Cheater's Laments can be found?

Honor Bound

Recently, after a bit of trading, I went to play a normal game. In the middle of the battle, I saw in the chat logs that someone had found a Cheater's Lament.

I heard of Cheater's Laments being crafted, but found? That same someone also found his Mercenary badge, so it may not be all just luck of the drop system. Laments might have been given to some new players, or might have been given because of these reasons.

Alternative accounts:

This person already has the Cheater's Lament, created a new account, and was awarded a second one.

Account Retrieving:

If this person's account was hijacked, it may have been restored by Steam Support, finding the Mercenary and other things in their backpack including the Lament. Others would be given back later.

Late Receiveing: Some players were not awarded with the Cheater's Lament when they were distributed a second time during the Mann-Conomy update. This may be associated with Account retrieving excluding the idea that the player already had one.

That's what I think.  Feel free to place counter-argument or supporting arguments below.

What server was it, and did you make sure the person who found the item wasn't on a server that had the fakefind plugin or wasn't an admin?

Simple solution;

He hasn't played tf2 since the update where the cheater's lament was given. That's why he also received his mercenary badge.

Archived