Difference between sharking and misrepresenting a price

Explosion-chan

Not sure if this is the right place, but I want input for your personal definition or the definition you see used. In my eyes, a shark is when the person doing the sharking puts up an item of less value for one of much more value without claiming a price. Misrepresenting comes when the shark claims that an item has X value when the actual value is <X. The difference is the price claim.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But either way, neither is scamming, is the point.

But the point is that there is an option to report for misrepresentation on steamrep.

But the point is that there is an option to report for misrepresentation on steamrep.

Misrepresentation of items I.E. Signed by Star_ and it's just signed by a alt.

Misrepresentation of items I.E. Signed by Star_ and it's just signed by a alt.

Report Type: [item Fraud] Misrepresenting virtual items

Virtual item type involved: [steam] Steam Games

Claiming a price would fall under this category.

Report Type: [item Fraud] Misrepresenting virtual items

Virtual item type involved: [steam] Steam Games

Claiming a price would fall under this category.

Nope.

Nope.

What is a Scammer?

A scammer is anyone that uses deception, thievery, lies, or anything that is underhanded to take advantage of or steal from another trader. See below for more comprehensive list of what qualifies for SCAMMER status.

That's what I found on Steamrep FAQ. Since I couldn't find the Steamrep definition of Misrepresentation, I will provide the Websters definition:

mis·rep·re·sent verb \(ˌ)mis-ˌre-pri-ˈzent\

: to describe (someone or something) in a false way especially in order to deceive someone : to give someone a false idea about (something or someone)

Claiming something costs more than it actually does for the purpose of profit is giving a false idea about something.

How about we don't bother with steamrep and use our own discretion to trade? If you want to shark, go for it. If you want to help others, help them learn about the sharks.

What is a Scammer?

A scammer is anyone that uses deception, thievery, lies, or anything that is underhanded to take advantage of or steal from another trader. See below for more comprehensive list of what qualifies for SCAMMER status.

That's what I found on Steamrep FAQ. Since I couldn't find the Steamrep definition of Misrepresentation, I will provide the Websters definition:

mis·rep·re·sent verb \(ˌ)mis-ˌre-pri-ˈzent\

: to describe (someone or something) in a false way especially in order to deceive someone : to give someone a false idea about (something or someone)

Claiming something costs more than it actually does for the purpose of profit is giving a false idea about something.

Nope. Not a scammer. A shark.

How about we don't bother with steamrep and use our own discretion to trade? If you want to shark, go for it. If you want to help others, help them learn about the sharks.

I'm sorry, but I think you missed the point. I didn't fall for the scam, I was reporting a guy who tried to scam and wanted to be sure of the definition.

I'm sorry, but I think you missed the point. I didn't fall for the scam, I was reporting a guy who tried to scam and wanted to be sure of the definition.

The definition of a scam is to mislead a user into giving their hat and not to overprice your item.

The definition of a scam is to mislead a user into giving their hat and not to overprice your item.

claiming one price when the actual price is different is not misleading?

So, if I, hypothetically, offered 3 keys on a cheap heavy unusual (that runs for about 10~) to a guy on a server and the guy accepts, would I be scamming? Sharking? Especially if I never pressured the guy and he was more than willing to accept the offer? Is that worthy of a ban and scammer tag?

claiming one price when the actual price is different is not misleading?

Am I scamming by saying my unpriced hat is worth 10 buds when it is in fact valued at 0 keys?

So, if I, hypothetically, offered 3 keys on a cheap heavy unusual (that runs for about 10~) to a guy on a server and the guy accepts, would I be scamming? Sharking? Especially if I never pressured the guy and he was more than willing to accept the offer? Is that worthy of a ban and scammer tag?

Honest answer, sharking. you didn't pressure him or anything

Nope, you didn't claim it was worth that price, you just sent the trade.

So if I don't tell the other guy anything about prices, just asking him if he wants my weapon for his bill's hat, and he agreed, I'm not a sharker?

So if I don't tell the other guy anything about prices, just asking him if he wants my weapon for his bill's hat, and he agreed, I'm not a sharker?

You're a sharker, but not a scammer. That was my point about this whole post.

Can you just understand that pricing something highly isn't scamming? If valuing something higher than it's backpack.tf value every trader who has ever owned a unpriced unusual will be marked. They technically sold it for way more than it's 'value'.

Can you just understand that pricing something highly isn't scamming? If valuing something higher than it's backpack.tf value every trader who has ever owned a unpriced unusual will be marked. They technically sold it for way more than it's 'value'.

a.k.a. everybody on outpost

Nope. Not a scammer. A shark.

FYI there is nothing wrong with 'sharking' if you don't misrepresent or try to decieve the other user. If the guy wants a weapon for his hat, so be it. As long as you aren't telling him "this weapon is worth more than the hat" it's not decieving in any way.

You're a sharker, but not a scammer. That was my point about this whole post.

Incorrect. Read above.

You wouldn't be a shark or a scammer, you would have just got a good deal. Telling him it's worth 5 weapons is sharking.

Archived