Mask Making Tips

>Sneaks

So, Halloween is coming up and I want to make a Japanese Hannya/Oni mask, similar to the Noh Mercy or to one of the masks in Jackie Chan Adventure.

Does anybody have tips for actually making the mask?

I'm thinking of starting with a paper-mache base (to get the length and width that is needed to cover my face.)

Following that I want to use clay to make the actual mask and do the general face.

Any recommendations for a clay that will harden will but won't be as delicate as ceramic or heavy (I don't have access to a kiln.)

Also, any tips for attaching fangs and horns? I was thinking of making them separetely and then attaching them with a superglue or something.

So, Halloween is coming up and I want to make a Japanese Hannya/Oni mask, similar to the Noh Mercy or to one of the masks in Jackie Chan Adventure.

Does anybody have tips for actually making the mask?

I'm thinking of starting with a paper-mache base (to get the length and width that is needed to cover my face.)

Following that I want to use clay to make the actual mask and do the general face.

Any recommendations for a clay that will harden will but won't be as delicate as ceramic or heavy (I don't have access to a kiln.)

Also, any tips for attaching fangs and horns? I was thinking of making them separetely and then attaching them with a superglue or something.

Not sure about the clay, but sugru works good for things like fangs and horns. You could probably mold the horns and fangs out of sugru and let them form to the mask, no need for glue.

From what I read, sugru appears to be a silicon based clay. I'm not so sure how well paint would adhere to it but it might be worth a try (I'm on a college budget, unemployed)

From what I read, sugru appears to be a silicon based clay. I'm not so sure how well paint would adhere to it but it might be worth a try (I'm on a college budget, unemployed)

Use a homemade version. There are recipes all over the internet, mostly using silicone caulk.

Archived