case where documents pertaining to the Falklands War were leaked to the public. A jury in a crown court ruled the defendant was not guilty because it was in the public interest. On the other end of the spectrum we have, say, Julian Assange, who's leak did indeed endanger national and international security, and which I believe is a cyber-criminal.

Your example is an impossibility. For very obvious reasons. Reasons I almost pity you if I'd have to explain.

British matters because we don't have whistles to blow. The biggest thing our government ever lied to us about was their expenses. And that was a 'scandal'.

As a politics student, the only asinine assumption here is that the government doesn't benefit everyone. I'd elaborate, but I daresay you'd disregard everything I said. Your tone and example implies you're that sort of person.

Whistleblowing should be decided on a case-by-case basis, there is no 'right' answer. For example, I recall a case where documents pertaining to the Falklands War were leaked to the public. A jury in a crown court ruled the defendant was not guilty because it was in the public interest. On the other end of the spectrum we have, say, Julian Assange, who's leak did indeed endanger national and international security, and which I believe is a cyber-criminal.

Your example is an impossibility. For very obvious reasons. Reasons I almost pity you if I'd have to explain.

Not an impossibility, just a exceedingly unlikely circumstance.

Not an impossibility, just a exceedingly unlikely circumstance.

No. Completely impossible.

You think the Prime Minister, one person could kill that many people and re-direct that much money, hell, even build the compound where this is taking place, and you think ONE person would find out and no more?

It's a stupid, asinine, meaningless, pointless, pathetic, appeal-to-emotion example.

No. Completely impossible.

You think the Prime Minister, one person could kill that many people and re-direct that much money, hell, even build the compound where this is taking place, and you think ONE person would find out and no more?

It's a stupid asinine example.

It's possible, just highly unlikely. Impossible is absolute, and this is not an absolute. I agree it's a bad example, but that was an incorrect statement.

It's possible, just highly unlikely. Impossible is absolute, and this is not an absolute. I agree it's a bad example, but that was an incorrect statement.

I'm prepared to argue it's an absolute. Go for it. elaborate on the ways this could in any way happen.

I'm prepared to argue it's an absolute. Go for it.

That's not how debating for an absolute works. Just saying it can't happen is not an acceptable answer, neither is asking me to prove it can happen. Very very few things can be an absolute.

That's not how debating for an absolute works. Just saying it can't happen is not an acceptable answer, neither is asking me to prove it can happen. Very very few things can be an absolute.

You're absolute that this can't be absolute. Interesting.

Either way this is off-topic.

You're absolute that this can't be absolute. Interesting.

Either way I can't think of a reply so I'm redirecting

We can debate this if you want, PM me. But not here, it's off-topic.

Using TOR for illicit activities is mostly a waste. It is too slow to be particularly effective.

You are still less likely to be caught using for than IE let's say. Any layer of protection is better than none I guess. Almost no one got arrested in the early part of this century when the government cracked down on things like music piracy. Its too much work for a relatively small crime.

You are still less likely to be caught using for than IE let's say. Any layer of protection is better than none I guess. Almost no one got arrested in the early part of this century when the government cracked down on things like music piracy. Its too much work for a relatively small crime.

Well, downloading music is a different beast. It's uploading copyrighted material that's the big issue, hence Megaupload got taken down, filtering and proxying of sites has spiked, etc etc.

I'm just of the opinion that, with such a device, the ability for mis-demeanor outweighs that of, being a vigilante, or whatever the pro-argument is. 

Well, downloading music is a different beast. It's uploading copyrighted material that's the big issue, hence Megaupload got taken down, filtering and proxying of sites has spiked, etc etc.

I'm just of the opinion that, with such a device, the ability for mis-demeanor outweighs that of, being a vigilante, or whatever the pro-argument is.

Most aren't buying it to commit crimes. It hasn't been difficult to crack by experienced teams. People are buying mostly it in fear that the government or your average hacker will be able to easily track your internet use (which they can) Most people don't want the NSA sneaking around on your average internet user.

The way TOR works makes it simply TOO SLOW to be used for uploading copyrighted content or coordinating an attack on anything but the most insecure of webservers. There are plenty of reasons to want to hide your online activities other than illicit activities.

1. Communicating with dissident parties in countries run by Dictators or Oligarchies

2. Passing sensitive documents when you have a fear of detection by third parties. (this could include: corporate espionage, stalkers, identity thieves, other stuff that I can't think of off the top of my head)

Those are the main uses of TOR. Just because a tool can be used for illicit activities does not mean that is it's primary use.

Archived