Boop. Suddenly you have the last surviving Earbud.

CommissarDennis

It was just a regular day in TF2, but by some mistake all of the Earbuds seem to have dissappeared!

All except one in your backpack.

How will this affect the market? What will happen to your backpack value? What do you think will substitute for the once former backbone of Unusual trading? What will YOU do if you had the last surviving Earbud? Any other thoughts?

You can't set a value on something that's never going to be sold, because that last remaining earbud would stay with me forever.  I'd have to shift the earbud to a private alt account though.  Just to avoid people adding me trying to buy it.

How would it affect the market?  Well, the market would be pretty well fucked.  There's no viable alternative currency to buds, which means people would have to rely heavily on keys and secondary promos like max heads and the bmoc, etc.  This would increase demand on all to those items, raising the trade values and in some cases raising the monetary values.  The community market might take over a lot more than it has already, and people would get frustrated as it becomes more apparent that investing real world cash into the system is the most effective way to get ahead.  Unusuals would probably take a dive.  They'd still remain valuable, for the most part.

I've never actually owned an earbud, I wouldn't know how this would feel

Mmmaybe get something really cool that I've always wanted, like a bunch of Strange cosmetic stuff. I mean, a lot of the stuff that I want is pretty cheap already, so it's not like having THE LAST BUD would make a ginormous impact. A lot of the stuff I want is for more personal liking or such, not because I want profit. Seriously, my dream unusual for Scout is a Steaming Hermes. So I don't really know how to answer this question lel

How would it affect the market?  Well, the market would be pretty well fucked.  There's no viable alternative currency to buds, which means people would have to rely heavily on keys and secondary promos like max heads and the bmoc, etc.  This would increase demand on all to those items, raising the trade values and in some cases raising the monetary values.  The community market might take over a lot more than it has already, and people would get frustrated as it becomes more apparent that investing real world cash into the system is the most effective way to get ahead.  Unusuals would probably take a dive.  They'd still remain valuable, for the most part.

Wat

Market wouldn't do much more than hiccup

Bill's, Max's Heads, B.M.O.C.s, Australiums, S. Festives, and maybe even just good ol' keys would all shift slightly and almost instantly fill the void left by Earbuds.

Remember, Earbuds really aren't worth shit intrinsically--lots were  sold for something silly like a reclaimed, before they gained recognition as currency, simply because it's kind of a shit item that lots of people got for free (no offense, earbuds.)--almost all their worth comes from being currency, and there are absolutely other alternatives. No, nothing would fit exactly in the vacated slot and be worth exactly the same...but then again, Earbuds used to be almost 30 keys, and there's no currency item I can think of that currently fits in the 25-30 key slot.

...So it's almost as if the 28-29 key Earbuds were gradually removed from the game, and replaced with slightly less-valuable ones, until we got to the ~17 key Earbuds of today.

Did that break the market, and ruin TF2?

Oh, wait...it did. TF2 is ded, market is kill, ignore everything I said :(

Delete it and watch the storm unfold with a smile.

Stream that. 

Save the text chats and video replies. 

Allow the world to remember your name as He Who Deleted The Bud

SATAN

Trade to my private alt, record the "deleting", upload to YT, watch the shitstorm.

When everyone will have stopped caring about it, equip the buds and  start randomly joining trade servers, running on them for a minute each, disconnect.

People will start talk about the mysterious man with the buds, making theories and speculating on how did he get them.

Some will investigate and come to conclusion that the video of deleting The Last Buds in Universeâ„¢ was a fake.

Then I'll come out of the light and admit it.

Watch the shitstorm again, while taking offers on The Last Buds in Universeâ„¢.

Be rich.

it wont be worth very much because every hightier trader would be pissed that they lost all their buds (i.e. investment) and ditch the game

Archived